Tickets for opening day

The Save Dreamland Campaign was launched by Joyland Books in January 2003 and is now supported by several thousand people. This is the place to discuss all aspects of saving Margate's famous amusement park and its iconic , Grade II listed Scenic Railway, Britain's oldest roller coaster.

Moderators: dave771, porf, Sarah

Tickets for opening day

Postby SuburbanHomeboy » 23 Mar 2015, 17:29

...go on sale on Friday 27 March. Actual opening day is yet to be announced.

Dreamland website

Press Release

So - if you live in Margate, you get two hours to buy tickets for the opening day before the "General Public" are allowed to buy them online.

If you live in Margate, you'll be given a souvenir chunk of the old Scenic Railway wood, specially prepared for the day, if you're one of the first 500 through the door.

If you live in Margate, you'll be able to enter a competition to be on the first (public) run of the restored Scenic.

I don't live in Margate.
SuburbanHomeboy

Re: Tickets for opening day

Postby Jim Douglas Jr. » 23 Mar 2015, 20:21

Dammit! I bet my passport is expired. I better get that taken care of this week.
Kyle & Herbie the Love Bug lll53
Jim Douglas Jr.

Postby SuburbanHomeboy » 23 Mar 2015, 20:26

Looking forward to meeting you at last! Let's hope we can all get tickets to the opening day - if the locals haven't nabbed them all first, of course :wink:
SuburbanHomeboy

Postby dreamland » 23 Mar 2015, 21:42

Is this the opening day for when the park first opens in June ?
dreamland

Postby SuburbanHomeboy » 23 Mar 2015, 21:53

They are announcing the actual opening date on Friday, I believe. I can't quite understand why they are being so coy about it.
SuburbanHomeboy

Postby Alan » 23 Mar 2015, 22:57

Hi All,
As with the salvage wood from the ride its a pity they did not offer to campaign members too (if they can pick up) for help over the years.
Alan

Postby SuburbanHomeboy » 24 Mar 2015, 10:29

Absolutely, Alan. I can just see the tickets for the grand opening day going in the first two hours, with none left for mugs like us who had a four hour round trip every time we went down to help out.

Yes, I supported the Save Dreamland campaign from the word go.
    Yes, I've been writing to the council and doing my bit.
    Yes, I went down to the big open day to add my voice to the support.
    Yes, I volunteered for the subsequent Big Tidy day where we scraped the moss and weeds off the block paving - it was a day of hard work, but it was great to see the difference.
    Yes, I put my name down to volunteer at the Visitor Centre and at the re-opened park (but no, I never heard back).
    Yes, I went down for the grand opening of the Expo.

And now, when all that has been done, here I am:

Unable to get priority booking for the grand opening.
    Unable to qualify for a souvenir chunk of the Scenic Railway.
    Unable to enter for the competition to be on the first public ride.

Ironically, all through the Save Dreamland campaign, I have never sought to get anything special for myself - I just wanted my efforts to go towards the final re-opening of this great amusement park. It was my intention to be there on the first day of operation. I would have been happy to have just bought my ticket to go along to the grand re-opening, but now I face the prospect of missing out on all this stuff and it (as you can probably tell) is really REALLY annoying the *expletive* out of me.
SuburbanHomeboy

Postby dreamland » 24 Mar 2015, 15:09

On Friday 27th where will you be able to buy the tickets ? The dreamland expo seems to be the perfect place to buy the tickets ? How much will they be each ? And why do we need tickets ?
dreamland

Postby SuburbanHomeboy » 24 Mar 2015, 15:13

All the information I have is what is on the Dreamland website (see link in my original post).

No idea how much they will be, or even when the opening day is (WHY is it deemed such a mystery - how can people plan if they have to pay just minutes after the details are released).

And I really hope that they aren't restricting the number of tickets to make it more "special" if that means only those lucky enough to be living nearby can get them. I think it's a pretty darned special event as it is.
SuburbanHomeboy

Postby dreamland » 24 Mar 2015, 18:41

As far as I know it's on Wednesday 1st April and yes I know it's April fools day on that day but I'm sure they wouldent joke about something as serious as this event
dreamland

Postby porf » 25 Mar 2015, 11:43

1st April is the recruitment day for applying for jobs with the company that is going to operate Dreamland.

The opening date is still to be announced by the company that is going to operate Dreamland.
Paul Freeman
porf
Site Admin

Postby AJ » 25 Mar 2015, 15:35

Glad I'm not the only one feeling a bit peeved by this. In fact I'm gutted.
AJ

Postby SuburbanHomeboy » 25 Mar 2015, 15:41

Well, having read the small print on the Official Dreamland website, it seems it won't even be possible to take a day's leave, drive down and get in the queue - apparently, you have to take along proof of your Margate-based address in order to take part in the priority stuff.

Epic fail on behalf of the Dreamland management /publicity team.
SuburbanHomeboy

Postby aweber1us » 25 Mar 2015, 21:01

I'm not sure on their direction here. Made two big donations back in 2008 and its not even got a ride on the Scenic on its launch day .
aweber1us

Postby Alan » 25 Mar 2015, 22:45

As I live in Kent I was going to drive down on friday to pick up tickets, If this is the case I am not sure I will bother to get tickets on-line.
Alan

Next

Return to Save Dreamland Campaign Forum