Save Dreamland Campaign Member Park Buyout ?

The Save Dreamland Campaign was launched by Joyland Books in January 2003 and is now supported by several thousand people. This is the place to discuss all aspects of saving Margate's famous amusement park and its iconic , Grade II listed Scenic Railway, Britain's oldest roller coaster.

Moderators: dave771, porf, Sarah

Save Dreamland Campaign Member Park Buyout ?

Postby porterm » 07 Mar 2003, 02:03

Would it be at all feasible for members to all have the opportunity to buy "shares" (of some description) to enable enough money to be raised to obtain the Dreamland site (or part of it) to support the amusement park's revival? It may seem like "pie in the sky" but this has apparently worked with some USA parks previously threatened with closure/ redevelopment. This could be promoted via the internet.

I saw what's left of the current Dreamland on March 5 and it certainly looked quite a sorry sight. The above could become a viable alternative if other solutions cannot be found.

I would welcome any comments/ feedback on the above. Maybe others have more creative or imaginative ideas to employ, if we need to take any alternative route for success.
porterm

Postby Nick » 07 Mar 2003, 21:52

It is unlikely that we could match the amount being offered by Stadium Developments for the retail/leisure scheme. In fact, it would be impossible for even established amusement park operators to match these sort of development land values.

We do, however, have interest in the site from established operators. Thanet District Council has asked us to bring operators to them with their proposals for the site. This can then be taken into account by the council when they are considering whether or not to grant planning permission for the retail/leisure redevelopment. It is certainly not a 'done deal' that planning permission will be granted for the redevelopment.

There also has to be an application for listed building consent. See the News page for the latest proposals for the Scenic Railway, which the Campaign certainly does not support.
Nick
Site Admin

Postby Neil » 22 Mar 2003, 16:44

If we got the chance to buy shares then I would be willing to do so!!!
Neil Wilson
Neil

Re: Save Dreamland Campaign Member Park Buyout ?

Postby Hairy Vince » 07 Feb 2014, 23:55

11 years ago with this post eh!
Hairy Vince

Postby Jim Douglas Jr. » 12 Feb 2014, 01:17

They need to open an account to accept cash donations.
Talk is cheap.
Kyle & Herbie the Love Bug lll53
Jim Douglas Jr.

Postby porterm » 21 Feb 2014, 01:47

Wow - cannot believe it was that long ago that I posted this original post. Early Campaign days too! (Where has the time gone?)

We're all part of the historic revival now. Let's hope there aren't too many more extreme challenges.

Martin

PS Is a donations Dreamland Trust account still live? - internet radio stations even appeal for cash to stay afloat so I cannot see why we wouldn't be any exception (I recently pledged cash to London's Colourful Radio for its ongoing DAB transmission support)
porterm

Return to Save Dreamland Campaign Forum