THE NEW RIDE LINE UP

The Save Dreamland Campaign was launched by Joyland Books in January 2003 and is now supported by several thousand people. This is the place to discuss all aspects of saving Margate's famous amusement park and its iconic , Grade II listed Scenic Railway, Britain's oldest roller coaster.

Moderators: dave771, porf, Sarah

THE NEW RIDE LINE UP

Postby Cheryl » 28 Mar 2015, 08:38

Just browsed the rides on offer but am wondering what has happened to a lot of the pieces we acquired over the years.
I can't see any mention of the two whips, wild mouse, chairlift, octopus and a few others. Are these still a work in progress and will be added at a later date? These rides would certainly improve the experience for visitors, particularly the woodie wild mouse which really is quite white knuckle.
Cheryl
Cheryl

Re: THE NEW RIDE LINE UP

Postby EAS » 28 Mar 2015, 09:17

I was wondering the same. Has the 'concept' changed so much it is no longer the heritage park we all thought it was going to be, but merely a 'themed' park? If so, why is that?
Ferengi Rules of Acquisition: Rule 76. Every once in a while, declare peace. It confuses the hell out of your enemies.
EAS

Postby SuburbanHomeboy » 28 Mar 2015, 09:56

Morning folks!

Well, firstly don't forget that a number of containers were removed from the park by the previous owners and, apparently, sold for scrap just before the Compulsory Purchase Order went through. This included, I believe, the Flying Scooters and most of the chairlift ride.

As for the other rides, they'll need some serious restoration work, When I went down for the "scraping weeds off the block paving" volunteers' day, I took lots of pictures of the adult Whip - it was all outside (apart from the cars) and open to the elements, including the motors. The metal parts can all be sand-blasted to get rid of the rust, but the floor sections, being mainly wooden with the metal plates on top, will probably all need to be remade.

David Littleboy has done a brilliant job getting a number of the new rides ready for the park - they all look superb - and he is currently working on even more rides to go into the park next year. Most of the rides this year are transportable, which means it will be an easy job to re-arrange the whole park when the bigger, more permanent machines are added to the line up after the 2015 season.

I trust that the powers that be will have a full display showing the rides that are still to be added - it will be a fantastic collection once complete!
SuburbanHomeboy

Postby AJ » 28 Mar 2015, 10:16

Glad you guys thought the same. I don't really see the Monotopia & Drop Tower fitting in with what we were expecting in a Heritage Park. I'm sure I read somewhere that someone asked about the ride line up when they bought their tickets and were told its not a Heritage Park more a Retro Park. I know we have to wait and hopefully in the other phases the goodies we've been hoping for arrive. Apart from the Scenic there isn't much to make me want to make a 200 plus mile round trip a few times a season.

Interesting with the Caterpillar as I read that David Littleboys has sold his ride to Dreamland and is renovating it over this year. So I wonder who's ride it is?

Not really feeling the names I mean 'Counter Culture Caterpillar Coaster' for a kids ride? Can't quite see my 4 & 5 year old getting their tongues round that. Plus 'Born Slippy' for the astroglide seems a bit naff.

One last thing what do you guys think of the pay on entry model? Think this could be a mistake. Think wristbands would be better as it encourages everyone to enter the park even if they don't want to ride. These non riders would most likely spend money on concessions/food/drink/gifts. Grandparents for example would most likely be put off paying £18 to walk around the park but on a free entry they would probably spend at least that £18 on the grandchildren.

But even with all my negative sounds above let me tell you all I couldn't be happier to have DREAMLAND BACK!

Finally Nick, Sarah, Susan & Dave plus everyone else in the background congratulations and thank you for all your tireless work over the past 12 years.
AJ

Postby SuburbanHomeboy » 28 Mar 2015, 10:53

Although I agree about the drop tower and monotopia (is it like that ride at Flaming-O Land?) I think the Trust was put in a very awkward position when a number of key rides were "removed" and some of these rides are probably last-minute replacements rather than the planned attractions. The Twist, for example, looks like one of the ubiquitous fibreglass and metalflake modern machines, and the Chair-o-Plane is a modern WaveSwinger.

It's a four-hour round-trip for me, and once I've been to the opening day, I'm not sure I'll be heading back very often this season. Once more of the "proper" rides are in place, it'll be a different story, I hope. Plus, I'm still finding it hard to get over the ridiculous priority-for-locals stuff, which I feel was a truly bad move on behalf of the management - or was it the PR company's idea?

Some of the ride names are quite dreadful, I agree! The 'Counter Culture Caterpillar Coaster' you noted is simply ridiculous, but there are other aspects, such as the map saying "Hurricane Jets" when the ride in question is quite clearly painted as the "Zodiac Jets". Simple stuff like that can make the difference.

As for the pay-on-entry model - I never think this is appropriate for a seaside amusement park. In all my seaside holidays, we never planned on spending a whole day at the funfair. We'd pop in for a ride as we passed, or spend an hour there before going off to another attraction, and we probably ended up having more rides there (and spending more on individual rides) than if we had to make it a single day visit. It is appropriate for day-trippers, but that's about it. I think a better way would be to have a small admission charge and then pay-per-ride. The one benefit of a single admission fee is that the rides will be fuller more of the time, running more frequently and so attracting more people into the park. However, that will increase wear and tear as these are, on the whole, older rides. Non-riding adults will be there with children/grandchildren and will want to see them having fun, so more non-paying adults means more pockets that can be dipped into...

