Memories of Dreamland / "Bemboms"

The Save Dreamland Campaign was launched by Joyland Books in January 2003 and is now supported by several thousand people. This is the place to discuss all aspects of saving Margate's famous amusement park and its iconic , Grade II listed Scenic Railway, Britain's oldest roller coaster.

Moderators: dave771, porf, Sarah

Memories of Dreamland / "Bemboms"

Postby DN » 03 Jul 2004, 12:04

Dreamland will always have a special place in my heart. I first went there when i was about 5 or six, in 1983...I remember being in awe seeing the rides, i couldnt go on much, i think i went on Th RIver Caves and the Big Wheel. At that point, if i recall, the Enterprise was behind the Scenic Railway, along with the Troika and the Zig Zag. From then on it seems we went to "Bemboms" as we called it then, about three or four times a year.
I remember in 84 when they got the WaveSwinger in, which was very pretty (is it the same one at Alton Towers?), and of course as i got older, the more rides i could go on.
The place was always so busy, queuing up before it opened and rushing through the gates to pay tyour money, getting out into the park, hearing the roar of the Lopping Star, the smell of oil and candy floss...i look at the site now and i just wanna bury my head and my hands.
Other memories i have are of the Hanseatic, (Pirate Ship) which was originally by the metal gates near Eaton Road side, then i think in 86 they moved it to the fron of the Big Wheel,and i remember that it went much higher than it used to. Also when they first brought the Apollo ride..correct me if im wrong but i seem to remember my sister and her friends signing their names on it "Sign your name on the moon" - it was a gentle ride, but a goodie.
And then sometimes youd go there and it was so busy,t he queue for the Looping Star went for ages, theyd have two trains going on..me and my friends always used to wave to the old chap who worked on it as we went up the hill..
The Mary Rose - possibly my fave ride...are there any parks that have a ride like this anymore?? Id love to go on it aghain.
I was always writing to the place getting leaflets on it and other parks like OK Corrall and PonyPark Slagharen, and another one in Germany...I used to collect all the leaflets, the Dreamland yearly leaflets with the maps inside...unfortunately i lost them, which is a shame.

I even still have my "BEmboms Gold Card" - i was ecstatic cos it looked like a credit card, you got tokens and your fourth entry free!

I have so many memories of the place, id love tow rite about it some more. I think its a crying shame what the place is now. The coucnil and press moan that Tourisnm is dead in Margate - well why do they think that is? Cos htere is NOTHING For tourists to do.

As an example, i went to SouthSea in Portsmouth the other week - their fair is smaller than Folkestones, they have a log flume, dodgems, waltzer, mini rollercoaster and mini golf course - th eplace was packed. I came back to Margate and all you see is a derelict waste ground.

Oh how i wish i had millions and milliosn fo pounds, i guarantee you i would do something with that place..
DN

Postby AJ » 03 Jul 2004, 16:12

Loudon Castle in Scotland has the Mary Rose from Dreamland at it. Its new for this season and is called The Black Pearl. Henk Bembom bought Loudon Castle at the end of 2002 I think?

http://www.loudouncastle.co.uk/
AJ

Return to Save Dreamland Campaign Forum