The Bembom Years

The Save Dreamland Campaign was launched by Joyland Books in January 2003 and is now supported by several thousand people. This is the place to discuss all aspects of saving Margate's famous amusement park and its iconic , Grade II listed Scenic Railway, Britain's oldest roller coaster.

Moderators: dave771, porf, Sarah

The Bembom Years

Postby john david » 22 Jul 2004, 11:19

Hello everybody I used to visit Margate when I was a boy and used to love visiting there in the summer. My fave ride would have to be the Looping Star I remember the first time I went on it there was a long que and they had both trains going. I can remember hearing the roar as it came down the hill. I remember one year staying there untill Nine pm which was really great seeing all the lights on all the rides. I also remember getting my hand stampeed as you went in and if you went out and come back in you would put your hand under a uv light and the stamp would show. Another thing that I remember was seeing a model of the park just after you came in does anyone else remember it. I remember the Ladybird ride which used to be over by the Mary Rose and the Astroslide I did brave myself to go on the Mary Rose but I would never go on it again once was enough you always had a big que for the Ladybird. I can remember going on the Astroslide and you had to walk up the stairs my brother and sister was way ahead in front of me and when I came down the slide my mum took a photo of me but someone was comming down as well and the bumped into me. The Water Chute was another good ride that I used to like. There was always a smell of candy floss and popcorn and the park was always lively does anyone remember the ghost train which was replaced by something called Showtime which was not there for very long.
john david

Re: The Bembom Years

Postby Illinformed » 02 Aug 2004, 11:26

john david wrote:Another thing that I remember was seeing a model of the park just after you came in does anyone else remember it.

Yep, I remember this. If I'm not mistaken, I think that Mick Tomlinson had a hand in making the models. I also think I can remember him bringing the models along to an assembly at our Primary school sometime in the 80's.

I worked at BemBoms one Summer in the early 90's and there used to be a couple still on display in the entrance. The rest of the models were being stored in a dusty old room and I can remember at the time thinking it was a great shame. I wonder where they are now?
Illinformed

Postby Nick » 02 Aug 2004, 20:45

They are in Mick Tomlinson's loft!

The Scenic Railway made its first public appearance in a long time at last year's Save Dreamland Convention. Click here to view it:

http://www.joylandbooks.com/scenicrailw ... ention.htm

Nick
Nick
Site Admin

Return to Save Dreamland Campaign Forum