Classic arcade

The Save Dreamland Campaign was launched by Joyland Books in January 2003 and is now supported by several thousand people. This is the place to discuss all aspects of saving Margate's famous amusement park and its iconic , Grade II listed Scenic Railway, Britain's oldest roller coaster.

Moderators: dave771, porf, Sarah

Classic arcade

Postby dreamland » 27 Mar 2013, 21:36

hello this is abit off topic but iam a very big fan of vintage one arm bandits and slot machines from the 50s 60s and 70s and thought they would be good in one of the arcades in dreamland in the tunnel bit , would be so cool

old machines can be converted to play todays money !
dreamland

Re: classic arcade

Postby Nick » 28 Mar 2013, 08:04

Vintage slot machines are expected to form part of Phase 1. As with the rides, nothing can be 100% confirmed until the CPO process is concluded.
Nick
www.joylandbooks.com
The Home of Amusement Park Books
Nick
Site Admin

Postby dreamland » 28 Mar 2013, 11:16

i know we still have to wait 1 week for the decision , will we be getting vintage one arm bandits and fruit machines ?

ballys are very good one arm bandits ! jennings ! sega bell ! mills ! we need them all !dreamland

not forgetting the arcadian aristrocrat one arm bandits !
dreamland

Postby Jim Douglas Jr. » 05 Apr 2013, 19:47

OK, well take it upon yourselves to start researching collectors who would be willing to act as operators or liaisons in acquiring said machines.

I see a lot of people making suggestions here, but few stepping up to actually do anything.
Do this! Do that! OK, Great. Now contact Nick or Sarah to find out how you can actually get involved.
Dreamland's not going to happen by magic.
Kyle & Herbie the Love Bug lll53
Jim Douglas Jr.

Postby smilerbaker » 02 May 2013, 14:33

as I said before, I have all the contacts needed to setup a retro arcade, machines, ride on's, pinballs etc I would assume the pinball museum has been contacted / has contacted you guys as its down that way already. So if you need anything just drop me a pm
smilerbaker

Postby porf » 02 May 2013, 15:44

Images from the Pinball Parlour featured pretty heavily in Hemingway Design's presentation recently, so I'd assume they're involved. Pretty much a perfect fit.

But more/different types of games really won't go amiss, I have a few at home myself.

Did you approach Jan or someone at the Trust with your offer/info? I'm just not sure how well offers posted on the Campaign forum are being picked up - it'd a shame if anything was missed as there are a lot of people on the forum with a lot to offer. It may just be that things have been on ice for a bit and will pick up now with offers being followed up.
Paul Freeman
porf
Site Admin

Postby Vince, Charlie and Sam » 02 May 2013, 20:37

porf wrote:Images from the Pinball Parlour featured pretty heavily in Hemingway Design's presentation recently, so I'd assume they're involved. Pretty much a perfect fit.

But more/different types of games really won't go amiss, I have a few at home myself.

We love the Pinball Parlour but I completely agree that it would be perfectly re-located from a Ramsgate back street to the new Dreamland.

Some images and the link...

http://www.pinballparlour.co.uk/museum.htm
Vince, Charlie and Sam

Re: Classic arcade

Postby smilerbaker » 03 May 2013, 07:24

let me know who to contact and I'll contact them ;)
smilerbaker

Postby porf » 03 May 2013, 08:28

Try jan@dreamlandmargate.com as Jan was taking people's details and interests at the recent meeting with Hemingway Designs.
Paul Freeman
porf
Site Admin

Postby smilerbaker » 03 May 2013, 12:10

Cheers
smilerbaker

Postby Jim Douglas Jr. » 08 May 2013, 00:56

...and slot machines (bandits, I see you calling g them) are just about all profit.
All would go to support a worthy cause.

I love it. This is just the creative thinking that will make Dreamland a winner. Milking what sort-of-works until it's dry doesn't last forever in this day and age like it used to.
Jim Douglas Jr.

Postby smilerbaker » 08 May 2013, 14:45

the sad economic reality is video games etc don't pay there way, and haven't since the early 90's, and the more complicated the machine, eg if it moves, then the more it costs to keep running, most arcades have those nice big moving machines as a loss leader to get people through the door and onto the pushers, cranes and fruit machines

I'm 100% positive a classic arcade wherever it's based will not be able to pay its way, unless you have at least an equal amount of gambling machines, cranes, bandits, pushers etc you would have to set the price per play stupidly high just to cover the maintenance costs of the machine.

classic fruit machines is also a non starter imho as the 'tricks' on emptying them are well known and freely available.

If you also have to buy or restore the machines then just forget the whole idea!

The only way it could ever really work (unless you fill the place full of reproduction pc based mame machines, or they are willing to spend hundreds of thousands of pounds on machines) is to get some of the big collectors out there to lend machines to dreamland

Then of course you need reliable contacts who can actually fix the things, and you 100% definitely need to employ people to look after them! visitor damage to a classic is going to be expensive!

I'd be willing to help out organising etc but not heard anything back as yet (ok they may be a bit busy at the mo lol)

All that being said, there are a lot of enthusiasts out there and I'm sure it would help with visitor numbers, I'd love to see all of Sega's machines lined up in one place and a space invaders next to a defender and of course starwars and battlezone
smilerbaker

Postby Jim Douglas Jr. » 08 May 2013, 19:41

I'm sure there are plenty of vintage games that don't include video.
I have jeans older than video games.
We have a museum of vintage coin operated amusements here that ranges from about 1910 to 1960.
Space is VERY expensive in san Francisco, but this place operates on 25 cent pieces (1/4 of a US dollar), and has been doing well for years.
There are a few newer things included up through the 1980s, like air hockey, etc, and old nickelodeons and musical devices.
It's quite entertaining.

As for maintenance, Dreamland will need a battalion of volunteers, virtually employees, but doing what their skill set or interests allow to benefit the place. For example, I'm a self taught jukebox repairman. I could work on vintage electomechanical devices. I can also push a broom, work concessions, or remove trash.

Again, I hear a lot of people saying they want to see this or that, but not a lot of people stepping up to commit to actually do anything.
I'm sure closer to opening, there'll be more interest.

Jim Douglas Jr.

Postby dreamland » 08 May 2013, 20:39

i would rather much prefer to see vintage one arm bandits and fruit machines to pinball machines ect
dreamland

Postby vann98 » 08 May 2013, 21:42

In terms of volunteering (mentioned one above), while I am all up for helping wherever I can, writing letters, emails, and doing general inquires etc aren't really my strong suit. I am more of a hands on kind of person, as I am sure many others are too.

I may not have a wide array of skills yet like some members do, but I am more than willing to help out wherever I can, whenever the call is sounded for volunteers. I live in Kent but would gladly stop at a friends in Margate for a night or two if need be.

Back on topic, while I think a classic arcade with vintage machines will be a great addition to the new Dreamland, I don't think there is any need to rush into things. Old machines like that are not easy to come by and even if they were, there is always the maintenance costs to consider.
vann98

Next

Return to Save Dreamland Campaign Forum