CPO Appeal Decision now in - TDC get right to CPO

The Save Dreamland Campaign was launched by Joyland Books in January 2003 and is now supported by several thousand people. This is the place to discuss all aspects of saving Margate's famous amusement park and its iconic , Grade II listed Scenic Railway, Britain's oldest roller coaster.

Moderators: dave771, porf, Sarah

Re: Dreamland Latest: Decision put on hold.

Postby woody » 17 Apr 2013, 23:25

SuburbanHomeboy wrote:...but there isn't actually a result posted yet, I see.

I searched for Margate Dreamland across all databases and got a single result relating to an Irish case from 2003.

sorry, should of made my post clearer, judgments are posted on there first although no result in this case yet
woody

Postby porf » 18 Apr 2013, 13:51

dave771 wrote:No information is available online as no decision has been made or announced yet. As soon as it has been made the information will be online via this website and forum. Also on the Dreamland Trust website - http://www.dreamlandmargate.com Facebook pages http://www.facebook.com/dreamland.t.margate http://www.facebook.com/savedreamlandcampaign and http://www.facebook.com/DreamlandBasil Im sure it will also appear on TDC's website which is http://www.thanet.gov.uk/

Dave,

Can you confirm if it'll also be on http://www.cheezburger.com as well ;-)
Paul Freeman
porf
Site Admin

Postby timj » 19 Apr 2013, 06:35

I'm a little confused over reports of Wayne Hemingway or whoever doing design work on the park when it hasn't been decided on yet.
Also there is the matter of the 'reserved judgement' that seems to be slipping further and further away.

Just putting two and two together, maybe it will never be 'yes or no' on the judgement, maybe a compromise has been / is being decided suitable to all or most parties especially when housing is mentioned (in the 'More than a funfair' topic on here) and "the site could also host festivals and performances" (from the BBC article).
timj

Postby porf » 19 Apr 2013, 07:33

timj : Personally I think you've put 2 and 2 together and made 43.

The High Court case is to decide whether to overturn the Secretary of State's decision to allow the CPO. I don't believe it has room for the sort of compromise deals you describe.

No mention of housing has been made in relation to the Dreamland site by Hemingway design. The post you refer is hardly a certified source.

On one hand you want faster action, on the other you are surprised the designers are looking into aspects of the overall design before the CPO has been approved. Would you prefer even more delays if they waited?

The events and festivals will extend the hours and season of the park. Remember the CPO will gain the entire land rather than the 50% when deals were being done with the owners. This allows for this sort of activity in addition to the core park not instead of it.

For a lot of us this had been a ten year fight, so rather than muddying the waters with speculation can I suggest that as it's nearly the weekend we all kick back with a beer, cocoa or you favourite choice of relaxant and see what the actual outcome is when delivered. Hopefully it won't be much longer, ideally we would know, but we can't influence it at this stage.
Paul Freeman
porf
Site Admin

Postby Jim Douglas Jr. » 25 Apr 2013, 20:32

Wise words, Paul.
There's no reason not to hope for best, but no point in tainting it or needless speculation.

...and Tim, there's no harm in asking, either. We're not admonishing you. We need as much participation and support as possible. Each question is an opportunity to share information.
Keep up the fight!
Kyle & Herbie the Love Bug lll53
Jim Douglas Jr.

Postby dreamland » 30 Apr 2013, 18:19

when will the wait be over ? its doing my head in !
dreamland

Postby dreamland » 30 Apr 2013, 21:21

i know its not our fault or the campaigns but it gets very frustrating
dreamland

Postby Muzza » 01 May 2013, 17:16

Looks like the wait's nearly over: seems the judge is due to give his verdict tomorrow.

http://www.thisiskent.co.uk/Dreamland-d ... story.html
Muzza

Postby dave771 » 01 May 2013, 17:16

Please dont waffle our Walter !
dave771

Postby vann98 » 01 May 2013, 17:22

Glad to hear the result is almost in. Fingers crossed the appeal is dismissed.

"MTCRC director Toby Hunter has vowed to fight on if the judge rejects the appeal."
Seriously? (yawn)
vann98

Postby vince69619 » 02 May 2013, 14:07

Headlines appearing on This Is Kent suggest the decision went in our favor!
http://www.thisiskent.co.uk/Thanet-coun ... z2S90X1VWw

Vince.
Last edited by vince69619 on 02 May 2013, 14:12, edited 1 time in total.
vince69619

Postby porf » 02 May 2013, 14:10

From ThisIsKent

http://www.thisiskent.co.uk/Thanet-council-wins-Dreamland-battle/story-18871360-detail/story.html#axzz2S90r7yoG

DREAMLAND moved a step closer to reality yesterday as a judge threw out the appeal against Thanet council's buyout of the park.

The Dreamland Trust's £11 million plans to build a heritage amusement park on Margate seafront could be weeks away as Judge Philip Sycamore rejected the owners' challenge to the scheme.

Trust chairman Nick Laister said: "It's fantastic news. It means we are now back on track.

"We can hopefully get on site in a matter of weeks and begin work as we have the designs and rides ready off site.
Main image for Orchards Property

"The plan was for a 12-month build so it's vital we get going as soon as possible in time for an opening next year."

Margate Town Centre Regeneration Company (MTCRC) bought the site for £20 million in 2005 although the site is worth a fraction of that sum without planning permission for development.

The owners say they will fight on for a hearing at the Court of Appeal.

Director Toby Hunter said: "This judge has failed to consider our unconditional offer to sell the land for the amusement park to the council for £1 and we would have kept the car park and exhibition area south of that.

"He has also overlooked the Trust's unviable business plans compared to our scheme which would be cross-funded from residential development which the Inspector described as fanciful but later acknowledged was viable."

Shortly before the verdict was delivered, the Isle of Thanet Gazette revealed that the Dreamland cinema was sold in a cut-price deal.

A Thanet council spokesman confirmed this week that it fully intends to recover all of its working costs in doing urgent works to repair the Grade II*listed building.

Paul Freeman
porf
Site Admin

Re: Dreamland Latest: CPO Appeal Decision now in!

Postby smilerbaker » 02 May 2013, 14:16

fantastic news, shame they sold the cinema off before the verdict (how where they even allowed to do that????) I really hope they crawl back under the rocks they came from and let margate regain some of its former glory

well done everyone involved.
smilerbaker

Postby David Littleboy » 02 May 2013, 14:20

Its time Mr Hunter gracefully accepted his defeat and allowed Margate to move forward instead of clinging to a long lost desire to build hundreds of flats that they neither have planning permission for or that the town wants or needs. It would appear to be the bank who sold the cinema obviously cutting their losses and its time whatever Mr Hunters outfit are called this week did the same.

Wayne Hemingway seems to have some fantastic ideas and along with The Dreamland Trust will I'm sure create something for Margate to be proud of.

This is a good day for Margate.
Last edited by David Littleboy on 02 May 2013, 14:21, edited 1 time in total.
David Littleboy

Postby SuburbanHomeboy » 02 May 2013, 14:20

Any likelihood of additional appeals, or can we now look forward to getting our hands dirty?

I'm up for taking a week's holiday to do some volunteering.
SuburbanHomeboy

PreviousNext

Return to Save Dreamland Campaign Forum