"More than a Funfair"

The Save Dreamland Campaign was launched by Joyland Books in January 2003 and is now supported by several thousand people. This is the place to discuss all aspects of saving Margate's famous amusement park and its iconic , Grade II listed Scenic Railway, Britain's oldest roller coaster.

Moderators: dave771, porf, Sarah

"More than a Funfair"

Postby Gary » 18 Apr 2013, 16:03

"The redevelopment of the historic Dreamland theme park in the Kent resort of Margate should be more than just a funfair, its designer has said.

Outlining his plan for the site, Wayne Hemingway explained that the "thrilling historic rides" would only be one part of the park's revival..."
(BBC)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-kent-22203539
Please pass through the turnstiles if you are riding again.
Gary

Re: "More than a Funfair"

Postby Vince, Charlie and Sam » 18 Apr 2013, 21:11

In 1999, having sold Red or Dead they set up HemingwayDesign, which specializes in affordable and social design. The highest profile project was, The Staiths South Bank, a 800 property mass market housing project on Tyneside for Taylor Wimpey Homes where HemingwayDesign are involved from the master planning, the architecture through to the landscaping and marketing of this groundbreaking project.[9]
Over 400 homes are now lived in and The Staiths has won a series of high profile awards including Housing Design Awards (best large project) and Building Magazine's "Best Housing-Led Regeneration Project" as well as a Building For Life and the highest rating of any large-scale scheme in a recent CABE audit.[7] Other major projects include ‘The Bridge Dartford’, a development of 1000 designer homes in Kent.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wayne_Hemingway

So basically, Wayne Hemingway is a property developer. Fantastic, just what we want. :roll: :roll: :roll:
Vince, Charlie and Sam

Postby porf » 18 Apr 2013, 22:44

Hi Vince,

For once I'm going to have to disagree with you.

I snuck into yesterday's meeting with a "proper" creative, as the only thing I'm creative with is a hammer!

Hemmingway Design appeared to me mostly involved with the look and feel, usability and overall design of the site. I'd expected more of a slick sales pitch type presentation and was ultimately pleased that that wasn't what occured.

Hopefully someone from the Trust may put up a bit more info or I may try when less tired but although the plans and ideas mentioned were high level there was no mention of housing at all more around how to entice people in to the site and what to give them in terms of an experience.

I can be a cynical git around Dreamland and with it's history that's no surprise but I came away with the feeling that Hemmingway Designs involvement is good for the project and that I like their views on how to "present" the site and it's history. I have a few reservations in some areas (would be very unlike me if I didn't!) but nothing major.
Paul Freeman
porf
Site Admin

Postby Gary » 21 Apr 2013, 08:45

Please pass through the turnstiles if you are riding again.
Gary

Postby woody » 22 Apr 2013, 09:19

just dont let him near the money= vintage at Goodwood
woody

Return to Save Dreamland Campaign Forum