Vintage rides missing from Dreamland

The Save Dreamland Campaign was launched by Joyland Books in January 2003 and is now supported by several thousand people. This is the place to discuss all aspects of saving Margate's famous amusement park and its iconic , Grade II listed Scenic Railway, Britain's oldest roller coaster.

Moderators: dave771, porf, Sarah

Vintage rides missing from Dreamland

Postby Cheryl » 16 Aug 2013, 13:29

Quelle surprise! The vintage ride collection has gone missing from Dreamland, it just gets better and better ...
Cheryl
Cheryl

Re: Vintage rides missing from Dreamland

Postby porf » 16 Aug 2013, 14:03

http://www.thanetgazette.co.uk/Historic-rides-removed-Dreamland/story-19663518-detail/story.html

Not sure how many rides have been removed, a bit more info in the above.

Amazed the opportunity was left available to them.
Paul Freeman
porf
Site Admin

Postby SuburbanHomeboy » 16 Aug 2013, 14:27

How on earth have the Save Dreamland Trust been able to store the vintage rides they have collected on a site to which they do not have access?

I am hoping that the rides in question were former Dreamland rides left to rust by you-know-who, but if not, I think there are some serious questions to be asked of those leading the Trust.

Can we have a list of the rides apparently sold from under our noses?
SuburbanHomeboy

Postby porf » 16 Aug 2013, 14:37

I don't believe this relates to old Godden era rides.

The rides may have been stored pre CPO at a time when there was more collaboration between the campaign/trust and MTCRC.
Paul Freeman
porf
Site Admin

Postby SuburbanHomeboy » 16 Aug 2013, 14:49

The paper reports that this started on Monday - I wonder why we have had no reports on this before now? Nothing on their website, nothing via e-mail. Mind you, there has been one Tweet from DreamlandTrust this week -

Dreamland Trust ‏@DreamlandTrust 18h (i.e. Thursday - four days after it all started)

We're in the wireless! You can catch us in iplayer :) http://fb.me/1C7jtvKH0

Big whoop if your rides are being filched from under your very noses...
SuburbanHomeboy

Postby vann98 » 16 Aug 2013, 17:25

Very disappointed to hear this. I hope more will be revealed soon either what was taken or if they have got them back.

I know the site is convenient and all, but I don't know how vital parts, fundamental to the development were allowed to remain there for so long, especially given the recent tensions. I don't know the security precautions in place on the Dreamland site though I know ever since the arson attack on the Scenic, I would feel uneasy with leaving anything important on it.

The sooner the development can occur, the better.
vann98

Postby kevinashe » 16 Aug 2013, 19:24

can anybody confirm what has gone missing,is it old dreamland stuff or is bpb gifted rides or southports old classics
kevinashe

Postby Nick » 16 Aug 2013, 21:27

We have been trying to gain permission to remove the rides for many months, but this has not been granted by MTCRC. They own the site so we cannot go on and remove them without permission.

Some containers have been removed, and we have a pretty good idea of what was inside them as we have had people stationed at a number of positions on the site boundary watching and photographing them being removed.

The site vests to Thanet District Council in the first week of September. The last two to three weeks of MTCRC's ownership was always going to be a flashpoint.

This matter is now in the hands of our solicitors and the Police.
Nick
www.joylandbooks.com
The Home of Amusement Park Books
Nick
Site Admin

Postby SuburbanHomeboy » 17 Aug 2013, 07:04

Many thanks for the information, Nick.

Please let us know if there is anything we can do, and best of luck!

My apologies if I overstepped any lines last night in my posts, but the shock was rather too much for me - especially when the final transfer of the site is so close.

Rob
SuburbanHomeboy

Postby EAS » 17 Aug 2013, 11:27

Hoe low can these people sink?

This is simply churlish and if they damage / destroy the rides it simply adds to the reasons why they were not fit to have charge of Dreamland.

The Scenic still stands. The site can still go ahead, there will be other rides can be acquired, but this is despicable.
Ferengi Rules of Acquisition: Rule 76. Every once in a while, declare peace. It confuses the hell out of your enemies.
EAS

Postby vann98 » 17 Aug 2013, 18:12

Thanks Nick! Glad to hear the items were not vital, though that doesn't excuse that fact that they should not have been taken in the first place.
I hope they can all be returned in one piece and have not been damaged though I do fear the worst.

EDIT: Just seen the news update on the Dreamland Trust news page. Really is disgusting at the thought of them selling on the components for scrap. MTCRC clearly don't have the maturity to just walk away and allow the council to get on with it. On a brighter note, just more proof that the company cannot handle being in charge of a major Margate site such as Dreamland.
vann98

Postby EAS » 18 Aug 2013, 09:08

http://dreamlandmargate.wordpress.com/

Statement from @DreamlandTrust on items removed from the site.

We've all got this far, we won't be defeated now :0)

It's Vintage Margate weekend this weekend

Think what a key part Dreamland can play in future years :0)

" Margate's first vintage weekend

http://margatearchitecture.blogspot.co. ... -what.html

#vintagemargate @vintagecarryon "
Ferengi Rules of Acquisition: Rule 76. Every once in a while, declare peace. It confuses the hell out of your enemies.
EAS

Postby kevinashe » 18 Aug 2013, 19:55

i take it from your previous posts nick you know who removed them,hopefully you have good clear camera evidence that will help nail the people involved.It takes a lot to remove steel container without anybody noticing
kevinashe

Postby vann98 » 18 Aug 2013, 21:57

On a slightly related note, am I right in thinking the internal fence that prevented access to the rear of the site (former big wheel area), has recently been removed by MCTRC?. I vaguely remember hearing about it sometime ago but never throught much of it.

With still a few weeks left until the transfer and the site potentially half open to anyone, I can't help but feel slightly concerned. I really hope security has been increased in some form.
vann98

Postby Nick » 19 Aug 2013, 06:44

vann98 wrote:On a slightly related note, am I right in thinking the internal fence that prevented access to the rear of the site (former big wheel area), has recently been removed by MCTRC?. I vaguely remember hearing about it sometime ago but never throught much of it.

With still a few weeks left until the transfer and the site potentially half open to anyone, I can't help but feel slightly concerned. I really hope security has been increased in some form.

You are correct that the fence has been removed. We have people keeping their eye on the site, which is why we knew within minutes that an attempt was being made to remove some of the rides.
Nick
www.joylandbooks.com
The Home of Amusement Park Books
Nick
Site Admin

Next

Return to Save Dreamland Campaign Forum