Pay on entry fee

The Save Dreamland Campaign was launched by Joyland Books in January 2003 and is now supported by several thousand people. This is the place to discuss all aspects of saving Margate's famous amusement park and its iconic , Grade II listed Scenic Railway, Britain's oldest roller coaster.

Moderators: dave771, porf, Sarah

Re: Pay on entry fee

Postby dreamland » 28 Apr 2015, 02:27

I know not everyone is made of money Iam not made of money but come on what's £15 these days ? £15 is nothing £15 is a reasonable price in my opinion and I'm planning on going to dreamland once a week or more with my girlfriend and we are not complaining !
dreamland

Postby ex harry gray » 28 Apr 2015, 06:02

dreamland wrote:I know not everyone is made of money Iam not made of money but come on what's £15 these days ? £15 is nothing £15 is a reasonable price in my opinion and I'm planning on going to dreamland once a week or more with my girlfriend and we are not complaining !

I think your missing the point, what about the family's 4 persons plus not living in margate, have you checked out the price of train fares lately. what about the oap's who what to reminisce but too old to go on the rides and what to sit outside a café with a cup of tea and cake to take it all in. why not have a token and wrist band system. this is the last post on this matter as I can see where its going and trust me I hope this takes off after all the hard work that's gone in to it.
dave

fagb member 208
fairground society life member 44
ex harry gray

Postby mark_h » 29 Apr 2015, 14:14

SuburbanHomeboy wrote:I'd suggest that, if an admission fee is payable, then it should be a smaller fee with a wristband system for rides or a token system. The admission fee should give admission for a week - that way, holidaymakers will not be deterred from having a daily Dreamland session.

That is the system used by Blackpool Pleasure Beach. Basic entrance to the park costs £6 (includes admission to the Chinese Puzzle Maze and Pleasure Beach Express) with the other rides requiring the a wristband (£30 walkup, online discounts available) or tokens (costing upto £8 for the largest rides).

Season entry tickets cost £40. Entry and unlimited rides cost £191. By contrast the Merlin Annual Pass which includes more parks and other attraction costs £209 for an unrestricted pass.

I think that having some form of gate price is a good idea as it discourages the more antisocial customers but there should be a cheaper admission that does not include rides. It may be possible to offer free OAP admission during quiet periods (such as midweek daytime) to them to visit and spend in the cafes.
mark_h

Postby Al44 » 06 Jun 2015, 12:35

What about an OAP who won't ride should be a cheaper rate of addmission
Al44

Postby Al44 » 06 Jun 2015, 12:53

Living up here in the midlands we have Drayton Manor Theme Park..Who charge an OAP over 60 years old £15.00 if booked 7days in advance And then you can ride 40 plus ride's That a bargain compared to DREAMLANDS £15:00 admission for only 17 ride's that's if ur lucky.
Al44 wrote:What about an OAP who won't ride should be a cheaper rate of addmission
Al44

New Rides

Postby Al44 » 09 Jul 2015, 08:10

9/7/15 I see from David Littleboy's website he erected another ride at Dreamland a Morris Motors Car Ride opening this week-end with more to follow next week.
Al44

Postby aweber1us » 09 Jul 2015, 19:07

David Littleboys has bought Back his Speedway and is also bringing it to Dreamland till the end of the season. Can't wait to ride it, we are very lucky to have David's support.
aweber1us

Postby EAS » 09 Jul 2015, 19:17

Great news. Cannot wait to return to Dreamland! Beautiful rides, what a joy to see.

http://www.littleboys.co.uk/latest-news ... ay-is-back

http://www.littleboys.co.uk/latest-news ... nd-margate
Ferengi Rules of Acquisition: Rule 76. Every once in a while, declare peace. It confuses the hell out of your enemies.
EAS

Postby SuburbanHomeboy » 10 Jul 2015, 08:03

A day of truly mixed emotions!

Absolutely AWESOME news that Littleboy's Speedway is heading to Dreamland!

