THE NEW RIDE LINE UP

The Save Dreamland Campaign was launched by Joyland Books in January 2003 and is now supported by several thousand people. This is the place to discuss all aspects of saving Margate's famous amusement park and its iconic , Grade II listed Scenic Railway, Britain's oldest roller coaster.

Moderators: dave771, porf, Sarah

Re: THE NEW RIDE LINE UP

Postby Phillerz » 31 Mar 2015, 19:25

Guys check this page out:
http://www.dreamland.co.uk/accessibility

Dreamlands website..... full list of health and safety for each ride.

BUT WAIT

Spinning Coaster
Log Flume
& more listed

ontop of the confirmed rides!

Anyone have any ideas?
Phillerz

Postby AJ » 31 Mar 2015, 23:53

Interesting find there. Its a shame how the Trust have gone so quiet on what is happening re the 'Heritage' park. I don't think any of us expected to have a park full of classic rides from day one but it would be nice for someone to explain the plans and direction the park will hopefully take. I've put a few questions to them on Facebook and am still awaiting a reply. Seems campaign members are being seen as a pain to the Trust these days.
AJ

Postby Nick » 01 Apr 2015, 07:18

I just want to clarify that the Dreamland Trust will not be operating Dreamland. The park will be operated by Sands Heritage Ltd, who will hold the lease for the park. The Dreamland Trust developed the concept for the park, secured the funding for it and oversaw its reopening, but is now allowing the operator to take the lead. In addition, Thanet District Council is responsible for the build contracts on the site.

In addition to the rides that were procured by the Trust (the Scenic Railway restoration, Jets, Dodgems, Gallopers, Double Decker/Rocket Ride), the operator will be bringing additional rides into the park. These rides will reflect all eras of Dreamland. If you scroll down to the bottom of this article, it shows how the rides reflect each different era of amusement ride history:

http://www.kentonline.co.uk/thanet/news ... gin-33872/

It was felt by all involved in the project (both inside and outside the Trust) that it would be better to let an operator that has deeper pockets than the Trust operate the site rather than the Trust bidding to do that itself. Now that the operator is on board they are taking the lead on the running of the park; this 'switch' to the operator has been taking place gradually since the start of the year, and for this reason the Trust has stepped back from the front line. We need to allow the operator website, on which tickets can be bought, to take centre stage now, to avoid confusion. A lot of news websites, including the BBC, are still incorrectly reporting that the Trust will be operating the park. We have therefore agreed with the operator that we will take a lower profile at the moment so that people go to the correct website where they can buy tickets.

Regarding the rides that we rescued from other amusement parks, a large proportion of these were scrapped by the previous owners of Dreamland in the run-up to the transfer of the site to Thanet District Council in 2013. Most rides are now therefore incomplete so are likely to be beyond restoration. But many of them will be appearing in Dreamland in other forms - you need to visit to find out how! And we are pleased to say that following a survey of all the rides we know that the Whip, Junior Whip and Corbiere Wheel are intact and these are currently in storage for possible future restoration, subject to funding being secured.
Nick
www.joylandbooks.com
The Home of Amusement Park Books
Nick
Site Admin

Postby SuburbanHomeboy » 01 Apr 2015, 07:55

I hope we still get to see you on opening day, Nick - it's been quite a journey!

I have no doubt that it is the best option to have a more experienced park operator running the park, it's just a pity that the original campaign has now been completely sidelined. Nothing made that clearer than the run-up to the tickets going on sale last week, and I still feel remarkably bereft. I hope that dark cloud evaporates on 19th June.

Ironically, the nay-sayers are now going on about the loss of the Heritage Park concept. I'd just like to add my 2p worth and say that the original campaign was to Save Dreamland. The Heritage Park became a concept well after the campaign had gathered pace, and if the Dreamland that opens on 19th June isn't a fully-fledged Heritage Park, I say "so what?" as all we ever wanted was the park back open and the Scenic Railway rolling once more, so that will be mission accomplished.

