who is going to run the park?

The Save Dreamland Campaign was launched by Joyland Books in January 2003 and is now supported by several thousand people. This is the place to discuss all aspects of saving Margate's famous amusement park and its iconic , Grade II listed Scenic Railway, Britain's oldest roller coaster.

Moderators: dave771, porf, Sarah

who is going to run the park?

Postby mtcrc » 29 Apr 2014, 17:19

mtcrc

Re: who is going to run the park?

Postby Jim Douglas Jr. » 29 Apr 2014, 22:49

I am.
Kyle & Herbie the Love Bug lll53
Jim Douglas Jr.

Postby vince69619 » 01 May 2014, 15:44

Now let me think, how many commercial companies are going to want to take a not for profit business on? How many not for profit trusts with millions of pounds in grants do we know?

In my opinion this is a case of going out to tender knowing there is only one taker. Discuss...

Vince.
vince69619

Postby kevinashe » 04 May 2014, 10:24

i am assuming the park will be run as a charity like beamish is thus allowing it to claim the vat back.The question is who would run it with a lot of experience of seaside based parks as really the only one left of any great size is the pleasure beach-hint hint!!!
kevinashe

Postby Jim Douglas Jr. » 05 May 2014, 23:58

The "experienced" have run everything into the ground. More of the paved over, same old, same old.

Needs fresh blood without any preconceived notions of how things should be. Dreamland needs a vision, someone willing to bring in motivated people with fresh ideas.
Jim Douglas Jr.

Postby kevin » 07 May 2014, 20:50

"The question is who would run it with a lot of experience of seaside based parks as really the only one left of any great size is the pleasure beach-hint hint"!!!

-With their record with regards to Pleasureland? No thanks.
kevin

Postby kevinashe » 08 May 2014, 16:40

most seaside parks in uk that are left are travelling summer set up fairs.Bpb are one of a very few left which is quite sad when you look at how many they used to be.Both Frontierland and Pleasureland had underlying investment problems within the resorts by their respective councils by which i mean is remove all the rest of the tourist based activities and like the domino effect will follow.I remember the last time i was in southport which was either 1998/1999 and it was sad to see gypsys camped on what was a smaller kiddie based attraction and all the other well remember attractions derelict,granted big inroads have been done within the resort since but i was surprised the park lasted as long as it did
kevinashe

Postby kevin » 08 May 2014, 16:48

What killed Pleasureland had nothing to do with the local council, it was purely down to the introduction of an entry fee which people, quite rightly, refused to pay.
kevin

Postby kevinashe » 10 May 2014, 15:54

firstly this is going way off topic and secondly i was a big campaigner to save the park along with many people on this site and on the ground in southport.It is good to that Norman is making a go off it and seeing how he is tidying up the site year on year i would love him to get a 20/30 year lease on the site so he can bring in more permanent rides.I would love dreamland to prove to other resorts that have lost parks that there is still enough buisness out there for the traditional seaside funfairs to survive
kevinashe

Postby Jim Douglas Jr. » 16 May 2014, 23:42

An outside vendor isn't needed. Dreamland can be a sole, self-sustaining entity, managed and run from within.
Jim Douglas Jr.

Postby Cheryl » 17 May 2014, 12:40

For me it's not just about experience of running Theme Parks it has alot to do with passion, someone who genuinely loves the park, is dedicated and wants it to succeed - has it in their blood!

Personally I think our very own, Dave Collard should be considered for some sort of management role. Nobody knows the Scenic like him and he has all of the above qualities with regard to Dreamland.
Cheryl
Cheryl

Postby kevinashe » 20 May 2014, 10:50

if theres somebody local even better.Its always better as they know the area
kevinashe

Return to Save Dreamland Campaign Forum