CPO Appeal Decision now in - TDC get right to CPO

The Save Dreamland Campaign was launched by Joyland Books in January 2003 and is now supported by several thousand people. This is the place to discuss all aspects of saving Margate's famous amusement park and its iconic , Grade II listed Scenic Railway, Britain's oldest roller coaster.

Moderators: dave771, porf, Sarah

Re: CPO Appeal Decision now in - TDC get right to CPO

Postby woody » 25 May 2013, 08:42

reported friday......

Park owners Margate Town Centre Regeneration Company are challenging Thanet council's buyout of the site, including the cinema, at the Court of Appeal.

A decision, expected next month, must be made before Thanet council can press ahead with the Dreamland Trust on plans for a £12 million heritage amusement attraction.

Read more: http://www.thisiskent.co.uk/Goddens-fac ... z2UI9wbwnj
Follow us: @thisiskent on Twitter

hope the paper has got it wrong
woody

Postby dreamland » 26 May 2013, 11:01

i dont understand whats going on ? i thought we had won the case and there was nothing the previous owners could do ? i feel like im on a roller coaster without even being on one ! it gets me very angry and upset ! one minute we have won the case the next minute we have to wait for more desisions its unbelievable ! up down up and down its getting me down !
dreamland

Postby vann98 » 26 May 2013, 12:13

I have to admit it is getting a little confusing. I know it is sometimes hard to foresee things, but I seem to remember a source saying "the appeal is the final hurdle to cross", making it seem like after that there was nothing anyone could do. Now there is this "court of appeal" .Where did that come from?

For someone who is not familiar with this country's legal system, for all I know after the court of appeal, there could be another chance to appeal. The question is. when does this end?

Obviously the paper could be wrong and any further appeals may be rejected, but as said above, it just feels like an endless rollercoaster.
vann98

Postby SuburbanHomeboy » 26 May 2013, 15:53

This is getting rather ridiculous - but then as I said before, the announcement that "we" finally own the site and have the keys will be the point at which I start celebrating.

Until then, it seems that every delaying tactic in the book will be brought into play. When it was first revealed that the Cinema had been sold to the Godden brothers, they were quoted as saying that the Council should now support them rather than continue with the CPO. This is echoed in the latest press release about the injunction, so it is clear that they think this is a new way of slowing us down.
SuburbanHomeboy

Postby vann98 » 31 May 2013, 12:26

Word on the street has it that MCTRC have lodged an appeal but judges have around a fortnight to see if their is a case for it or not. I am sure many may already know this but thought it is worth bringing others up to date. I think there is a news article on it from "This is Kent" if anyone is interested.
vann98

Postby SuburbanHomeboy » 31 May 2013, 16:42

I remember them saying in their press release following the outright rejection of their previous appeal that they thought there was some key evidence that the Judge had missed, which might be the reason they want to appeal again. It seems to me, however, that they just want to mess things up for those of us who want a proper tourist attraction back in Margate.
SuburbanHomeboy

Postby vince69619 » 31 May 2013, 17:01

I think they need to get round the decision from the last appeal that said they were not to appeal again before they can lodge a new one!

There is a good chance they will be blocked, if there is any common sense.

Here is the ThisIsKent article http://www.thisiskent.co.uk/Goddens-gra ... story.html

Vince.
vince69619

Postby dreamland » 04 Jun 2013, 16:30

i dont want to sound negative as all we want is to be posotive , from now on im not going to believe anything i hear on here or from anyone else untill we get the keys for the site and we know everything is solid
dreamland

Postby aweber1us » 04 Jun 2013, 21:01

Yes things are about as clear as mud at the moment. Local papers say one thing and the news letter for May say another. Have MTCRC appealed again?
aweber1us

Postby dreamland » 07 Jun 2013, 06:44

Please put me out of my misary , we Can't let this happen anymore ! Someone has to put there foot down ! We are just going round in circles !
dreamland

Postby SuburbanHomeboy » 07 Jun 2013, 23:01

Nice article in The Guardian today - although they say that the Scenic Railway was "partly dismantled" rather than the victim of an apparent arson attack. But still - no final word!
SuburbanHomeboy

Postby porf » 12 Jul 2013, 17:27

Paul Freeman
porf
Site Admin

Postby vann98 » 12 Jul 2013, 22:09

What can you do...

MCTRC won't change.
vann98

Postby vince69619 » 12 Jul 2013, 22:38

Won't change, still not going to win. So far none of their attempts have resulted in anything other than a landslide backing of the Council/Trust vision of the park. The same will happen again in my opinion. If they had anything to say that would make the decision go another way, they would have used it already!

My opinion.

Vince.
vince69619

Postby vann98 » 13 Jul 2013, 07:48

I think the real question is, how long will this new appeal take. Can we expect something in the coming weeks/months or will it be the waiting game again.
It would be heartbreaking to see the reopening of Dreamland delayed yet another year.
vann98

PreviousNext

Return to Save Dreamland Campaign Forum