Vesting of the site to the council - Did it happen?

The Save Dreamland Campaign was launched by Joyland Books in January 2003 and is now supported by several thousand people. This is the place to discuss all aspects of saving Margate's famous amusement park and its iconic , Grade II listed Scenic Railway, Britain's oldest roller coaster.

Moderators: dave771, porf, Sarah

Vesting of the site to the council - Did it happen?

Postby ripnet » 03 Sep 2013, 09:04

Hi,
The facebook group said the vesting was midnight last night... did it happen ??? does the save dreamland campaign now have access to site ??? can they now work out what was stolen by the previous owners ???

:)

george
ripnet

Re: Did it happen?

Postby ripnet » 03 Sep 2013, 09:08

ripnet

Postby EAS » 03 Sep 2013, 09:40

Here's hoping the legal challenge is as successful as all the other attempts to stop Dreamland's revival... :?
Ferengi Rules of Acquisition: Rule 76. Every once in a while, declare peace. It confuses the hell out of your enemies.
EAS

Postby vann98 » 03 Sep 2013, 10:08

I am thrilled to hear this news though am frustrated we still have to wait weeks for the appeal.
I truly hope the judges will be able to make the right choice.

The way I see it, at least work can now progress with the council's scheme . Giving it back to the MCTRC would just reverse that, and allow the site to remain vacant for god knows how long!

First order of business, get those locks changed and bump up that security..
vann98

Postby porterm » 03 Sep 2013, 18:46

Hi all

Was thrilled to hear a news bulletin on KMFM (radio station for Maidstone, Kent) by complete chance this afternoon stating that Thanet District Council had taken control of the former Dreamland site today and had the keys, pending a final appeal from the current owners, Dreamland Live (formerly MTCRC).

Just seen Meridian TV News story to prove above; http://www.itv.com/news/meridian/story/ ... -handover/

I fully concur with vann98's remarks below reference the judge's final verdict on this very lengthy episode and the need to notch up the site's security, especially as some of the former security fencing has been removed near the Scenic.

I thought Toby Hunter's on camera remarks were very predictable by the way, especially as his organisation have appeared to have skant regard to listed structures under their stewardship.

Martin :)
porterm

Postby kevinashe » 03 Sep 2013, 20:16

great news and something that many of us have waited to see happen for a long time,now its finally happened.Perhaps cameras would be a good idea now to help secure the site
kevinashe

Postby Jim Douglas Jr. » 05 Sep 2013, 20:14

Ooo. I have chills. Better get my passport renewed.

We win.
Kyle & Herbie the Love Bug lll53
Jim Douglas Jr.

Postby vann98 » 08 Sep 2013, 00:05

Not really the right thread but was curious to know if Jimmy's seafront Arcade and the above buffet cafe were still open? I have no interest in going to either but wanted to know whether they moved out after the land transfer was completed.

If the whole building is now vacant which I presume it is, does anyone know if there are any plans to reopen it as either an arcade or another use?
..just seems a shame to let more seafront space remain unoccupied.
vann98

Postby dave771 » 08 Sep 2013, 00:43

Dreamland Leisure vacated the arcade some time before the takeover of the site. The Cosmo restaurant was also vacated many months before the arcade closed.
Please dont waffle our Walter !
dave771

Postby vann98 » 09 Sep 2013, 22:40

Thanks for that Dave! Didn't know they vacated the building so early.

I don't suppose anyone knows of any long/short term plans to incorporate these two spaces into the heritage park (even if it is included in phase two of the project).
I can personally see perhaps a vintage cafe eventually appearing in the former COSMO buffet (a salute to the former Sunshine Cafe), however it would be nice to hear something official, if there is anything of course!
vann98

Postby Nick » 10 Sep 2013, 06:26

The amusement arcade is likely to form part of Phase 1, bu not the Sunshine Cafe. This is all subject to surveys, bearing in mind that we have not been able to access the site to carry out surveys until last week.
Nick
www.joylandbooks.com
The Home of Amusement Park Books
Nick
Site Admin

Postby vann98 » 25 Sep 2013, 07:13

Good luck with the court appeal today and tomorrow. Best of luck!
vann98

Postby ripnet » 25 Sep 2013, 19:55

Yeah..let's hope for a happy ending.ive promised my boys a ride on the scenic.lets hope his/her honour does the right thing
ripnet

Postby SuburbanHomeboy » 27 Sep 2013, 11:15

No happy ending yet - just more prevarication.

The appeal has taken place but, as stated in a report on the BBC Website (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-kent-24237574), the judges reserved their decision to a later date.

In that report, we hear from the illustrious Toby Hunter that, since the council has taken over the site, squatters have moved into the cinema and the listed brass railing inside have been stripped out and removed from the building. I wonder how he knows this, given that the council are now in possession of the site?

This is getting to be truly tedious, but at least the council are currently able to access the site and get the ball rolling...
SuburbanHomeboy

Postby Cheryl » 27 Sep 2013, 11:46

Yes, it is becoming very tedious and beyond ridiculous. If they lose this. I suppose there will be a another appeal and a further appeal until eventually we end up in the court of Uncle Tom Cobley and all in La La Land.

Was anyone in Court who could give us an update of how it seemed to go? Once again we have to pray that common sense has prevailed.

I thought the 'squatters' were in situ whilst still under the control of MTCRC. It just goes to show that they will go to any length to discredit TDC and Dreamland Trust, However, I thought lying in court was illegal! Surely this nonsense was challenged by our side?
Cheryl
Cheryl

Next

Return to Save Dreamland Campaign Forum