DMR Route help please!!!

The Save Dreamland Campaign was launched by Joyland Books in January 2003 and is now supported by several thousand people. This is the place to discuss all aspects of saving Margate's famous amusement park and its iconic , Grade II listed Scenic Railway, Britain's oldest roller coaster.

Moderators: dave771, porf, Sarah

DMR Route help please!!!

Postby raggy41 » 31 Dec 2014, 20:48

Hi,
This has been driving me nuts for years. I used to visit Dreamland in the 70's and loved the miniature railway. I am trying to picture the route it took. I remember the start and some tunnels but that's it. What ride did it stop by at the end? Did it circle the park? Please put me out of my misery!
raggy41

Re: DMR Route help please!!!

Postby nvincer » 01 Jan 2015, 19:57

Hello there,

I modeled the route for Microsoft Train Simulator around a year ago. The second (and most frequently referred to) route was an out and back route which started behind the white building (which still stands today) ran parallel to the back of the bordering houses and then went behind the haunted snail ride, through the wooden racing coaster, behind the metal (racing?) coaster and then out into the magic gardens where it ran parallel to the main path. The magic garden station was located by the reverse loop of the scenic railway (near the amusement arcade).

Ben
nvincer

Postby timj » 01 Jan 2015, 21:48

If you do a Google search on 'map of dreamland railway' and choose images, the very 1st image is quite a good diagram. I can't make a link to the picture, but here's the site its on:

http://www.margatelocalhistory.co.uk/Pictures/Pictures-Dreamland.html
timj

Postby nvincer » 01 Jan 2015, 23:18

Miniature Railway Magazine had a full article about it in a past edition - you can pick them up very cheaply from their website too.
nvincer

Return to Save Dreamland Campaign Forum