Any Hope for Runaway Coaster?

The Save Dreamland Campaign was launched by Joyland Books in January 2003 and is now supported by several thousand people. This is the place to discuss all aspects of saving Margate's famous amusement park and its iconic , Grade II listed Scenic Railway, Britain's oldest roller coaster.

Moderators: dave771, porf, Sarah

Any Hope for Runaway Coaster?

Postby David Ellis » 26 Jan 2003, 02:28

I am 100% behind the campaign to save Dreamland and the Scenic Railway (as indeed are all coaster enthusiasts) but I wondered if there was any hope of saving the Runaway Coaster at Folkestone. The Scenic Railway is Britain's oldest coaster and one of only 9 scenic railways still in existence, but the Runaway Coaster is one of only 2 side-friction coasters left in the world.
I am lucky enough to have ridden both side-friction coasters (the other being Leap The Dips, at Lakemont Park, Pennsylvania, USA), and it feels as if you a riding history when you ride them.
The Runaway used to be a travelling coaster I believe, so it shouldn't be too difficult to reassemble at another park. Any comments?

David.
David Ellis

Postby Nick » 26 Jan 2003, 08:56

The Runaway Coaster is a great ride, and is still standing at the present time (I was there last weekend). It was in excellent condition, and could pretty much have been opened there and then. I understand that it will operate in 2003, so there is a chance to get a last ride.

Unfortunately, the Runaway Coaster isn't a listed building, nor is it a coaster that can be saved via the planning system, as it is a portable ride. I know that the owners are hoping to sell the ride, and people within the two main UK roller coaster clubs are seeking a buyer. I hope one can be found.

The park itself will be sadly missed, but the proposals for its redevelopment have gone through two years of public consultation. Unlike Margate, the people of Folkestone don't actually seem to want to keep their amusement park, so there is little we can do. Folkestone is perhaps less of a seaside resort than Margate.

If I hear anything about the Runaway Coaster, I will post it here.
Nick
Site Admin

Postby bigkirby » 26 Jan 2003, 14:55

With the Runaway coaster being portable, that would help its fate, correct?
bigkirby

Postby Nick » 26 Jan 2003, 15:06

That should definitely help, because it can be packed away and moved to another site quite easily. The same cannot be said about the Scenic Railway. To move that would be very expensive, and probably uneconomic. More importantly, part of the reason for its listing is that it has been at this location in Margate for 83 years, it is a local landmark.

I do hope the Runaway Coaster can find a new owner. It would look great at Brean Leisure Park, for example (I know they are interested in getting a woodie, but are concerned that woodies cannot be easily moved - this one can!)
Nick
Site Admin

Runaway fate..

Postby Rich F » 26 Jan 2003, 22:49

Hi all

There's also a certain other park in wales who already have a wooden coaster (starts with "M" and ends with "Egafobia"). I did think the ride was in a bit of a state - fingers crossed that this makes it more attractive!

Rich F
Rich F

Postby David » 27 Jan 2003, 10:40

That unknown park with that unknown coaster isn't actually the first park I would be thinking of for the Runaway.

I was thinking its next door neighbour might be a better idea.

Folly Farm has a vintage fairground theme and pulls it off surprisingly well. Its main theme is the 1950's \ 1960's traveling fair with rides like the Speedway Ark, Skid, Catterpiller, Ghost Train ect.

Folly Farm even has a set of Gallopers and a Set of Chair O Planes. As these two rides are pre 1920's these would allow the Runaway to fit in to the overall fair.

http://www.folly-farm.co.uk

The staff at Rotunda did a wonderful job restoring the coaster. It is a nice fun coaster and I really enjoyed my rides on this classic in 1997.

As it is a traveling Coaster I als thourght Carters Steam Fair would be a good owner for it.

The Carter family lovingly restore their rides and travel them on a vintage fairgroun but unfortunetly most of their fairs only last two days and would make the Runaway too heavy for their fairs.

http://www.carters-steam-fair.co.uk/

The last place where I think this coaster would have a god home is at the Hollycombe Steam Collection.

While its likly this coaster never operated on Steam the Runaway would fit in perfectly with the surounding attractions.

http://www.hollycombe.co.uk/

There are several other steam village type places it could go to but there are the three best places in my opinion.
Ladies and Gentlemen you are about to board the Top Buzz
David

Postby danall2 » 02 Jul 2003, 19:50

I went to Folkstone a few weeks ago and i have to be honest that it seemed as if people had come into the park and just took over the rides.

