Final Ride Line up?

The Save Dreamland Campaign was launched by Joyland Books in January 2003 and is now supported by several thousand people. This is the place to discuss all aspects of saving Margate's famous amusement park and its iconic , Grade II listed Scenic Railway, Britain's oldest roller coaster.

Moderators: dave771, porf, Sarah

Re: Final Ride Line up?

Postby AJ » 05 Feb 2015, 17:59

Shame his Waltzer isn't going. It really is a thing of beauty as is his transport.
AJ

Postby AJ » 09 Feb 2015, 01:36

Came across this the other day. Its not mentioned in tender document. But the thing is its not exactly 'heritage' as its not that old a model.
wp_ss_20150209_0001.png
wp_ss_20150209_0001.png (589.98 KiB) Viewed 8570 times
AJ

Postby Phillerz » 09 Feb 2015, 16:24

AJ wrote:Came across this the other day. Its not mentioned in tender document. But the thing is its not exactly 'heritage' as its not that old a model.
wp_ss_20150209_0001.png

Maybe not old, but the design is. It wont be out of place. Shame though that i was wrong about "The Plough" at loundon castle. That would have been better due to the historic links and the fact its the biggest of its type in the world.
Phillerz

Postby AJ » 09 Feb 2015, 18:25

I get the fact that its an 'old style' ride just a shame its going to look shiny, plastiky & fibreglass like.

I would have much rather have seen the plough brought back. As you said it has the connection and looks so different to the average wave swinger.
AJ

Postby Phillerz » 10 Feb 2015, 00:17

AJ wrote:I get the fact that its an 'old style' ride just a shame its going to look shiny, plastiky & fibreglass like.

I would have much rather have seen the plough brought back. As you said it has the connection and looks so different to the average wave swinger.

Dont get me wrong, I totally agree. But trying to look at positives! Better that than nothing!

I never rode the plough =[ never say never i guess.
Phillerz

Postby Phillerz » 17 Feb 2015, 19:02

*Removed an image because of 'copy right' You can see it on the link below. It shows the plans for a ferriswheel behind the scenic. With signs spelling 'hollywood style' DREAMLAND at both the front and rear of the site. Made of the old scenic railway.

Some interesting plans being listed on thanet planning website http://www.ukplanning.com/ukp/showCaseFile.do;jsessionid=A3FCEB85C0CE48196D31080F86042766.wam2?action=show&appType=planning%20folder&appNumber=L/TH/15/0086

Planning wise i think its safe to confirm there will be a ferris wheel.

A link was posted today http://www.kentnews.co.uk/news/essential_guide_the_re_opening_of_margate_s_dreamland_1_3959982

That confirms 15 rides

plus

big splash-pad feature and childrens driving school.

Slowly building a list of rides =D
Phillerz

Postby AJ » 05 Mar 2015, 20:33

Just read that David Littleboys has sold his Ex-Coles Caterpillar to Dreamland. Says he will be restoring it over this year. David and his team do an amazing job on their projects, the Jets look fantastic. But what happened to the Ex-Southport machine? Was this one of rides that disappeared thanks to those b******* MTCRC.
AJ

Postby vann98 » 23 Mar 2015, 10:00

Such a shame about the Southport machine though its great there is still another version out there ready for restoration. The Carousel, dodgems, Mods and Rockets, and of course the Jets ride look fantastic. Can't wait to see what other surprises there may be.

On a side note. In the case of the missing/stolen ride components, do we know if any of the rides (ie flying machines) can still be restored (with new pieces made) or will plans for there return have to be shelved?
vann98

Postby Jim Douglas Jr. » 23 Mar 2015, 20:27

Anything can be made. It's at what cost...
Dreamland will be an evolving project, probably not just for several years, but always.

You go because you want it to survive, not because of what's on the roster on opening day.
The more it's patronized, the more interest and money there'll be for additional attractions and restorations.

...and you have to go.
More than once, and plan to spend freely not worrying about counting every penny.
Kyle & Herbie the Love Bug lll53
Jim Douglas Jr.

Postby AJ » 23 Mar 2015, 21:13

Easier said than done Jim. If I could I would be down in Margate visiting Dreamland every weekend. I love that place and when this campaign kicked off I was printing banners and flyers & made the 200 plus mile round trip most weekends. I went out about getting people to put up posters, attended events and donated what money I could afford when the campaign really it need it to rescue equipment.

But time has moved on and 12 years have gone by. Now I have a family, 3 kids and number 4 about to appear in the next few weeks. I now have to plan my time around my family and their interests & hobbies. Plus the expense is something unfortunately I do have to think about as every penny we earn is being squeezed. A trip for us down to Margate would probably cost me at least £300 which is a lot to us. I cannot wait to take my kids on their first ride on the Scenic (I've been telling them all about it since the days they were born).

I'm looking forward to watching the park evolve and grow year after year. I'm not expecting everything straight away plus where would the fun or appeal be in that. We will visit and spend what we can as often as we can and hopefully Dreamland & Margate will become as special a place to my children as it has and will always be to me.
AJ

Postby kevinashe » 23 Mar 2015, 21:19

sheffield has lots of blueprints,i would expect if they dont have them somewhere else will.Its quite sad that somebody was willing to destroy classic rides although there are still a few oldies lying about in america just waiting for somebody to ship them to the uk to be restored.Who knows Conneaut Lake Park is in a bit of a bad way and they have one of the last 2 tumble bugs that still operate (there is one lying rusting somewhere else)
kevinashe

Postby AJ » 25 Mar 2015, 15:37

A Tumble Bug would be great. Its criminal the way BPB scrapped theirs.
AJ

Previous

Return to Save Dreamland Campaign Forum