More good news for Margate: the timeball!

The Save Dreamland Campaign was launched by Joyland Books in January 2003 and is now supported by several thousand people. This is the place to discuss all aspects of saving Margate's famous amusement park and its iconic , Grade II listed Scenic Railway, Britain's oldest roller coaster.

Moderators: dave771, porf, Sarah

More good news for Margate: the timeball!

Postby EAS » 21 May 2014, 14:01

Anything that makes Margate a more attractive place to be and visit is good news for Dreamland!

Edinburgh has one (World Heritage Site) Greenwich (World Heritage Site) and now Margate's is working again!

From Civic Voice Press Release just arrived in my email

Immediate Release

21st May 2014

Margate Civic Society raises £16,000 to restore town clock time ball
Griff Rhys Jones, President of Civic Voice, salutes Margate's success

Welcoming the announcement that a huge community effort has resulted in the restoration of Margate Town Clock, President of Civic Voice, Griff Rhys Jones, said:

‘This is exactly the sort of project that warms the cockles of my heart and sets the blood stirring in my veins. It’s not a small thing. It’s a big gesture. And it shows that local civic societies are not just about protesting and complaining. I am just very sorry that I cannot be there at the launch after visiting the clock last summer. I salute Margate Civic Society.’

The clock tower, in Margate, Kent, was inaugurated in 1889 to commemorate Queen Victoria's Golden Jubilee. The ball mechanism, which dropped at a particular time each day to let sailors know the right hour, fell into disuse and the timeball has not worked since the 1920s. For the first time in 90 years the Jubilee Clock Tower will have a working ball. It will drop at 1pm (13:00 hours) on Saturday 24th May 2014

Taking on the task to fundraise to restore the clock, Margate Civic Society began fundraising 18 months ago and has amassed £16,000 for the project.

Ralph Handscomb President of the Margate Civic Society said: “This has been a true community effort and without the help of local people, we could not have completed what has been our biggest project ever undertaken. The Margate Civic Society would like to thank every person who has dropped their loose change into one of their collection boxes, sent cash or a cheque, those who donated anonymously and those who undertook fundraising. I would recommend this type of initiative to all other civic groups”

Dr Freddie Gick, Chair of Civic Voice finished by saying “I would now encourage individuals across England to take inspiration from Margate Civic Society and consider undertaking a similar project. Our local heritage helps to tell the story of who we are. Whether it is restoring a town clock or a war memorial, these types of projects are a visual demonstration of people saying “I care about where I live”. Well done to all concerned”.

NOTES FOR EDITORS

1 Civic Voice is the national charity for the civic movement. Further information is available at http://www.civicvoice.org.uk including how to join Civic Voice (£10 individuals) and contact details for local civic societies.
2 Margate Civic Society is the local civic and amenity society for the area of Margate, Thanet in the South East of England
3 For the first time in 90 years the Jubilee Clock Tower will have a working ball. It will drop at 1pm (1300 hours) on the 24th May 2014
4 Margate’s Jubilee Clock Tower was built to commemorate Queen Victoria’s Golden Jubilee. The clock Tower was officially opened on 24th May 1889 just a few years later and in time for the Queen’s 70th birthday

Ferengi Rules of Acquisition: Rule 76. Every once in a while, declare peace. It confuses the hell out of your enemies.
EAS

Re: More good news for Margate: the timeball!

Postby Jim Douglas Jr. » 30 May 2014, 21:10

Very good news. Decline happens one issue at a time.
Things around that don't work are a negative.
Kyle & Herbie the Love Bug lll53
Jim Douglas Jr.

Return to Save Dreamland Campaign Forum