Margate Chamber of Horrors/ Waxworks.

The Save Dreamland Campaign was launched by Joyland Books in January 2003 and is now supported by several thousand people. This is the place to discuss all aspects of saving Margate's famous amusement park and its iconic , Grade II listed Scenic Railway, Britain's oldest roller coaster.

Moderators: dave771, porf, Sarah

Margate Chamber of Horrors/ Waxworks.

Postby Vince, Charlie and Sam » 03 Nov 2012, 19:31

I can't find anything on Google about this, but I seem to remember from my teenage years that there was a waxworks on Margate seafront, somewhere in between where Pillow Talk and Primark are today, and that it had about a dozen tableaux of murderers in the act. I remember one of 1950's serial killer Christie strangling a victim as she sat in a deckchair, and local murderer George Joseph Smith drowning one of his brides in a bath.

I'm wondering if anyone else can remember this and if they know if the exhibits went off elsewhere when it closed down or have any links or photos etc? Or did I imagine it?
Vince, Charlie and Sam

Re: Margate Chamber of Horrors/ Waxworks.

Postby jo.clarinet » 04 Nov 2012, 07:00

I remember the waxworks along that parade, exactly as you say, from the late 60s/early 70s. I don't know what happened to the exhibits after it closed though....
jo.clarinet

Postby Vince, Charlie and Sam » 04 Nov 2012, 20:13

Well I'm glad somebody else can remember it because I've asked about half a dozen people now and the general consensus of opinion is that I am going mad and hallucinating it! :D
Vince, Charlie and Sam

Postby Alan » 04 Nov 2012, 20:40

I can back this up too! Went to waxworks in the late 60s.

Alan
Alan

Postby John » 02 Jan 2014, 16:08

I'm carrying out research into the planning history of the property and can confirm it was previously a waxworks. In 1975 planning consent was granted for the change of use of 17 Marine Drive from a waxworks into a restaurant, with the planning case file stating that it had been used as a waxworks for many years. In 1979, Dixons arrived, thereafter using it as the basement storage area in connection with its ground floor shop at 44 High Street. I have not been able to uncover anything else about it.
John

Return to Save Dreamland Campaign Forum