Scenic Brakeman

The Save Dreamland Campaign was launched by Joyland Books in January 2003 and is now supported by several thousand people. This is the place to discuss all aspects of saving Margate's famous amusement park and its iconic , Grade II listed Scenic Railway, Britain's oldest roller coaster.

Moderators: dave771, porf, Sarah

Scenic Brakeman

Postby EAS » 06 Apr 2015, 16:03

Or indeed, woman... brakeperson ...

I believe I read in another thread that the new operators of the Dreamland site were possibly planning to have a 'modern' braking system, whatever that means?

Can anyone add any info?

Scenic without a brakeman would be not the ride it should be...
Ferengi Rules of Acquisition: Rule 76. Every once in a while, declare peace. It confuses the hell out of your enemies.
EAS

Re: Scenic Brakeman

Postby porf » 06 Apr 2015, 18:53

I've heard of the plans to add a more modern braking system, including brakes at various points around the track. Nothing was yet present around the track when I visited a few weeks ago.

The operating companiy's website is pretty categoric that there will be a brake man on the trains.

Boils down to a question of what the brakeman will actually be doing I guess. I don't think we'll hear much from the operating company, worst case scenario is a completely cosmetic brakeman
Paul Freeman
porf
Site Admin

Postby dreamland » 07 Apr 2015, 08:11

The scenic needs a brakeman otherwise it won't be the same as it used to be it would be weird , also sands heriatage have no experience in running a theme park and that would allso apply to the scenic railway so in my opinion they need someone like Dave collard to teach them how to be a breakman as he knows what he's doing
dreamland

Postby EAS » 07 Apr 2015, 11:35

Well, let us hope there is a brakeman, and of course DC is the EXPERT on operating the Scenic...

(In true retro style... my Other Half recalls in his yoof the brakeman was a 'teddy boy' in drapes, drainpipes, brothel creepers, bunch of grapes hair, and he could make the Scenic a very hairy ride indeed at times,... long before Dave's time. Anyone any idea who?)
Ferengi Rules of Acquisition: Rule 76. Every once in a while, declare peace. It confuses the hell out of your enemies.
EAS

Return to Save Dreamland Campaign Forum