First Impressions

The Save Dreamland Campaign was launched by Joyland Books in January 2003 and is now supported by several thousand people. This is the place to discuss all aspects of saving Margate's famous amusement park and its iconic , Grade II listed Scenic Railway, Britain's oldest roller coaster.

Moderators: dave771, porf, Sarah

Re: First Impressions

Postby Jim Douglas Jr. » 23 Jun 2015, 20:41

It's so wonderful to hear that people were happy. That was the goal, and it'll continue to improve.
Now, I'm going to address this.

Dear Loopingstar, who has never given us the benefit of a first name to know you by,

Why is it people can never see past the retail value of something, that there's sometimes more than A+B=C, that there's a D, E, and F? That there's a bigger picture.

Were you even there?

Third question: Have you lifted a finger by donating time or money on this project?
Much of the work that's been done was through volunteers and donations.
It's taken thousands upon thousands of man hours to deal with the council, Waterbridge, secure funds, acquire, rebuild and restore the attractions on what really, in the big picture, amounts to a shoestring budget.

To site one of your examples...
With vehicles coming and going, of course gravel walkways would be laid down at the last moment as not to make a mess of them. Being in construction, you should either know that or have extrapolated it from simple common sense.

You know, there isn't a formula for this stuff. You put down a date and try to meet it.
Dreamland will forever be a work in progress as opportunities to acquire attractions and make changes present themselves.

I think you're missing the point. You don't seem to see the bigger picture.
The point is that Dreamland is open because of the dedication of a lot of people who not only haven't been paid, but who spent a lot of THEIR OWN TIME AND MONEY on a campaign to save the place for the good of Margate and history. Sure, maybe it wasn't 100% on the preview day.
So what? It'll get there.
You can't always measure happiness or achievement in pounds. Sometimes you spend money to support something you believe in for the greater good.
Some of us see real, tangible value in that.
While you can't see spending 18 pounds, I'm coming all the way from the USA to see and support it.
I wrote and sent airmail letters, made expensive international phone calls, and donated money. Hell, I've spent triple that or more - and I've never even seen the place let alone stepped foot in it.

It's back, we'll get there, and we won. Not Waterbridge, or Jimmy Godden, or the crooked Thanet Council, or Bob.
WE DID. We won, Dreamland won, Margate won. England won.

Case closed.
Kyle & Herbie the Love Bug lll53
Jim Douglas Jr.

Postby Jim Douglas Jr. » 23 Jun 2015, 21:05

To Nick, Sarah, Susan, and everyone who has contributed their time and resources.
Thank you for saving Dreamland and not giving up.
You have all my love and respect.

Kyle W. Sund
San Francisco, California, USA.
Kyle & Herbie the Love Bug lll53
Jim Douglas Jr.

Postby Nick » 23 Jun 2015, 21:30

kevinashe wrote:fantastic seeing it open after all the dark days and almost losing the scenic over the last 12 years.One question for Nick now that dreamland has reopened do you think it will serve as a catalyst for all the other seaside towns that have lost their fairgrounds over the last 20 years or so and whether its masterplan could help rejuvenate other resorts in the uk

I would certainly like to think so. The main problem is that a lot of the former sites have been either completely lost and redeveloped or bulldozed, so it will be a challenge. It could, of course, inspire new sites to be developed in other resorts. There have been a small number of completely new amusement parks opening up in seaside resorts. Plus we have seen Barry Island Pleasure Park and Pleasureland Southport rise from closure, so there is still hope. Ocean Beach Rhyl anybody?
Nick
www.joylandbooks.com
The Home of Amusement Park Books
Nick
Site Admin

Postby EAS » 23 Jun 2015, 21:57

Just don't talk about Pleasureland... sigh.

Combination of English Heritage (HistoricEngland) cock up and a certain person who owned it... I'll say no more.
Ferengi Rules of Acquisition: Rule 76. Every once in a while, declare peace. It confuses the hell out of your enemies.
EAS

Previous

Return to Save Dreamland Campaign Forum