Another thing the nay-sayers oft repeated was that no-one would visit a park with just vintage rides. Now, we have an operator who can supplement the collection of vintage rides with modern attractions to suit all tastes, so it's a win-win situation. The rides prepared by David Littleboy are first class (as always). The Scenic Railway looks fantastic already, and I can't wait to see the trains on that track. Perhaps, when a ghost train or other haunted attraction becomes a permanent installation, we could have a graveyard with gravestones sporting the names of the rides that were destined for the park, but somehow disappeared: Flying Scooters, Chairlift etc. I still can't believe that it happened!

Here's to a good first season!
SuburbanHomeboy

Postby Bob » 01 Apr 2015, 10:35

The Heritage Theme Park seems to have been cast aside. I fail to see what the Dreamland Trusts input to this is now. The park appears to have just been handed over to a commercial operator. Quite how that fits in with a considerable amount of public money being spent of it I fail to see

Lack of publicity I think is a major issue as is charging an entry fee for a small collection of rides. I don't see people being prepared to accept it. It will not draw people in from any distance there is simply nothing much there do so.

I think the way this has gone has taken it a 100% away from the original concept which never saw it as a fully commercial operation. The fact that is now just being operated by a commercial operator probably accounts for why those volunteers are now being totally ignored

The current Web Site for Dreamland does not even comply with the law as it does not give the Company name and company number
Bob

Postby SuburbanHomeboy » 01 Apr 2015, 10:44

Quick look at website; looked on the most likely page; found this: The Site is operated by Dreamland with company registration number 06936961.
SuburbanHomeboy

Postby sparky230 » 01 Apr 2015, 12:25

Bob go troll somewhere else, there is zero legally wrong with either dreamlands website run by sands or the trusts website, they both contain all the relevent information, open your eyes and look, both correctly registered on nominet, and all the company registration numbers check out.

Get over the fact you lost, The sites opening and the Scenic has been rebuilt
sparky230

Postby Bob » 01 Apr 2015, 12:45

sparky230 wrote:Bob go troll somewhere else, there is zero legally wrong with either dreamlands website run by sands or the trusts website, they both contain all the relevent information, open your eyes and look, both correctly registered on nominet, and all the company registration numbers check out.

It does not comply with the law. No registered company address or contact details are given. That is illegal

#The Dreamland Trust Web site site that the park is being operated by Sand Heritage. No company information or any information is given about Sands Heritage . The terms and conditions make no mention of any company so who's terms and conditions are they without such information they are not legally valid
Bob

Postby kevinashe » 01 Apr 2015, 12:55

what about the king solomans mine ride from southport,it had been extensivly refurbished when it left flamingoland and was rebuilt at southport.I would have thought that even a few years outside would had done little damage to this ride that tlc couldnt put right
kevinashe

Postby Phillerz » 01 Apr 2015, 15:19

kevinashe wrote:what about the king solomans mine ride from southport,it had been extensivly refurbished when it left flamingoland and was rebuilt at southport.I would have thought that even a few years outside would had done little damage to this ride that tlc couldnt put right

Also the thing im most curious about. 2 rollercoasters and dreamland is set. I asked at the ticket sales day about it, seems they were not aware of its exsistance :/?
Phillerz

Postby sparky230 » 01 Apr 2015, 17:17

Bob wrote:
sparky230 wrote:Bob go troll somewhere else, there is zero legally wrong with either dreamlands website run by sands or the trusts website, they both contain all the relevent information, open your eyes and look, both correctly registered on nominet, and all the company registration numbers check out.