Looking forward to opening day!
SuburbanHomeboy

Postby Phillerz » 28 Mar 2015, 11:46

I went to the ticket sales yesterday. Ive been looking forward to it so much, but was left feeling dissapointed. Everyone there was enthusiastic handing out sweets etc.... but a little clueless.

i heard someone say its going to be a retro themed park not heratige... that to me instantly dreamlands selling point. Dont get me wrong, id much rather a modern themepark over a heratige one. But i know without a billion pounds spent, it would never compete with thorpe park.

i get your points above saying that in time more rides will be restored. With possibly the aim to become a heratige theme park. But the parks image to many will be set in its opening day.

I think the biggest blow is having no wildmouse coaster :(
Phillerz

Postby vann98 » 28 Mar 2015, 11:52

I am hoping the pay on entry scheme will be dropped sooner rather than later. With only a limited amount of rides currently, I can't seeing it being an attractive draw for people outside Margate. Two of the family members I was planning to go with have already expressed their concerns about using this price model, which is kind of gutting to hear conidering all the hard work
people have poured into this project to make it work.

Blackpool still gets critized with their pay on entry model and they have a much wider offer than Dreamland will have when it opens. I suppose it is all about the figures though...

On a side note, I understand it is vital to win over the support of the local community, but lets not forget how important Dreamland is to people outside Margate aswell.
vann98

Postby Cheryl » 28 Mar 2015, 17:05

Absolutely agree with all of you regarding the entry fee.

My parents were so looking forward to having a stroll around the park, taking in the atmosphere and seeing us all enjoying ourselves on the rides, but sadly they will not pay such a fee for this,as they would not go on any of the rides.

They would have certainly spent money on food and drinks, so those sort of opportunities will be lost for dreamland.

I hope this single fee will be rethought. The park of yesteryear offered free entry and allowed riders and non riders to enjoy the park. I think they may be doing it to stop kids hanging around, but this easily could be sorted with some decent security.
Cheryl
Cheryl

Postby mtcrc » 28 Mar 2015, 17:52

When all the rides that were brought by mtcrc were placed on site, they were supposed to be looked after by the Trust. The deterioration was down to lack of input from the Trust. Most of the good rides though had the cars and other mechanisms stored in the cinema building, so they are more than capable of being restored. The Trust washed their hands of it last year when they refused to bid to operate. And Sands still have not signed a contract with the council. So I don't know on what basis they are able to sell tickets. Maybe Thanet Council will be providing the brakeman..... Madeline Homer perhaps? And I don't think that English Heritage have finally approved the new braking system... A modern brake which takes away some of the essence of a woody.
mtcrc

Postby sparky230 » 28 Mar 2015, 19:54

having actually seen most of the rides that were stored at dreamland, many parts are little more than scrap or patterns, There wasnt one in my opion that could have run as it was, I have experience of fairground testing and inspection, In a past life i worked for Bureau Vertas doing the electrical side of ADIPS Inspections. My understanding Of Sands Contract with TDC is very different, I understand it to be all sealed signed and delivered, Although a new company I have met some of the people involved with it in a proffesional capacity in the past.
I'm not impressed with the current line, and could do better springs to mind, and there has been missed oppartunities, I know personally of rides that were offered to TDC for this season that were not taken up, From my contacts in the fair ground industry I know Sands had very little input in the Ride line up until very recently, the line up was set a while ago by TDC in there tendering process. Lets see how the first season pans out, I know of things in pipeline for next year, but ears to the ground as they say
sparky230

Postby Bob » 29 Mar 2015, 16:03

It seems to have turned in to a sad parody of what it was claiming to become. Can anyone really call it a heritage park?. It is now just a random collection of very average rides. Marketing and publicity has been pretty dire as well. They need to improve things dramatically in the next few weeks but do that have thee people up to the shop. The indications so far is no. Most information is coming second or third hand and may or may not be accurate
Bob

Postby porf » 29 Mar 2015, 19:28

Hi Bob,

Long time no hear. Are you coming to the opening? It'd be great to meet and put a face to the name of one of our longest registered campaign members.
Paul Freeman
porf
Site Admin

Postby Neil » 29 Mar 2015, 20:51

It's been a while since I've posted. Funny to think I was 13 when I joined the campaign and I'm 25 now. I've been part of this campaign for almost half my life. It's certainly been one hell of a journey, and I'm so glad Dreamland's made it out the other side. I can see why people might feel disappointed, having seen various plans over the years (including the Heritage Park and Jean Marc Toussaint's 'I Dream of Dreamland' vision). We've spent 12 years dreaming of Dreamland, and it's no surpise that expectations are high.

But what we've got is better than any of the MTCR plans, and the Scenic Railway lives on to thrill another day. At the moment Dreamland probably won't, on its own, attract people hundreds of miles. But Margates more than just Dreamland, and together you could spend a very enjoyable day (or weekend) there. If it takes off, then 10 years down the line, Dreamland could be in another golden age, with people coming down from all over Kent, London and beyond. It' not perfect, but I've got a good feeling about this one.
Neil Wilson
Neil

Postby EAS » 29 Mar 2015, 22:51

BOB! How lovely of you to drop in!

You must be gutted that Dreamland is re-opening after all your dire predictions?

How's life under that bridge these days?

Yes do pop along to the opening. Would be LOVELY to meet you at last! :lol: :lol:
Ferengi Rules of Acquisition: Rule 76. Every once in a while, declare peace. It confuses the hell out of your enemies.
EAS

Postby kevinashe » 30 Mar 2015, 17:36

there he goes again,bob knocking all the good that has been done
kevinashe

Next

Return to Save Dreamland Campaign Forum