Scenic Trains

The Save Dreamland Campaign was launched by Joyland Books in January 2003 and is now supported by several thousand people. This is the place to discuss all aspects of saving Margate's famous amusement park and its iconic , Grade II listed Scenic Railway, Britain's oldest roller coaster.

Moderators: dave771, porf, Sarah

Re: Scenic Trains

Postby Phillerz » 03 Jul 2015, 12:32

I still want to know whether or not the wild mouse is staying after the scenic reopens? Does anyone have any idea?
Phillerz

Postby dreamland » 13 Jul 2015, 19:22

Hello porf if you are reading this I really need you to reply to this message please , I've tried to get hold of the people that are restoring our scenic trains but having no luck ! I really need to find someone who can calve me a scenic railway dragon that goes on the side of the scenic trains and I will pay good money for someone to do it for me , please help me out to get through to the right people , cheers
dreamland

Postby porf » 17 Jul 2015, 18:38

From a post to the park's Facebook page it appears on site testing has started today.

Hopefully not too long until the park's centrepiece opens.
Paul Freeman
porf
Site Admin

Postby stuart » 17 Jul 2015, 21:45

And the station looks amazing! The carpentry work and queue lines look great. Best it's ever looked!

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10153487908845645&set=o.247930755250102&type=1
stuart

Postby SuburbanHomeboy » 18 Jul 2015, 08:29

Agreed, Stuart. I can't find the words to express what a brilliant job has been done - all round! Despite half the rides being closed on Opening Day, I had a great time. When I return next Thursday, I'll have all the flat rides to choose from, with the addition of David Littleboy's fantastic Speedway (now there is the perfect ride for those rock 'n' roll staff outfits), a vintage Grasscutter Twist and the chance to see trains rolling around the Scenic once more.

Can't wait!
SuburbanHomeboy

Postby aweber1us » 15 Sep 2015, 10:50

Its looking like the Scenic trains have now arrived at Dreamland. Bring it on
aweber1us

Postby dave771 » 15 Sep 2015, 13:22

Please dont waffle our Walter !
dave771

Postby Phillerz » 15 Sep 2015, 15:14

Wonder why it has trellis on the sides now, Im just happy to see it going back on the tracks. :D
Phillerz

Postby porf » 15 Sep 2015, 19:14

I guess it's all down to modern safety requirements, but boy that is fugly!
Paul Freeman
porf
Site Admin

Postby SuburbanHomeboy » 16 Sep 2015, 06:53

Great to see the trains arrive at last - anyone had their re-admission e-mail yet? Can't wait to get a ride.

Just a couple of thoughts:

Has that safety bar system already been approved by HSE? I remember the problems the Grasscutter Twist had, and that had a similar kind of bar system. If combined with a seatbelt, it should be OK, but on its own, I doubt it will cater for the not-so-tall riders if sitting with an adult.

Wow - that trellis! Highly restricted view to the side and, given the width of the trains, it'll be a squeeze for two adults to sit in the same seat shoulder-wise. Also. with the trellis at the back, it will be impossible to put your arm around your riding partner (if appropriate ;-)), which used to be a good way of getting two pairs of adult shoulders into the same seat.

BUT - they have done a great job with these trains - they look just like the originals (apart from the trellis).
SuburbanHomeboy

Postby vann98 » 16 Sep 2015, 10:26

The Trains look great in terms of colour scheme and the iconic dragon heads.
However the trellis really throws out the proportion of the trains for me. The Dragons looks particularly small in comparison which is a shame to say the least.

I don't know why this has been added though as it is almost certain to be regarding safety, it makes me wonder why they couldn't have gone with a more sympathetic design like the Scenic at Luna Park which has similar side rail restrictions.

Trellis aside, it is good to have them back!
vann98

Postby Kimberley » 16 Sep 2015, 12:23

I love the colour scheme, really lovely trains! I am also a little unsure about the trellis, however, this is of minor concern to me. Without meaning to sound too sentimental, back in 2008 many of us I'm sure were in doubts as to whether we would see the Scenic operating again, and so to see progress made this far is wonderful to see - it's all a countdown to opening day from here now :D I truly cannot wait to ride it once again!
Kimberley

Postby Coaster Scenery » 17 Sep 2015, 10:17

The trains look great! Very good paint job. I'm guessing the other train will be green. The steel panels don't look as bad or as restricting of the view as I was expecting and I personally prefer them to the bars on the cars of the Scenic at Luna Park.

That photo has been photoshopped though. It would have been nice to have a picture of the train actually on the track.
Coaster Scenery

Postby SuburbanHomeboy » 17 Sep 2015, 14:14

Well spotted! I just thought my astigmatism was getting worse. The perspective in that photo is all wrong - it looks like the seats are angled to face to the right by about 20 degrees when compared to the wooden base. I can see it quite clearly now - the base was photographed on the gravel in front of the Scenic, then a photograph of the seat structure was photoshopped onto the base, ignoring the fact that the seats were photographed from a very different angle to the base.

So - are the trains actually at Dreamland, or has the first train just been finished in the workshop?

Interesting stuff - and very bad photoshopping ;-)
SuburbanHomeboy

Postby porf » 18 Sep 2015, 14:44

Well spotted indeed. I'd been wondering what bothered me so much about the angle the seats were at!

Another couple where I'm not sure if it's the photo-shopping or not:

Why have the bottom front corners of the dragons been cut away? Doesn't match the originals nor the photos of the unpainted dragons put out by CNC Woodworking

Why do only some seats have side boards?

Anyway looking forward to seeing the Scenic running again soon.
Paul Freeman
porf
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Save Dreamland Campaign Forum