Sky wheels and whip ride

The Save Dreamland Campaign was launched by Joyland Books in January 2003 and is now supported by several thousand people. This is the place to discuss all aspects of saving Margate's famous amusement park and its iconic , Grade II listed Scenic Railway, Britain's oldest roller coaster.

Moderators: dave771, porf, Sarah

Sky wheels and whip ride

Postby dreamland » 28 Jun 2015, 21:29

I do remember the dreamland trust getting hold of the double wheel ride called the sky wheels and a whip ride ! The whip ride looks like a waltzer ride but you actually control what way the seats go , can someone please shed some light on these rides ? Thanks
dreamland

Re: Sky wheels and whip ride

Postby vann98 » 29 Jun 2015, 14:52

Not sure the double skywheels were ever on the agenda, unless you know something we don't?
The only thing we know about the Whip is it is in storage and likely to be restored at a later stage.
I think you will struggle to find out any more concrete details on when it will be restored.

If you really want answers, you should try contacting Sands Heritage seeing as they mainly run the show now.
vann98

Postby SuburbanHomeboy » 29 Jun 2015, 16:44

The Whip and, I think you mean, the Corbiere Wheel, are apparently in storage elsewhere - other forum members have seen them - although the rides are still sitting out in the open.

The Corbiere Wheel has a double rotation, with the base of the wheel turning horizontally as the wheel itself rotates vertically. I believe it is this machine. They used to have one of these at Great Yarmouth, and it was a lot of fun! A Sky Wheel ride, with the two eight-car Big Wheels supported on a larger structure that also rotates vertically, was never on the cards for the new Dreamland project.

The Whip is like the Skid (or Swirl), but with an elongated track, the cars being pulled round by a wire cable between two large pulley wheels at either end. As the drive is to the cable, and the cars are some distance away from the cable, the cars suddenly speed up as they go round the 180-degree turns at either end, causing the cars to swing outwards. No rider control on the Whip - that happens on the Skid, which has Waltzer-like cars with a brake pedal that puts a brake pad on the metal floor of the ride.

Hope that helps!

Rob
SuburbanHomeboy

Postby dreamland » 29 Jun 2015, 17:32

Are we getting another wheel then ? The corbiere wheel aswell as the big wheel we have up now ?
dreamland

Postby SuburbanHomeboy » 29 Jun 2015, 19:20

The Corbiere Wheel is apparently in storage, but wasn't ready to go into the park. The arms were stored outside on the Dreamland site when the Expo was going on.
SuburbanHomeboy

Postby dreamland » 29 Jun 2015, 19:50

When's the wheel going to be in the park ? Are we definitely getting it ? What will the difference be between the big wheel and this wheel ?
dreamland

Postby SuburbanHomeboy » 29 Jun 2015, 20:24

As Vann98 said, you ought to contact Sands, as they are in charge now. I was just putting you right on the actual rides in question. I have no idea if the Whip or Corbiere Wheel will end up going into Dreamland - I'd like to see them both added to the park, as the Corbiere Wheel gives a decidedly different ride to the Rainbow Wheel they have now.

Of course, I'd really like to see the Sky Wheels back in the park ;-)
SuburbanHomeboy

Postby Jim Douglas Jr. » 30 Jun 2015, 03:53

Yes, and instead of just demanding, you should maybe offer to go in and volunteer your time. There's endless manual work that needs to be done on these things. if you can hold a sanding block, you can be of use. No mechanical or electrical skills necessary.
Kyle & Herbie the Love Bug lll53
Jim Douglas Jr.

Postby AJ » 30 Jun 2015, 10:02

Trouble is Jim Sands Heritage are keeping everything close to their chest these days. This operation isn't one that wants peoples input or help anymore or at least so it seems. For a company so 'hip' & 'on trend' they are not using things like social media to their advantage. Try asking them a question either email or social media and see if you get a response. Things are very different from the Trust's days.
AJ

Return to Save Dreamland Campaign Forum