Dreadful news about the Tories new brownfield "no planning applications needed - build anything you like on any site you like" idea. Basically, if Dreamland falters for a fraction of a second, those housing developers get to build...
SuburbanHomeboy

Postby EAS » 10 Jul 2015, 12:26

The dramatic move, which is expected to be confirmed in a speech in Birmingham later today (10 July), will see automatic permission granted on ‘suitable’ brownfield land

There will be a process requiring the LPA to confirm the suitability of the land
Ferengi Rules of Acquisition: Rule 76. Every once in a while, declare peace. It confuses the hell out of your enemies.
EAS

Postby Bob » 19 Jul 2015, 17:01

ex harry gray wrote:
dreamland wrote:I know not everyone is made of money Iam not made of money but come on what's £15 these days ? £15 is nothing £15 is a reasonable price in my opinion and I'm planning on going to dreamland once a week or more with my girlfriend and we are not complaining !

I think your missing the point, what about the family's 4 persons plus not living in margate, have you checked out the price of train fares lately. what about the oap's who what to reminisce but too old to go on the rides and what to sit outside a café with a cup of tea and cake to take it all in. why not have a token and wrist band system. this is the last post on this matter as I can see where its going and trust me I hope this takes off after all the hard work that's gone in to it.

In my view they are making a serious mistake by trying to charge everyone £15 just to enter Dreamland. It will fail. People will not pay that for a small seaside fairground. People may go once but will not return.

You could get for example grandparents taking the grandchildren to Margate for the day. They are not going to pay out £60 plus transport costs when they probably would not want to even go on most of the rides. The idea that it will encourage trouble is just daft. They are just turning revenues away as money would spend on restaurants , fast food etc and minor attraction A well run site should be able to deal with
it in the unlikely situation happened. Most people would feel short changed for being charges £15

Quite why the Dreamland Trust are not operating it is unexplained. The excuse given is Sand Leisure have deeper pockets but the contract that Sand Leisure have does not expose them to any real financial risk. They just have a contract to operate the site on behalf of TDC.
Bob

Postby EAS » 19 Jul 2015, 22:49

Bob! How we have missed you and your unmitigated, uninformed drivel!

It's clear you haven't a clue and have not been to Dreamland, and have no idea of the charging structure for various parts of the site, or the scope and variety of what's on offer and the various changing entertainments as well as the rides. Me, I'm planning another visit very soon. I think it's remarkable value for money! Care to join me?

Out of interest, do you troll other forums too? Or is it just this one?
EAS

Postby Bob » 20 Jul 2015, 17:51

You are free to disagree but I stand by my argument that the pricing model is wrong and most people will not pay that for a small seaside fairground. I think you will find the majority of people agree with me. It will particularly put of the important family market others will visit once but will not return.
Bob

Postby Phillerz » 20 Jul 2015, 18:27

Bob wrote:You are free to disagree but I stand by my argument that the pricing model is wrong and most people will not pay that for a small seaside fairground. I think you will find the majority of people agree with me. It will particularly put of the important family market others will visit once but will not return.

I agree with Bob. Ive walked past dreamland multiple times now but still have not made a visit (Other than a look around the main building)! Currently i find it hard to justify paying for a visit now, when the scenic is coming in a matter of days? But also many of the times i walked past were in the evening, and didnt want to pay full price, for an hours ride.

If it was free entry, wristband style. I would have walked around the rides (Maybe spent a token or too if it was on offer....) But would have bought at leased an ice cream. Id even have paid a small fee just to enter the site!

Pay on entry is right for thorpe park, Alton towers etc as they are out of town. But it is not right for Dreamland. It should encourage people to come in and out, window shop even. My family have not visited as many would not ride the rides, but would spend money on their children etc (Which all still havvent been). If it is set in stone that it must be pay on entry, then i do say that it must be either cheaper, off peak prices, no ride prices etc. I will go to dreamland this summer, i will spend near on £20 just to enter, but ill only go the once. And ill feel too stingy to buy anything while im there.

That is my brutally honest view on it. Im a mega Dreamland fan - i check on here daily! But i know my view is shared by all my friends. If they could change the pricing scheme just a little, i would be there daily. Otherwise i simply cant afford it :(
Phillerz

Postby vann98 » 20 Jul 2015, 23:02

While I am starting to come to terms with the reasoning behind the move, I think it is inevtiable that in the long term, the ticket system will crash and be replaced with wristbands. Couldn't say when but I just can't see it reaching its full potential without.

Having said that, they are doing a damn good job so far. The way they are spicing up the lineup with new rides and experiences will surely entice people back to a degree.
vann98

PreviousNext

Return to Save Dreamland Campaign Forum