Fairground items for auction.

The Save Dreamland Campaign was launched by Joyland Books in January 2003 and is now supported by several thousand people. This is the place to discuss all aspects of saving Margate's famous amusement park and its iconic , Grade II listed Scenic Railway, Britain's oldest roller coaster.

Moderators: dave771, porf, Sarah

Fairground items for auction.

Postby Vince, Charlie and Sam » 19 Feb 2016, 10:26

I read that some of these items come from Dreamland, not sure if that is so but it may be of interest to some...

http://www.bidspotter.co.uk/en-gb/aucti ... gesize=240
Vince, Charlie and Sam

Re: Fairground items for auction.

Postby kevin » 19 Feb 2016, 12:17

Lot 79 - Roller Coaster Mine Car All lots are sold as seen...

southport.jpg
southport.jpg (51.21 KiB) Viewed 7908 times

Definitely a car from the Morecambe/Southport Wild Mouse/King Solomons Mine.

Question?
Wasn't this one of the rides 'acquired' for dreamland? If this is for sale on an auction site then one can only assume that it will never appear in Dreamland...or anywhere else in fact?

Another one bites the dust...
Last edited by kevin on 19 Feb 2016, 13:49, edited 1 time in total.
kevin

Postby porf » 19 Feb 2016, 13:40

Bit more info as to where some items came from and who's selling here : http://www.kentonline.co.uk/thanet/news/dreamland-to-auction-log-flume-91263/
Paul Freeman
porf
Site Admin

Postby kevin » 19 Feb 2016, 13:48

Oh dear, I can spot several 'contradictions' and lame excuses for a whole lot of wasted time and money from various quarters in that article.

White man speaks with forked tongue...
kevin

Postby kevin » 19 Feb 2016, 19:12

"Other items on the list put together by James Auctioneers, a company owned by Dreamland CEO Eddie Kemsley's husband, and featuring on the BidSpotter website include a London red bus children's ride which already has one bid for £50 and a large dinosaur display figure".

-Is this not a conflict of interests?
kevin

Postby Chris H » 19 Feb 2016, 19:39

The majority of items for sale are simply old tat which wouldn't really fit into Dreamland without major restoration.
This costs money. What's the point in storing these items if it they don't fit in with the parks plan.

Not forgetting, a large proportion of rides acquired by the trust early on we're "recycled" by "others" whilst in storage on the Dreamland site thus leaving them incomplete.
Chris H

Postby Chris H » 19 Feb 2016, 19:47

kevin wrote:"Other items on the list put together by James Auctioneers, a company owned by Dreamland CEO Eddie Kemsley's husband, and featuring on the BidSpotter website include a London red bus children's ride which already has one bid for £50 and a large dinosaur display figure".

-Is this not a conflict of interests?

Maybe but they state clearly "fees for this sale have been waived", it kind of makes your point invalid Kevin.
Chris H

Postby porf » 19 Feb 2016, 20:38

I think the listing fees have been waived - i.e. what Sands would pay the auction house.

There is still a 20% buyers premium to be paid on the final price. This would generally go to the auctioneers.

IF this is going to James Auctions they they stand to do fairly well out of the auction.
Paul Freeman
porf
Site Admin

Postby kevin » 19 Feb 2016, 20:58

"There is still a 20% buyers premium to be paid on the final price". Yes, exactly.
kevin

Postby stuart » 20 Feb 2016, 16:19

I think the confusion here stems from the fact that the lots are all mixed up.

The items of most value are owned by Sands - log flume ride, sound and lighting rigs from Escape nightclub, roller boots etc.

Aside from that you have some kids rides, lighting from Blackpool and some parts of rides that were destroyed by MTCRC.

The bit that's concerning is the sale of the food court trucks, bar and tea/coffee trailer. I guess these are Sands owned but don't they need these when the park reopens?
stuart

Postby Phillerz » 20 Feb 2016, 17:59

I want it :(
If only i had money and thousands of pounds going spare.... and a garden.

On a serious note though, i do hope dreamland gets a log flume. One is needed badly.
Phillerz

Return to Save Dreamland Campaign Forum