The Two Iconic Bembom Era Rides!

The Save Dreamland Campaign was launched by Joyland Books in January 2003 and is now supported by several thousand people. This is the place to discuss all aspects of saving Margate's famous amusement park and its iconic , Grade II listed Scenic Railway, Britain's oldest roller coaster.

Moderators: dave771, porf, Sarah

The Two Iconic Bembom Era Rides!

Postby Phillerz » 21 Dec 2014, 21:32

I am overly excited to the point of obsession about dreamland reopening. I Google Dreamland daily... But i have been wondering something for a while and think i may just have figured it out?

I read ages ago this webpage: http://thecurioinmargate.com/2013/10/18/dreamland/
It is questions and answers from the dreamland trust.... one of the questions is:
What is the most recent ride / showpiece acquired for Dreamland? Ah, we are finalising a deal to bring back, due to popular demand, two iconic rides from the Bembom era, but we can’t reveal which ones just yet!

I was wondering and speculating what they could be. Then when browsing random videos in youtube i got this as a suggested video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P9ZkVIFm-OA Its someone looking at the abandoned Loudoun castle. I knew that it had ex Dreamland rides there. But i find it interesting that two, Bembom era rides remain. Then i saw the comments with someone saying
The twist n turn might be going be going to dreamland margate whennit reopens

Im thinking, and these are the only two rides which makes sense. Its most likely that the two rides would come from one source.... I first was thinking the big wheel, but that is abroad, or the other looping star which is also abroad.....

But as the video shops the apollo: - Which wikipedia says is the largest swing in the world :shock:

And the 'Twist n' Shout' as its now known

Found this on another forum (Think it was one of you) while discussing the 'twist and shout' on coaster force.
I sent an email to "Save Dreamland" last week to ask if there are any plans to recover this ride & move it back to Margate, this is their reply:

Hi Jim

We are currently looking at this ride as a possibility for the park. We are in the process of finalising our Year One line-up, and this is under consideration.

Regards
Nick Laister

I think these seem more likely...........!

I think it would be amazing to have a looping coaster, even though its a heritage theme park, that ride still belongs with the history of dreamland. It would definatly help bring in the big numbers of tourists.

But if this is the case, shouldnt it be announced already? On at leased one artist impression image?

Last edited by Phillerz on 13 Jan 2015, 17:20, edited 1 time in total.
Phillerz

Re: The Two Iconic Bembom Era Rides!

Postby vince69619 » 22 Dec 2014, 14:13

I think you might be thinking a bit too large scale, unless you are offering to fund these huge rides.

Try looking at Littleboy's Fairground Restorations on Facebook. The answers to your question are there. So much for Google :D

Vince.
vince69619

Postby kevinashe » 22 Dec 2014, 15:57

perhaps not such a far fetched idea,a possible long term lease might be possible especially as there is a centre parcs style complex,some housing and a restoration of the castle plans on the cards for the site
kevinashe

Postby Phillerz » 22 Dec 2014, 18:51

vince69619 wrote:I think you might be thinking a bit too large scale, unless you are offering to fund these huge rides.

Try looking at Littleboy's Fairground Restorations on Facebook. The answers to your question are there. So much for Google :D

Vince.

I am already 'Like'ing his page. My point being is i know he Is restoring the gallopers etc.... But nothing of the bembom era as stated in that link i posted. (Unless ive missed it?)

That is whats been confusing me, The more i think about it the more it makes sense to have these rides. It would increase visitors two fold for sure! Normally i would think it would be out of the question, but they are currently rusting with no buyers, while people are really wanting to develop the site of loudon castle... There being two rides (Matching the 'two rides' in the source i gave) + There being no other buyer + the strong/iconic historic links to the park.... + The comments on other sites/youtube etc stating that the rides are going to dreamland...

What other two bembom era rides could it be?
Cant be:
The big wheel - Currently abroad, in a operating theme park
The mary rose - In lightwater valley? I believe they just had the whole area rethemed recently....
Looping star - Abroad and in use...

Possible?
Ladybird - From the era but isnt it too common?
Struggle to think what else it could be?
Phillerz

Postby aweber1us » 23 Dec 2014, 11:50

I understand the Looping Star thats abroad has been bought by someone, no one is saying who. Thats the only Looping Star i would like to see back. I would put money on Appollo / Heat wave making its way back at some point . Big old ride low thrills and will be hard to sell , sat in the open for two years now. No ride line up done for stage 1 as of yet, cant wait to see it.
aweber1us

Postby sparky230 » 23 Dec 2014, 18:47

All that seems to be know, is a Uk based buyer has bought the looping star thats abroad, I know it's the same as the original bembon version, I dont know if it is the bembon version as they built more than one. As far as I know the 2nd bembon looping star (the twist and shout) is still up for sale. The state of it is not know, and it hasnt run for quite a while.
sparky230

Postby kevinashe » 23 Dec 2014, 19:19

it was in good condition 2 years ago and even had a new train fitted,not sure about it lying not getting used but until recently it still had power to it so it may occassionally get a run or 2
kevinashe

Postby sparky230 » 24 Dec 2014, 11:26

The one original looping star thats dropped off the radar is the ex bobbejaankand unit dismantled in 2004, rumorured to be sold to Antons son in 2005, but not picked up, but has since been removed from site
sparky230

Postby Jim Douglas Jr. » 08 Jan 2015, 08:25

I hear a lot of speculation but not a lot of anyone volunteering to make it happen.

Pick up the phone and start making some calls. Contact the Campaign and offer your assistance. You'd be surprised what can be accomplished by way of sponsorship and donations,, but you need to offer to help.
Kyle & Herbie the Love Bug lll53
Jim Douglas Jr.

Postby Phillerz » 08 Jan 2015, 21:14

Jim Douglas Jr. wrote:I hear a lot of speculation but not a lot of anyone volunteering to make it happen.

Pick up the phone and start making some calls. Contact the Campaign and offer your assistance. You'd be surprised what can be accomplished by way of sponsorship and donations,, but you need to offer to help.

I've offered to volunteer 3 or 4 times now. Apparently they need no more help :(. Im just really curious what the Bembom rides they spoke of are :| Ive tried doing little things like requesting theme park enthusiast website either add or update their description of Dreamland. Little else i can do :(
Phillerz

Postby Phillerz » 13 Jan 2015, 17:49

Just found this =D

http://www.amusement-rides.com/products/dream-boat/7991/

Same model as the mary rose?

Wish i won the lottery :/ Id buy them 3 rides, could theme a section as dreamland as the Bembom era.
Phillerz

Postby AJ » 15 Jan 2015, 11:08

And they've got a Trioka & Tri Star both Bembom era rides.
AJ

Postby kevinashe » 20 Jan 2015, 16:17

the troika is the loudoun castle one so its got a high probability it the ex dreamland one
kevinashe

Postby woody » 20 Jan 2015, 17:36

woody

Postby Phillerz » 21 Jan 2015, 13:05

Found out news

from coasterforce, someone discovered this
http://rcdb.com/1949.htm#

The guy on coaster force claims multiple rides have been purchased from sofialand in Bulgaria.

Thoughts?

It was my favourite ride when i was little haha
Phillerz

Next

Return to Save Dreamland Campaign Forum