CPO Appeal Decision now in - TDC get right to CPO

The Save Dreamland Campaign was launched by Joyland Books in January 2003 and is now supported by several thousand people. This is the place to discuss all aspects of saving Margate's famous amusement park and its iconic , Grade II listed Scenic Railway, Britain's oldest roller coaster.

Moderators: dave771, porf, Sarah

Re: CPO Appeal Decision now in - TDC get right to CPO

Postby porf » 02 May 2013, 15:57

TDC's press release : http://www.thanet.gov.uk/news/latest_press_releases/dreamland_appeal_dismissal.aspx

High Court Dismisses Appeal

Plans to open Dreamland in Margate as a major seaside attraction are back on track for Thanet District Council and The Dreamland Trust following a High Court ruling today (Thursday 2 May).

Judge Sycamore comprehensively dismissed a legal challenge over the decision to grant the council ownership of the site.

The council originally received approval from the Secretary of State for Communities and Local Government for the compulsory purchase of the site in August 2012. Current owners, Margate Town Centre Regeneration Company, then launched an appeal which challenged this decision.

Following the successful High Court ruling, the council will now work to secure title to the land, which it must acquire before access to the site can be granted and work can proceed.

Once title is secured, a funding package will open up to help deliver the project.

The council is working in partnership with The Dreamland Trust to regenerate the site to create the world’s first amusement park of thrilling historic rides, classic side shows, vintage cafés, restaurants and gardens.

The project will also celebrate the British seaside and popular culture. It is a major part of Margate’s regeneration programme, creating volunteer, learning, training and employment opportunities for the local community.

Thanet District Council Chief Executive, Sue McGonigal, said: “Today’s ruling from the High Court comes as very welcome news. We now have a clear mandate to progress with our plans to deliver a brand new and unique visitor attraction for the South East. With overwhelming public support, and the vital funds in place, there has been no doubt about our commitment to see this project through. Getting to this point has certainly been frustrating, especially with the site left vacant and unused for a significant amount of time. Our focus now will be to progress with plans to dramatically regenerate Dreamland and I look forward to seeing the potential benefits this will bring to Margate.”

Chairman of The Dreamland Trust, Nick Laister, said: “The Dreamland Trust was confident that the Secretary of State had made the right decision for the future of the Dreamland Margate site and we are delighted that this decision has been found to be a sound one. The residents and businesses of Thanet have waited too long to see this important tourism site come back to life, and this decision means that we should be able to finally make a start. We look forward to working with our partners Thanet District Council and the Heritage Lottery Fund in implementing the world’s first amusement park of thrilling historic rides.”

Publication date: 02 May, 2013
ENDS
Paul Freeman
porf
Site Admin

Postby Gary » 02 May 2013, 17:03

FANTASTIC NEWS!! Congratulations to all who have worked tirelessly over the years.

It's a beautiful day. :D
Please pass through the turnstiles if you are riding again.
Gary

Postby Gary » 02 May 2013, 18:34

"..DREAMLAND designer Wayne Hemingway welcomed the High Court decision to grant ownership of the park to Thanet council.

The founder of Red and Dead's HemingwayDesign is the creative force behind the Dreamland Trust's £11 million plans to restore the Margate seafront attraction.

A delighted Mr Hemingway said: "It's wonderful news for the Dreamland Trust and the people of Margate, Kent and the whole of Britain.

"It means we can now crack on with the hard work of delivering the plans."

The chairman of the South Coast Design forum visited Margate last month to outline his vision for Dreamland last month and underlined the importance of making the most of the budget.

The Trust have grants from the Government's Sea Change fund (£3.8 million), the Heritage Lottery Fund (£3m) and Thanet council (£3million) in place to finance the first phase of the project.

Initial ideas included a sponsorship scheme, an events amphitheatre, roller disco, a new crossing between Margate Sands and the site, a mini railway and outdoor cinema.

First phase plans will feature a restored Scenic Railway and a selection of vintage rides acquired from amusement parks across Britain..."

Read more: http://www.thisiskent.co.uk/Wayne-Hemin ... z2SA5GkwS8
Please pass through the turnstiles if you are riding again.
Gary

Postby Lou » 02 May 2013, 19:01

As it should be....onwards and upwards - glad the High Court sees our point of view - the value of Dreamland is far more than money in someone elses pocket. :wink:
Lou

Postby vann98 » 02 May 2013, 19:18

Thrilled at the result as I am sure many others are too. I really do hope this means the council's plans can commence shortly.

Just reading through some news articles and found these two quotes..

"MTCRC filed an appeal to the judge today"

The owners say they will fight on for a hearing at the Court of Appeal.

I really do think this is pitiful. They want to appeal...the result of an appeal? I mean seriously is that even possible. The money they must be wasting.

Still with luck, they won't be granted any type of additional hearing. It is just a waste of everybodies time and funds.

Roll on 2014.
vann98

Postby vince69619 » 02 May 2013, 20:57

I thought they were called "Dreamland Live" now? Amazing how quickly they jump around.

Just found this quote "... the judge disagreed and also refused permission for an appeal." here http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-kent-22387073

Vince.
vince69619

Postby Neil » 02 May 2013, 23:10

Over time I've gradually moved from an active forum member to a lurker, but what a great, great day. Congratulations and one big massive thank you to everyone who worked so hard to achieve this. I can't wait for the gates to open and finally see you all. I first heard that Dreamland had closed from a computer room at school when I was in year 7. Now I'm hearing this news from a laptop at Disney World where I'm currently working. But my belief and love of Dreamland has never wavered. I can’t wait to see the place come alive again.
Neil Wilson
Neil

Postby porterm » 03 May 2013, 01:50

Hi all

Just heard the wonderful news via a friend last night, after once again failing to be able to watch the local news owing to work commitments. I sincerely hope that this is the finale to all the legal wrangles and the long awaited park work can now commence in earnest.

I'm sure I'm now alone in saying this is just the jolt we can all use in these austere times.

Martin
porterm

Postby dreamland » 03 May 2013, 12:13

best news ive heard this year as i havent had a great year so far ! i hope work starts asap ! margate i will be back on the map as the best seaside town in the uk i garantee it !
dreamland

Postby blue » 03 May 2013, 12:46

This really is fantastic news.

Nick and his team should be proud of themselves today.

Upwards and onwards
blue

Postby Chris H » 03 May 2013, 16:02

3 years time, Margate will be the hotspot of the south once again.

Fine sands and endless amusement for all ages. :)
Chris H

Postby kevinashe » 03 May 2013, 19:51

great news all round,does this mean that the urgent work required for the scenic can be started before the winter gales take more of a toll on her
kevinashe

Postby David Ellis » 05 May 2013, 01:07

Absolutely thrilled to see the outcome go in favour of the Campaign. Well done to all involved in the process, and can't wait to visit the park when it opens again.
Just brilliant!
David.
World Naked Coaster Riding Record Holder
David Ellis

Postby aweber2us » 05 May 2013, 09:55

This is really great news , it's been worth the wait. Thanks to all the team and their very hard work over a lot of years to make this happen.

Toby get your coat your leaving.
aweber2us

Postby vann98 » 05 May 2013, 10:37

While this is no doubt a major milestone for the reopening of Dreamland, personally, I won't be celebrating until the Trust/council announce they have the keys and full access to the site. I really would like to think we are out of the shadows, but it is still too early for me to tell.

I'am glad to hear the judge rejected MCTRC chance to appeal but I just worry if there is another way for them to achieve their goal. The last thing Margate needs is more delays. Hopefully we won't have to wait too long to find out what happens next.
vann98

PreviousNext

Return to Save Dreamland Campaign Forum