Visit #2 - Thursday 23 July

The Save Dreamland Campaign was launched by Joyland Books in January 2003 and is now supported by several thousand people. This is the place to discuss all aspects of saving Margate's famous amusement park and its iconic , Grade II listed Scenic Railway, Britain's oldest roller coaster.

Moderators: dave771, porf, Sarah

Re: Visit #2 - Thursday 23 July

Postby SuburbanHomeboy » 26 Jul 2015, 08:13

I need to put the record straight regarding the guys who were operating the Speedway - turns out that one of them belongs to the family that used to travel with this very ride, and he knows the machine inside-out. He's shown the others how to run the machine, so those operators are probably the best-trained in how to run the machine itself.

Having said that, my comment about encouraging the younger riders to wave their hands in the air doing a "hand jive" still stands, and I still don't think that their "everyone in a chariot" rides gave a particularly good impression.

I have been lucky enough to operate a similar ride myself, and I know just how big a difference in the ride experience comes about by moving the regulator one notch above the "recommended maximum" - which for that ride was only half-way around the regulator dial.
SuburbanHomeboy

Previous

Return to Save Dreamland Campaign Forum