Tickets for opening day

The Save Dreamland Campaign was launched by Joyland Books in January 2003 and is now supported by several thousand people. This is the place to discuss all aspects of saving Margate's famous amusement park and its iconic , Grade II listed Scenic Railway, Britain's oldest roller coaster.

Moderators: dave771, porf, Sarah

Re: Tickets for opening day

Postby SuburbanHomeboy » 26 Mar 2015, 00:07

I sent a very polite Tweet to @DreamlandMarg asking for confirmation about the Thanet resident restriction on the early ticket sales, souvenir blocks of wood and competition entry. If I hear back, I'll post on here, but the website looked pretty certain:

The UK's original pleasure park has been meticulously re-imagined and will soon be ready to welcome you to 'an old fashioned, yet oh-so-fashionable' world of fun. Tickets to Dreamland go on sale online from Friday 27th March at 10am but you can sneak a peak at all the new rides and attractions and be the first to get your mitts on some tickets by coming along in person to Dreamland HQ from 8am on Friday 27th March*.

And further down the page, the reason for the asterisk:

*If you are a Thanet District Council resident we strongly recommend bringing along a proof of address!

And here's the text from the heart.co.uk website:

Local residents will be the first to have the chance to buy tickets for the attraction from 8am, at Dreamland HQ on Marine Terrace. The first 500 to turn up will also receive a souvenir piece of the original grade II* listed Scenic Railway.

The general public will then be able to buy tickets via the online ticket office from 10am.

I guess I'm just "general public", then.
SuburbanHomeboy

Postby SuburbanHomeboy » 26 Mar 2015, 00:30

Oh yes - there also seems to be a PR company called "Kallaway" involved. Their Twitter feed had the following:

The wait is almost over! Tickets for @DreamlandMarg to go on sale this Friday - locals arrive from 8am to claim a piece of #ScenicSalvage!

The Kallaway Tweets link to a Kent Online article that states:

Tickets are to go on sale this Friday for the long-awaited Dreamland theme park re-opening.

The doors open at 8am at the venue - but the first batch will only go to locals.
SuburbanHomeboy

Postby porf » 26 Mar 2015, 08:49

From the Dreamland Margate Facebook page, which I believe is now run by the operating company

Hello Lyn, our ticket office opens from 8am at Dreamland HQ in Margate anyone keen enough to be there to join us, can buy tickets (we anticipate first day tickets will be very popular).Thanet locals who bring a proof of address will be able to take advantage of an additional special offer. Kind regards Team Dreamland.

So anyone turning up should in theory be able to buy opening day tickets.
Paul Freeman
porf
Site Admin

Postby SuburbanHomeboy » 26 Mar 2015, 11:03

If you can get a day's leave at short notice.

I was "keen enough" to trog down to Margate several times to clear weeds and support the key events in recent years, but that was all weekend stuff, so why not start selling tickets on a Saturday instead of what is (for most) a working day.
SuburbanHomeboy

Postby Cheryl » 26 Mar 2015, 20:15

Yes I am very unhappy. As a family we have been there since the very start of SDC, making many donations, letter writing, attending as many events as we could, even though we live in Birmingham. My husband did the sponsored scenic evening in 2003, riding the scenic, dressed in 1920s clothing along with a train full of others all evening. The thought of not being able to go on the opening day fills us with horror. After all it is something we have waited for, for 12 years. I would have loved a piece of the scenic, which has always been special to me since a child. I will be deeply saddened if I see any listed for sale on ebay.
I guess all of us long term supporters and donators feel very cast aside. :(
Cheryl
Cheryl

Postby AJ » 27 Mar 2015, 08:56

I'm with you there Cheryl. Its been a long 12 years and some of us have been helping from a distance. Those early years we would be down Margate as often as possible as well as attending events and donating what we could when its was needed as well as all the letter writing to the council & SoS. I remember handing out Save Dreamland posters & flyers in the town and finding little support and even confrontation from locals.

This really has been a kick in the teeth for supporters.
AJ

Postby SuburbanHomeboy » 27 Mar 2015, 09:12

Latest news - local residents to get a permanent £4 on-the-day discount.
SuburbanHomeboy

Postby Cheryl » 27 Mar 2015, 10:18

We have just got ours :D so happy and looking forward to it. Going to the party as well, so hope to see some old faces there, it's been a while since we all had some fun at dreamland!

Would have loved the chance to have a piece of the scenic, it would have been cherished in the O'Carroll household.
Cheryl
Cheryl

Postby SuburbanHomeboy » 27 Mar 2015, 10:21

See you there, Cheryl. I didn't see party tickets on sale - where were they?

EDIT: Oh! There they are... ;-)
SuburbanHomeboy

Postby EAS » 27 Mar 2015, 10:52

I agree it's rather sad that people who have been longstanding supporters of the Campaign and especially those who donated time and cash weren't allowed priority booking too (many of us live hundreds of miles away!) but let's just be grateful that Dreamland is saved and will be re-opened.

We know we all contributed to that.

Did someone say PARTY?

The tickets site is unavailable from the website link.
Ferengi Rules of Acquisition: Rule 76. Every once in a while, declare peace. It confuses the hell out of your enemies.
EAS

Postby EAS » 27 Mar 2015, 11:25

UPDATE

Have managed to get on to the website, register and book tickets for the opening day 19th June. Email arrived back with attachment with etickets to print out.

(Sad that it's all ticket entry, I wonder if a walk in and pay as you ride might have been better in the long term, but time will tell.

Party tickets include admission to Dreamland in the evening, obviously. Day tickets expire at 5pm, so if you want to be at the opening day and the party you have to buy both tickets.
Last edited by EAS on 27 Mar 2015, 15:21, edited 1 time in total.
Ferengi Rules of Acquisition: Rule 76. Every once in a while, declare peace. It confuses the hell out of your enemies.
EAS

Postby SuburbanHomeboy » 27 Mar 2015, 11:44

You should have a PDF file attached to your e-mail - you need to print it out as that is your admission ticket (it also has the date on it).

Not my favourite way of doing things, as so much malware is spread via e-mail attachments...
SuburbanHomeboy

Postby EAS » 27 Mar 2015, 11:56

And so yes I got tickets for opening day, tickets sent via email attachment.

I then booked for party, and return email says tickets as attachment, no attachment. Phone number given in email doesn't work...

If you ordered tickets via the website, suggest you double check that they are attached to the confirmation email sent!
EAS

Postby EAS » 27 Mar 2015, 12:14

Update.

On the ticket booking website there is a booking history with the PDF eticket attachments supposedly also.

Yes the Dreamland day tickets work, can't get the Hullabaloo PDF to open.

I hope others haven't had this problem, but to be on the safe side suggest double checking you have the attachment and it works!

I have tried both the phone number (which doesn't work) and the enquiries@dreamland.co.uk email, which was returned as unavailable.

"This email is confirmation of your booking to visit Dreamland along with your fast track e-ticket(s). You must print the attachment and bring this with you on the day of your visit in order to gain entry.

If you have a question in relation to your booking please email enquiries@dreamland.co.uk or call +44 (0)123 456789"

So far not good!
Attachments
Dreamland website tickets.png
Dreamland website tickets.png (43.1 KiB) Viewed 8651 times
EAS

Postby vann98 » 27 Mar 2015, 17:33

I presume the tickets are only for the opening day. I always understood it would be free admission then wristband/tokens from within?
vann98

PreviousNext

Return to Save Dreamland Campaign Forum