News of the Inquiry on the BBC

The Save Dreamland Campaign was launched by Joyland Books in January 2003 and is now supported by several thousand people. This is the place to discuss all aspects of saving Margate's famous amusement park and its iconic , Grade II listed Scenic Railway, Britain's oldest roller coaster.

Moderators: dave771, porf, Sarah

News of the Inquiry on the BBC

Postby AJ » 29 Jun 2004, 14:28

AJ

Postby imansfield » 29 Jun 2004, 18:47

From the BBC news report today :

"Chief executive Richard Samuel said: "The Dreamland site has never been completely covered in amusement park activity.

"There have always been other activities around the edge of the park, so a mixed situation could be made to work."

Am I missing something here? What else has the Dreamland site been used for over the years? Have any of these people actually ever been to the park?

Confused :?

Ian Mansfield
imansfield

Inquiry

Postby porterm » 30 Jun 2004, 23:33

Hi Ian at al,

All I can think he meant was that the site used to have other more likened to "leisure facilities", such as the old skating ring, at the bottom left of the famous entrance "tunnel" where all the amusements and shops are now located. (This old skating rink area had a high arched roof and it was said that the building was haunted). As I said quite a while ago, I hope the spirits might awaken again soon to fend off any threat of redevelopment!

I was at the Inquiry yesterday by the way, in the Informal Inquiry aspect of things. I may comment on events once I get the ok from Nick Laister, as I'm not sure if it would be apt to do so just yet.

Bye for now,

Martin :D

PS Are you going to Dreamland this weekend? - I can only get down late Saturday as working til 3.15pm
porterm

Return to Save Dreamland Campaign Forum