We will answer all your questions about Margate

The Save Dreamland Campaign was launched by Joyland Books in January 2003 and is now supported by several thousand people. This is the place to discuss all aspects of saving Margate's famous amusement park and its iconic , Grade II listed Scenic Railway, Britain's oldest roller coaster.

Moderators: dave771, porf, Sarah

Postby Danny87 » 01 Jul 2004, 21:08

Thanks for that! I'd love to know why it was pulled down and whenabouts!
I'll drop you a mail if I think of anything else I'd like to find out about :D
Dan
Danny87

Margate Pier

Postby Nick Evans » 04 Jul 2004, 19:16

Several of you are asking about the storm damage booklet of 1978. This little booklet was published by the East Kent Times newspaper - which closed down at the beginning of 1981 when it was bought out by the Isle of Thanet Gazette. The photographs therein were taken by John Wilson and Brian Green. I'm happy to say both are alive and well, John retired about five years ago while Brian, still a mere stripling at heart, is picture editor for Adscene based at Canterbury (Brian was in his late teens when he took his storm photos). Copies of the book are quite scarce and I cherish my copy now. When the secondhand bookshops do get them, they sell for about £5 a time. If you have a good copy, keep it carefully!
Nick Evans

Postby Danny87 » 04 Jul 2004, 21:35

Hi Nick,
My interest in Margate was newly aroused after my mum bought me a very interesting book "Dreamland Remembered" by someone called Nick Evans :shock:
I loved the book as it had many pictures from the time I lived there (1973 to 1984) and was really interesting so thanks for a great book!

Onto the booklet, I'm glad someone remembered it! It's something I have been seeking for years and to finally find some information is great! I knew it was from a newspaper but didn't know which one, all I remember is my Dad showing it to me (I was 5 at the time).
I have been searching the internet for scans of the book but to no avail :(
At least I have some more information on it now so maybe something will turn up.
Thanks for the info!
Best regards,
Dan
Danny87

Postby Sarah » 05 Jul 2004, 21:06

You need the Margate Historical Society! Their secretary is a rather fabulous gent called Mick Twyman who knows everything there is to know about Margate and will almost certainly have copy of this booklet (in fact, I think he may have shown it to me). I am sure that if you get in touch he will happily copy it for you. Send me a private message and I will forward you his details.

Sarah
Sarah

Postby Danny87 » 05 Jul 2004, 22:11

Thanks Sarah, that's great! Have pm'd you so fingers crossed!
Dan
Danny87

Postby Cheryl » 06 Jul 2004, 08:58

Hi Danny. We have a copy of this booklet within our family. If you have any difficulties obtaining a copy, I would be more than happy to photocopy it for you. Are you planning a trip to Margate this summer? If you are and you need the copies perhaps I could leave them with Dave at the Scenic for you to collect (hope you don't mind Dave!). Let me know if you need them.
Cheryl
Cheryl

Postby Danny87 » 06 Jul 2004, 10:01

Hi Cheryl,
That's great! Unfortunately I can't get down to Margate at all this year because of work commitments, so I've had to put off a trip until next summer as I haven't been back for 3 years now :(
I have pm'd you regarding the booklet though.
Thanks!
Dan
Danny87

Previous

Return to Save Dreamland Campaign Forum