Ride Line Up - Details

The Save Dreamland Campaign was launched by Joyland Books in January 2003 and is now supported by several thousand people. This is the place to discuss all aspects of saving Margate's famous amusement park and its iconic , Grade II listed Scenic Railway, Britain's oldest roller coaster.

Moderators: dave771, porf, Sarah

Ride Line Up - Details

Postby Phillerz » 21 May 2015, 16:32

Hey guys,

We all know what rides will be there on opening. But what do we know about them?

Does anyone know how tall the drop tower will be? (Im hoping it will tower above everything and not be a low mobile/kiddie version)

Do we know how big or the origins of the 'monotopia' ride?

Its under a month until opening, and ive not seen a single sign of them. Suggests to me they will be small, travelling theme park type rides?

Alot of talk on facebook of fears it wont open on time, whats your thoughts?
Phillerz

Re: Ride Line Up - Details

Postby vann98 » 21 May 2015, 16:41

Seeing as the wheel had to have planning permission but the drop tower didn't, my guess is that the tower is relatively small. Hopefully it least competes with the one at Southend. Any smaller and I think classing it as a thrill ride is a poor choice on their part.

I have also seen a lot of fears the park won't be ready in time though I easily recon they will pull it together in the coming month.
What seriously bothers me is the only sign of green at the park are the two Godden era trees that sit behind the Scenic. I understand seeds have been planted within the scenic railway and most of the landscaping comes afterwards but if Dreamland expect to just place a few plant pots around last minuite and call it a day, it will be disappointed. That hard standing is disgusting.
vann98

Postby AJ » 22 May 2015, 21:33

Interesting that you said that the Big Wheel needed planning permission as I always believed that as long as the structure was a ride then planning permission was not required. Has this now changed then and if so why?
AJ

Postby dave771 » 22 May 2015, 22:38

Im not sure what the height is, I think it is around 70 feet. If the attraction is above this height then planning permission is required by the local authority.
Please dont waffle our Walter !
dave771

Postby Phillerz » 23 May 2015, 18:39

dave771 wrote:Im not sure what the height is, I think it is around 70 feet. If the attraction is above this height then planning permission is required by the local authority.

By that logic, it will not be high. plus the art showing the droptower plus there refusal to answer my question on the height meaaaaaans that its a childrens drop tower....

Really hope im wrong, the one they had around 2005 looked pretty decent from what i saw on youtube. (I didnt go that year :( ) I know dreamland isnt trying to compete with Thorpe Park.... But i feel it might be somewhat an anti climax for the majority of people who were expecting a wildmouse, Whip, water rides or even the looping star/mary rose... What dreamland needs is something on the scale of another coaster, A decent drop tower would have been it.

Edit: Doesnt look to big from this picture someone put up on facebook: https://scontent-lhr3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xpa1/t31.0-8/11218554_832403736842173_5087667727086024259_o.jpg

Im still hopeful to be wrong.
Last edited by Phillerz on 23 May 2015, 19:13, edited 1 time in total.
Phillerz

Postby Phillerz » 23 May 2015, 19:03

Sorry for double post. I want looking to see if there were any pictures of the new traines for the scenic and found a link i dont know if this has been shown on here: http://woodrouting.co.uk/project/margate-roller-coaster/ I was looking at old rollercoasters of coney island (Random link i found) Anyone know why all coasters seemed to have dragon carvings? http://www.westland.net/coneyisland/articles/images/con-switchbackrwy.jpg and in australia http://funpark.ciderhousetech.com.au/images/stories/TP_Images/Rides/srlpm.jpglooks virtually identical to the scenics :o
Phillerz

Postby vann98 » 23 May 2015, 19:38

I agree with you about a second signature ride. It is crazy how every time I go on the Facebook pages, the amount of people asking whether or not the Looping Star or Mary Rose will be there.
As an enthusiast, I understand the management have a job to market all attractions to their full potential and that the tower may be hyped up way more than it should. I just worry that it will go down with the public like a lead balloon if they are expecting some intense drop tower then arrive to see a kiddie jump one.
vann98

Postby stuart » 27 May 2015, 11:49

I posted a picture of the actual drop tower here which has been removed. Maybe admins can say why?
stuart

Postby Phillerz » 08 Jun 2015, 10:13

Saw the top of the drop tower 'jumpin star' has been posted on facebook. Looks exactly like this one i found online by googling 'jumpin star' as seen in the picture.
Phillerz

Postby vann98 » 08 Jun 2015, 12:11

There is one pretty much identical to that at Dymchurch.
Being named 'Drop Tower', I think people are expecting something on the line of Detonator at Thorpe Park, or the very least the tower at Adventure Island. I hope people won't be too surpised.
vann98

Postby stuart » 08 Jun 2015, 12:39

This is very confusing. The ride pictured above is definitely the same as the one that has been put up at Dreamland over the weekend and whilst I'm 100% supportive of all efforts at Dreamland marketing this as a drop tower is misleading to say the least.

I was told that the drop tower that had been acquired was significantly higher than this and came from Bulgaria, along with other rides. Interestingly, there is a video on Dreamland facebook page with a technical guy listing the rides that they will have and he says 'we've got a jumping tower and a drop tower' so maybe there will be both eventually. Also, on facebook they've posted a visitor experience simulation video and on this you can clearly see a water chute and second coaster (crazy mouse) which ties in with the rides from Bulgaria.

I don't want to sound negative about anything here but if the 'jumpin star' is the representation of the modern day era then I think that section is a little weak.
stuart

Postby Phillerz » 08 Jun 2015, 17:16

Be great if you are right Stuart. Although i fear it might not be. It is easy to hear how high the new big wheel is, im sure if the drop tower was close, the high would also be listed, and the design shown in the map is.... identical. We will soon find out :D
Phillerz

Postby vann98 » 16 Jun 2015, 12:43

I'm glad to see the drop tower has been renamed jumping tower and retargeted at children. It was pretty misleading before and I feel this will avoid dissalointment among adults expecting something more intense.

Also pleased they have decided to add the Crazy Mouse. It's no wooden mouse but it definetly adds a big improvement to the adult thrill lineup making it more worth while going.

Bit late but better than never. Nice iob
vann98

Postby Phillerz » 16 Jun 2015, 13:11

vann98 wrote:I'm glad to see the drop tower has been renamed jumping tower and retargeted at children. It was pretty misleading before and I feel this will avoid dissalointment among adults expecting something more intense.

Also pleased they have decided to add the Crazy Mouse. It's no wooden mouse but it definetly adds a big improvement to the adult thrill lineup making it more worth while going.

Bit late but better than never. Nice iob

Agreed on that. It got me thinking, they have that modern catapillar which they will replace with the newly restored one next year?

So do you think they will do the same thing with an old wild mouse in time and replace this modern one?

Either way im not fussed, im happy there is a wild mouse =D
Phillerz

Return to Save Dreamland Campaign Forum