Corbiere Wheel and ex Blackpool Whip

The Save Dreamland Campaign was launched by Joyland Books in January 2003 and is now supported by several thousand people. This is the place to discuss all aspects of saving Margate's famous amusement park and its iconic , Grade II listed Scenic Railway, Britain's oldest roller coaster.

Moderators: dave771, porf, Sarah

Corbiere Wheel and ex Blackpool Whip

Postby Busheyfields » 23 May 2015, 20:12

Went down to Ramsgate today and was sad to see both of the above rotting in the sea air on the hard standing by the old ferry terminal. Now that Sands Heritage are running the park are these two iconic rides going to lost forever or is there still a chance they may be restored in the course of time?
Busheyfields

Re: Corbiere Wheel and ex Blackpool Whip

Postby aweber1us » 26 May 2015, 11:34

It would be good to know that both Blackpool Whips will play a part in Dreamland one day. I think what we see now is the start of Dreamland we have to allow it to evolve.
aweber1us

Postby Busheyfields » 27 May 2015, 08:53

I realise Dreamland will evolve, the point I was making is that the two rides that are sitting out in the sea air completely unprotected may well corrode away to the point that they will no longer be in a fit state to restore.
Busheyfields

Postby Jim Douglas Jr. » 28 May 2015, 00:18

Instead of depending on others, why don't you start making inquiries of them to see if they'd be willing to donate them?
All of these things started with volunteer effort.
Don't send emails. Find phone numbers and start making calls.

My involvement included contacting the BBC, Thanet Council (my letter made a HUGE, vote-swaying impact), and Prince Charles Foundation - and I'm on the other side of the planet.

Imagine how much you could do right there.
Kyle & Herbie the Love Bug lll53
Jim Douglas Jr.

Postby AJ » 29 May 2015, 09:08

Both the Wheel & the Whip have already been donated to the project. I think what Bushey is getting at is that if these are part of the future plans then Sands Heritage needs to store them properly not leave them on the seafront open to the elements and corrosion thanks to the sea. Though not sure how much 'heritage' will be part of the future plans.

I'm so glad the place is opening and so are my kids (who I've gone on & on about the place to since they were born) but I am nervous for the project. Reading comments on the Dreamland facebook groups I think most people are expecting a lot more than they are going to get and may very well be disappointed. They don't realise this is a project in its infancy that's going to evolve.
AJ

Postby Chris H » 29 May 2015, 14:05

Of course there is going disappoint plus criticism from a percentage of the public,
initially this is to be expected.

I don't see this having a major impact on visitors numbers returning after this summer.
With a strong marketing campaign in place, the public will certainly return regardless.
This is only the first season.

Take into account the funds available initially plus the sheer expanse of this project.
From what I have seen, there is already more attractions than I expected in the first year!
Chris H

Postby kevin » 29 May 2015, 14:15

What concerns me is that lottery money was awarded to create the "the world’s first amusement park of historic rides". Just how far is this proviso being met and with the operators being a commercial company, looking to make a profit, will the best interests of this vision ever be met?
kevin

Postby stuart » 29 May 2015, 18:53

I don't think that any funds were awarded to restore historic rides as such:

On 16 November 2009, the Dreamland Trust was awarded a grant of £3 million by the Heritage Lottery Fund with further funding of £3.7m and £4m coming from the UK Department for Culture, Media and Sport and Thanet District Council respectively, to restore the Scenic Railway and to develop the former Dreamland site as necessary for rejuvenation.
stuart

Postby kevin » 29 May 2015, 21:36

Heritage lottery fund press release:-

"The HLF grant is match funding to the Department for Culture, Media and Sport’s Sea Change grant of £3.7m and Thanet District Council’s contribution of £4m. The money will be used by the Dreamland Trust to restore Dreamland Margate and create a unique visitor attraction for the UK - the world’s first amusement park of historic rides with classic side shows, cafés, restaurants, special events, festivals and gardens and a celebration of our British seaside and popular culture with youth culture heritage at its heart".

https://www.hlf.org.uk/about-us/media-c ... WhzpFLp8l8
kevin

Postby vann98 » 07 Jun 2015, 22:15

Regarding the whip, wheel and wild mouse, Dreamland have this to say on their FAQ.
"Sadly, Dreamland no longer owns the Wild Mouse. However, the Whip and the Corbiere Wheel are being stored by the Dreamland Trust for future development."

http://www.dreamland.co.uk/frequently-asked-questions
vann98

Return to Save Dreamland Campaign Forum