Article on Dreamland in 1970’s magazine

The Save Dreamland Campaign was launched by Joyland Books in January 2003 and is now supported by several thousand people. This is the place to discuss all aspects of saving Margate's famous amusement park and its iconic , Grade II listed Scenic Railway, Britain's oldest roller coaster.

Moderators: dave771, porf, Sarah

Article on Dreamland in 1970’s magazine

Postby James C » 28 Aug 2013, 15:46

Hello all, hope are enjoying this sunny afternoon,

Collected some vintage magazines whilst at a collectors fair on Sunday and bought some copies of “It’s here and now” music/teen magazine from the 70’s. Their August 1973 issue features a piece of contributed fiction about two people meeting romantically at Dreamland. Quite interesting, and it mentions some of the rides - please see a copy of the dialogue as follows:

A funkadelic Dreamland day

I felt dat I was feeling the funk as I boogied towards Dreamland 4-sho. I waz blazing, feelin’ like I waz one of the cats as I strutted ma thing. Damn! Its hotter than a deuce in here as I approached the queue for the scenic railway. Hold da phone! Can you feel me? as if there wasn’t enough closet disco queens in here. But diz chick was different, she was with some cheese weasels but no confab, so I pulled ma drains up and yeah, just worked it, worked it good as I worked my way over. Damn it Jim, she was awe sooky sooky baby, a real fox, blonde, legs, she was BAM!!!!!.

De cheese weasels eyeballed me, they knew I was a juicer, tight and out of sight. Cool beans, dat cat is eyeballing me too. “Waddup, hey, do me a solid” I said as I “Hope you don’t mind me saying you are a foxy mama, a real famoo! The Cheesies were giving me the bug eye but ah kept me swagger and took the daggers, know what ahm sayin? “Mah day is ghetto fabulouse for seeing you, are you mackin? Her eyeballs were kind of hairy, but I felt that she was not quite minding her potatoes “For rizzle? Hey peace love and granola my brother but ahm with my homeboys right here”. That me want to peace out when I saw the happy cheesies, but I was not going to be bugged out. “Jump back! hey, dat’s cool, that’s plastic man plastic! See ya on the flipside”

And ah strutted down, keepin’ ma thing going as I felt the cheesies smiles busting ma back. Den I heard a voice “Hey, that’s a real smooth play Shakespeare, I didn’t mean for you to keep on truckin”. “Square biz!” I said “That’s tubular girl! – but what about them brothers? She smiled “Hey, they said wally wally, blood and dolly – you ain’ teaving us for that brother are you?” And I said “My brothers, you are harshin’ my yellow! Ah am a free far out chick who makes her own rules”

We walked and talked, rode the trippin’ Scenic, all zooky-zooky and rad man. We rode the railway and da Sky Wheels, far out! She was bomb dude, and we was buzzin! At the end of the day, she smiled. “Today was cool-a-roonie!” she said “Ah don’ miss those doofuses, they were twisting me for sure, do you copy?” I copied for sure. And I knew I would see that fox again, as we held hands amongst cool vibes and funked to the beach. Dreamland and my sooky sooky girl is copasetic baby, yeah. A funkadelic day my brothers, a fine, funkadelic day……

The article received 4th place on their monthly short story competition.
James C

Return to Save Dreamland Campaign Forum