Not long now... OPENING DAY

The Save Dreamland Campaign was launched by Joyland Books in January 2003 and is now supported by several thousand people. This is the place to discuss all aspects of saving Margate's famous amusement park and its iconic , Grade II listed Scenic Railway, Britain's oldest roller coaster.

Moderators: dave771, porf, Sarah

Not long now... OPENING DAY

Postby EAS » 19 Jun 2015, 07:55

I've been in Margate since Tuesday watching the last minute work to get Dreamland open today. Loads of last minute painting & tidying happening to make the frontage look welcoming and the rides ready.

I know people have been working overnight, and are still at it this morning, but wonderful TV coverage this morning, and thanks for the Save Dreamland Campaign mentions! As I type Dave Collard is on telly!

So, Scenic isn't running as yet but it's looking fantastic, in the overall scheme of things it's not going to be long before it's all OK. I'll return, hopefully, another year.

The buzz in the town over its re-opening is huge.

It's three years since I was last in Margate, and I can certainly see the changes for the better that the Turner has brought. The regeneration is ongoing but hopefully Dreamland will be a great part of that.

So, have great day all, will report back tonight

Woohooo!

We did it folks...
Ferengi Rules of Acquisition: Rule 76. Every once in a while, declare peace. It confuses the hell out of your enemies.
EAS

Re: Not long now... OPENING DAY

Postby porf » 19 Jun 2015, 11:12

We'll be down later to check the park out.

It's not a perfect opening, it needs to grow and find its way, BUT more importantly it isn't a massive block of flats or a pile of arsoned wood!

Congratulations to all who over the years have been involved in the campaign and the trust. Without everyone's involvement certain developers would have had an easy ride and certain councils wouldn't have been pushed into doing what's best for a seaside resort.
Paul Freeman
porf
Site Admin

Re: Not long now... OPENING DAY

Postby EAS » 19 Jun 2015, 22:38

It's been a great day. Still can't quite believe it, but Dreamland is now open.
Ferengi Rules of Acquisition: Rule 76. Every once in a while, declare peace. It confuses the hell out of your enemies.
EAS

Return to Save Dreamland Campaign Forum