I dont mean it in any rude way but it just did not feel right - they had different jummpers (Fun Land staff i think) and stuff on and i am sorry if anyone works, there but they were quite rude. I really did think they borke in and took over, lol.

Not a lot is operating and why is the water so green on the log flume. I have heard it is the same at Dreamland (I am going next week!!) so why can they not chage the water - i mean is it hard like they need special water and why has it chaged colour - it cant be good can it.

The rides also seemed to go slow and the park was empty and a few weeks beofre that nothing was open and we belived it had closed down but saw a few things opne on my last visit and i rode some of the rides but there was not a lot to choose from.

Thye had the Ali Barber which was wicked and i have heard this is going to Dreamland - any truth in this.

Thanks,

Danielx
danall2

Postby dave771 » 03 Jul 2003, 18:12

Hi Daniel,

When you come to Dreamland make sure you come up to the Scenic and have a few go's on there, make yourself known to me when you come on the Scenic and i might give u a free go! as long as you have a few paying rides too. As for the Ali Baba it was at Margate for a short while but is now travelling the country and at present is operating on a ground in Ireland and as far as i am aware it is not coming back to Dreamland. But there is a great new ride called Move It which came in a couple of days ago and is now in operation till the end of August.

I cant speak for Folkestones park but our Log Drop did have dirty water which is why it has been closed this week, it has been drained, cleaned and refilled to open again this weekend, water rides are extremely difficult to keep clean when you have a lot of customers throwing their rubbish in them and to buy a filter to keep it clean all of the time does cost a lot of money and as we all are aware Godden doesnt like spending any money on anything, anyway we do try our best to make things ok for our customers,

Hope you have a better time at Margate than you did at Folkestone,

Dave
dave771

Postby Gary » 03 Jul 2003, 20:33

Re The Move-iT: Is this the same ride that stood in front of The Sandcastle at BPB and has been on sale for circa £195,000 (or £295,000..I can't remember?)
Please pass through the turnstiles if you are riding again.
Gary

Move-it

Postby xblazinfanx2003 » 05 Jul 2003, 19:38

Ive heard about this new ride at dreamland called Move-It! And was just wondering what it was like and if it is good fun. I'm glad to hear the log flumes water is being changed back to it's normal colour because when i went to dreamland, i went on the flume quite a few times + the next day for about a week i was ill. I'm not sure if it's coz of that but is likely to be that! Please could you get back to me on that, my e-mail address is; harppa3@btinternet.com. Thank you! Rachel. :lol: :mrgreen:
xblazinfanx2003

Move It at Dreamland

Postby dave771 » 05 Jul 2003, 22:01

For anyone who is interested in the new ride at Dreamland please go to the following site, www.fun-fairs.co.uk click from the menu on the left - rides list by showmen then scroll down till you find Move it which is under the name of Victor Gray Jnr,

Dave
dave771

the runaway

Postby imansfield » 06 Jul 2003, 22:42

Getting back to the fate of the Runaway,

The problem with that ride is the massive maintainance cost to keep it running. It never made a profit at Folkestone, and any park looking to take it on would have to be prepared to spend big bucks just keeping the health and safety people happy. Ive heard that a few parks have inquired about it, but soon run a mile when they find out the cost of the maintenance involved.

There must be someone out there who's willing to save this wonderfull piece of history!?!?!

Ian Mansfield
imansfield

Postby David Ellis » 06 Jul 2003, 22:56

I know there were rumours that my local park (Pleasurewood Hills) may have shown an interest at some time. I haven't heard any more so I wondered if there has been any progress with them or any other park.

David.
David Ellis

Postby coastercrazydan » 19 Aug 2003, 20:01

Nick wrote:That should definitely help, because it can be packed away and moved to another site quite easily. The same cannot be said about the Scenic Railway. To move that would be very expensive, and probably uneconomic. More importantly, part of the reason for its listing is that it has been at this location in Margate for 83 years, it is a local landmark.

I do hope the Runaway Coaster can find a new owner. It would look great at Brean Leisure Park, for example (I know they are interested in getting a woodie, but are concerned that woodies cannot be easily moved - this one can!)

I can remember Rich and Dave caddel telling me they want one but its to much hassle or something anyway I think they should but I doubt they will now.
coastercrazydan

Postby Nick » 29 Sep 2003, 21:47

Any more news on the Runaway Coaster at Folkestone? The American Coaster Enthusiasts have been in touch to ask whether it is still standing. I have heard very little about it over the past few weeks. Is it still standing? Is it up for sale? This is one of only two left in the world, so it would be sad to see it scrapped.

Nick
Nick
Site Admin

Next

Return to Save Dreamland Campaign Forum