Scenic Trains

The Save Dreamland Campaign was launched by Joyland Books in January 2003 and is now supported by several thousand people. This is the place to discuss all aspects of saving Margate's famous amusement park and its iconic , Grade II listed Scenic Railway, Britain's oldest roller coaster.

Moderators: dave771, porf, Sarah

Re: Scenic Trains

Postby Kimberley » 18 Sep 2015, 15:29

Here's a photo of the trains on the track, taken from Kent Online :)

You can also see the Scenic testing in the background of this video below, which also gives a nice view of the site overall :)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7shV8G26TD4

I'm sure more testing videos will emerge soon!
Kimberley

Postby porf » 18 Sep 2015, 15:58

Thanks Kimberly

I'm pleased that the train in that photo doesn't actually have the really odd 90 degree cut outs at the front of the dragons that the original promo photo (attached) does and that these were just down to lazy photo-shopping!
That's great news after all time and effort that went into borrowing and 3D scanning a set of the original dragons and re-creating them.

Can't say I'm a massive fan of the trellis (which tower above the dragons that should be the key feature) or the colour scheme - but maybe the latter will grow on me, I guess it fits with the new colour "retro" colour scheme used on the rest of the park.

Most important thing is how it rides - Hopefully we'll find out soon!
Attachments
scenic.jpg
scenic.jpg (186.81 KiB) Viewed 8320 times
Paul Freeman
porf
Site Admin

Postby Coaster Scenery » 18 Sep 2015, 23:38

The photoshopped photo shows the centre car of the train (4 seats versus five). The photo from the Kent Online article is better. The sideboards appear to be individually removable. The missing ones from the picture in the article are lying on the floor of the car. The blue is a lighter shade than the previous photo suggests too which I'm less keen on now.

It sits well on the track though and it's pretty imposing. Shame about the extra restraints. They are necessary to prevent riders being able to touch the structure as the trains travel. The bogies are also steel with wooden facials to represent the original. All because the placement of the bolts on the original were out as far as regulations go and an alternative arrangement wasn't possible. Even though it operated perfectly safely for a century.
Coaster Scenery

Postby porf » 01 Oct 2015, 12:08

Now confirmed that the trains aren't going to be running for Saturday's European Coaster Club visit.

Starting to wonder when we'll see the Scenic running.

Delays are understandable, but this is looking like a project with no planned timescales.
Paul Freeman
porf
Site Admin

Postby David Littleboy » 02 Oct 2015, 08:40

I recently rode the Scenic as part of a test run and the ride is fantastic!

I understand TDC are working with the ADIPS testing company to resolve the final issues so it should be very soon.

Regards

David
David Littleboy

Postby aweber1us » 02 Oct 2015, 12:07

I think in fairness its taken a year to re build / restore this ride. I dont really think thats to bad when you think its a listed structure.
aweber1us

Postby SuburbanHomeboy » 03 Oct 2015, 08:21

Whenever I think about how long it is taking to get the scenic open to the public once more, I just remind myself of their starting point. The original trains just a mass of ashes and corroded metalwork. The entire lift-hill structure gone. This is without considering that access to the site was denied until the CPO finally went through - so it was like the starting pistol in a marathon.

Had the arson attack not happened, then we'd have our scenic back already. The people who opposed this park, in such a destructive manner, are the ones at whom we should be pointing the finger of blame - whoever they are.

I'm just so pleased that the structure looks as new, that there are proper trains running the entire course sucessfully and that I will get my ride on the scenic at some point in the (near?) future. The fact that Dreamland exists at all is quite something; that those responsible for bringing it back into existence have done such a brilliant job? No words!
SuburbanHomeboy

Postby Vince, Charlie and Sam » 03 Oct 2015, 20:50

David Littleboy wrote:I recently rode the Scenic as part of a test run and the ride is fantastic!

I understand TDC are working with the ADIPS testing company to resolve the final issues so it should be very soon.

Regards

David

Personally, I'm not at all happy about TDC having any type of role in the operation of Dreamland, why would a local council be involved with the operation of a theme park?

I do hope the Scenic Railway opens soon, but all we seem to get is a never-ending list of excuses. I'm not saying this to be overly critical, rather I am just itching to go and spend my money at Dreamland and am being thwarted at every step.
Vince, Charlie and Sam

Postby Peet » 05 Oct 2015, 19:54

There's a nice picture of the train in the workshop on the ECC facebook page here, looks like they at least got a behind-the-scenes tour:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/Officia ... s/?fref=ts

I'm not an ECC member so can't join the FB group to see if there are any more pictures. This is the first picture I've seen of the complete train, let's hope it's not long to wait now.
Peet

Postby Jim Douglas Jr. » 07 Oct 2015, 21:54

Um, there are no timetables because the work is done as fast as it can be, and there's just no way to know how long it will take to make everyone happy and complete the work.

It's like asking how many days will it take to completely disassemble and restore a Morris Minor.
There's just no way of knowing.
Locating or fabricating parts takes as much time as it takes.
The people, the materials, the logistics, the labor, assembly, testing, re-fabricating mistakes. All take time.

I'm sorry, but this is just common sense.
It's not all an on-demad TV/cell phone world. It's just not that simple.

It'll go faster, though, if you go down and volunteer.
Last edited by Jim Douglas Jr. on 07 Oct 2015, 22:04, edited 2 times in total.
Kyle & Herbie the Love Bug lll53
Jim Douglas Jr.

Postby Jim Douglas Jr. » 07 Oct 2015, 21:56

He's right. It's amazing it's back at all.
Point the finger at Waterbridge/whatever-dumbass-other-names they operated under.
They're the ones who torched it.
How soon we all seem to forget.
Jim Douglas Jr.

Postby Jim Douglas Jr. » 07 Oct 2015, 22:06

...and go to Dreamland anyway.
Your money will be well spent. You all wanted this and now it's time to pony up and support it.
Jim Douglas Jr.

Postby porf » 09 Oct 2015, 10:27

From Dreamland's Facebook page:

The opening of the Scenic Railway is imminent and within the next few days we will be making a formal announcement. To ensure you hear this announcement first, become a Dreamland Member or sign up to our newsletter on our website. www.dreamland.co.uk/membership
Paul Freeman
porf
Site Admin

Postby Peet » 12 Oct 2015, 10:13

I've just seen there are some really good photos of the train in action on rcdb.

http://rcdb.com/875.htm#

Peet

Postby stuart » 13 Oct 2015, 09:16

It looks amazing!
How exciting :)
stuart

PreviousNext

Return to Save Dreamland Campaign Forum