Billy the train

The Save Dreamland Campaign was launched by Joyland Books in January 2003 and is now supported by several thousand people. This is the place to discuss all aspects of saving Margate's famous amusement park and its iconic , Grade II listed Scenic Railway, Britain's oldest roller coaster.

Moderators: dave771, porf, Sarah

Billy the train

Postby dreamland » 21 Oct 2014, 20:57

Will billy the train be apart of phase 1 or 2 ?
dreamland

Re: Billy the train

Postby vince69619 » 22 Oct 2014, 10:05

I would guess the answer to that question would be - no.

That's assuming your question is whether the Trust is going to purchase and overhaul the original locomotive back to a working steam locomotive.

Vince.
vince69619

Postby Vince, Charlie and Sam » 22 Oct 2014, 18:05

Preston Steam Services used to advertise Billie for sale, my understanding is that she is still owned by them but is not currently for sale, other than to return to Dreamland should the opportunity arise. However, she is in very poor condition and would need a wheels-up rebuild which would be enormously expensive. She would also be very expensive to operate and maintain. Maybe one day in the dim and distant future she might steam again, and that is something I would love to see, but for the time being I just don't see it happening.
Vince, Charlie and Sam

Postby antony » 23 Oct 2014, 14:16

I wonder what happened to the "diesel" alternative that arrived in the 60s; although it horrified my Dad, I have a strange affection for it and it would surely be cheaper to run!
antony

Postby sparky230 » 23 Oct 2014, 17:10

The last time I was at preston's they said they would only let Billie go to dreamland,they wont sell

Billie needs minimum of a new or rebuilt boiler, wheelsets retyred and profiled,possible new cylinders, they have some of the original coaches,but they also are in need of a full rebuild.

I cant offhand remember where the diesel is ,but I believe it's not in running order

Edit

Dusty Bin, The petrol not diesel loco is at Evesham light railway,awaiting a rebuild
sparky230

Postby Peet » 23 Oct 2014, 18:17

Even having the original steam loco as a museum piece would be a big bonus. It all takes money of course, but it would be an very nice touch.
Peet

Postby sparky230 » 15 Nov 2014, 23:34

Is Billy at the rhdr?, there's something sitting in the workshop that looks very much like a Barnes alantic, and everyone was keeping rather quite about what it was or where it came from?
Certainly the rhdr workshop would have the facilities to work on such a project
sparky230

Postby Jim Douglas Jr. » 08 Dec 2014, 23:00

It's not insurmountable. They rebuild full sized Steamers.
Taking possession would be step 1, then work could be carried out as volunteer time and funds allowed. It could be an ongoing process and would make an excellent interactive display/volunteer opportunity right on the grounds.

I think there's a lot of speculation that everything will be done the way it used to be. That model no longer works.
Dreamland will need plenty of volunteers and ever-changing attractions to remain interesting and viable.

A community based on-site volunteer restoration is just such a project. People love to watch machine work and stuff.
Kyle & Herbie the Love Bug lll53
Jim Douglas Jr.

Postby sparky230 » 09 Dec 2014, 10:10

Having had Model Engineering Experience and Full size Steam Loco Experience, Theres very little work that could be done on billie in a Inhouse Volunteer enviroment. Yes Volunteer work is a Possibility, but the Work she needs, requires a full machine shop, Realisticly the only people in the area that have right sort of Machine shop is the RHDR as they now rebuild there 15" fleet in house. They have the kit required to make parts she will need, Chatham steam would be the closet place to send the boiler.
sparky230

Postby Vince, Charlie and Sam » 29 May 2015, 18:39

Just thought I'd revive this thread to see whether there is any possibility of the SDC obtaining Billie on loan as a static display? I understand that she was withdrawn from sale some years ago, other than to Dreamland.
Vince, Charlie and Sam

Postby Jim Douglas Jr. » 08 Jun 2015, 22:28

I was just re-reading this and going to suggest that. A surprising amount of displays are items on loan.

Maybe one of you locals could start the ball rolling on that.
Kyle & Herbie the Love Bug lll53
Jim Douglas Jr.

Return to Save Dreamland Campaign Forum