It does not comply with the law. No registered company address or contact details are given. That is illegal

#The Dreamland Trust Web site site that the park is being operated by Sand Heritage. No company information or any information is given about Sands Heritage . The terms and conditions make no mention of any company so who's terms and conditions are they without such information they are not legally valid

As I said Bob Troll Off, Noimnet registration all that is legal required, https://www.dynadot.com/domain/whois.ht ... land.co.uk
sparky230

Postby AJ » 01 Apr 2015, 23:30

I really don't want to be negative but I just cannot help thinking that the reopenning could be bit of a disappointment. For the past 5 years the 'Worlds First' 'Heritage Park' has been what the Trust had been planning for and as such the media over the years has pushed this. I appreciate that the Trust have now handed over control of the park to Sands but the public probably will not know this and I can't help but think that they are going to be a little disappointed with the modern version machines in the for of the Twist, Chair-o-plane & 'type' of Caterpillar ride plus the other modern rides. Because of this I cannot see it being a destination draw or one that will make people that have travelled a distance want to return.

Heartbreaking to hear that pretty much every salvaged ride has now been lost thanks to MTCRC, I didn't realise it was quite that bad.

Originally I wasn't sold on the 'heritage' idea but as time went on it really did catch my imagination. The fact that there was nothing else like it I could see it drawing people in from all over the country. Plus it would be something different to the big Merlin parks and their million of pound rides something Dreamland could never match financially.
AJ

Postby SuburbanHomeboy » 02 Apr 2015, 12:57

I understand where you are coming from, AJ! I'd just like to mention the things I keep reminding myself of when I start thinking along your lines:

• It was 'just' an amusement park for over a century - it was only being planned to re-open it as a Heritage Amusement Park for a few recent years - but now it's going to be a great Amusement Park once again in its own right, whether it be Retro, Heritage or just plain good fun!
  • 2015 was always going to be the first phase, and I hope that there will be displays of the rides that will be joining the park next year - we have two Whip rides, a proper Vintage Caterpillar ride (can we have a sign saying what will be coming adjacent to the operator's substitute for this year, please?) and others. Visitors this year need to be made fully aware of the developmental process involved with this project.
  • The park is going to be well-branded, with the brilliant colour scheme, graphics and fonts in use all over the park.
  • There will be a range of events taking place on site.
  • The roller skating rink will be a draw - great idea for something a bit different! Even Joby Carter converted their big show 'tent' into a roller-disco rink for one season. Hope it has a decent wooden floor!
It will be a small beginning - a situation mainly brought about by the scrapping of those rides at the last minute before the CPO finally went through. I think it would be a positive to outline all the problems that this project has faced in the past - a big display of the rides there should have been, preferably in the form of gravestones outside any haunted attraction that gets installed, reports on the Scenic Railway fires and so on... Were the old Ghost Train track and cars from Southport sent to the scrapyard too? Shame!
SuburbanHomeboy

Postby vann98 » 02 Apr 2015, 14:55

Think that hits the nail on the head really.

I don't think any of us are expecting the full package to start with. Even the original Dreamland wasn't built overnight and was instead developed over the period of a decade or so.

What happened to the salvaged rides was criminal, though I believe if their absence can be made up sooner rather than later with say the Whips and a few other surprises (perhaps from the bembom era?), things might be on the right track.

I think the current ride lineup so far is good but in my opinion it really lacks another key signature ride. We have the Scenic and the Big Wheel is a great icon but in m opinion, it needs something, perhaps of a more thrilling nature to compliment and enhance the lineup.

Whatever happens, the prospect of Dreamland's return is one that fills me with great joy and relief.
vann98

Postby Cheryl » 04 Apr 2015, 09:10

I think for most of us, after the Godden, MTCRC and Dreamland Live unfortunate involvement in such an iconic place, we are dubious of 'new parties' who we know nothing about. we placed all our trust in the Trust!

I do hope Sands Heritage make a good go of it with real enthusiasm and passion and not just another Godden type enterprise. No doubt time will tell. I'm also hoping that the Dreamland Trust will still have some say and involvement in the future.
Cheryl

PreviousNext

Return to Save Dreamland Campaign Forum