Grand National

The Save Dreamland Campaign was launched by Joyland Books in January 2003 and is now supported by several thousand people. This is the place to discuss all aspects of saving Margate's famous amusement park and its iconic , Grade II listed Scenic Railway, Britain's oldest roller coaster.

Moderators: dave771, porf, Sarah

Grand National

Postby Nkay11 » 24 Jul 2004, 11:10

Hi all i posted a topic in amusement parks and theme parks but no-one replied and i know most people come in here so i was just wondering if anybody had any news on the grand national at blackpool because im going there for 2 weeks and 3 days in a few weeks and i wondered if it would be open when i get there so if anyone has any news i would appreciate it if they could tell me.
Nigel Kay
Nkay11

Grand National

Postby porterm » 24 Jul 2004, 21:58

Hello Nigel,

Being a member of the European Coaster Club, last I heard from them was that the Pleasure Beach expect it to reopen by the late August Bank Holiday, if not just before. Presumably there will be some kind of relaunch "party" as what with the recent fire and sad Board member news of late I expect they could do with some light-hearted promotional activity.

I've heard quite a few members saying that the ride will never run the same again, what with having to have new trains etc, but I think it will be interesting to compare the new ride experience with the old. Hopefully the ride will be restored to its former glory. However, I always mourn the loss of the park's former classic Virginia Reel coaster they had where the new theatre building now stands near the Noah's Ark side. I only ever got to ride that spinning wooden coaster once, ironically in its final season in 1982. If only I'd known its destiny I'd have taken quite a few more circuits.

Hope you're lucky with the National's reopening on your visit. (You could try checking the park's website for latest news)

Martin Porter 8)
porterm

thanks

Postby Nkay11 » 24 Jul 2004, 23:17

Ok Thanks Ive Already Tried The Site But It Doesnt Even Say About The Fire But Thanks Anyway. :)
Nigel Kay
Nkay11

Postby Nick » 25 Jul 2004, 09:16

I was at the Pleasure Beach last week and the ride is certainly in an advanced state of repair. It had scaffolding all over it, but much of the track and station were in place.

Nick
Nick
Site Admin

Thank you

Postby Nkay11 » 25 Jul 2004, 10:10

Thanks for that nick so it should probably be reopening within a matter of weeks.
Nigel Kay
Nkay11

Postby Nick » 25 Jul 2004, 12:58

I have heard rumours of a 3 September official re-opening (the day of the Illuminations Switch-On), but as with all "new" rides at the Pleasure Beach, if it is ready, no doubt it will open early.

Nick
Nick
Site Admin

Postby AJ » 26 Jul 2004, 12:31

Was at the Pleasure Beach Saturday and popped in yesterday and they were still very active on the ride. I saw them pushing a single 'yellow' car almost up to the end of the platform on the left (as you go in) handside.
AJ

Postby Bobby » 28 Jul 2004, 16:43

Hope its fixed by August 22nd thats when ill be in blackpool,

its a great ride and would love to ride it again

The new 'Bling' Ride is no exchange for the Grand National
Bobby

Postby barcrest » 20 Aug 2004, 18:48

What there was a fire???? I was there a couple of weeks ago and i saw them working on it but didn't realise that is what had happened :cry:

I too am hoping it will be open as it is my favorite ride in the park and i'm there on the bank holiday weekend.
barcrest

Postby AJ » 20 Aug 2004, 21:12

What I had heard they were aiming to open the Nash next Saturday 28th, but there may be an outside chance it could open any time from this Monday!
AJ

Grand National

Postby porterm » 20 Aug 2004, 23:19

Hi all,

I read on some internet site that the Nash was having a new transfer track installed during its station rebuild. Apparently some park officials visited Megafobia at Oakwood in Pembrokeshire recently to check things out with that wooden coaster.

I'd love to re-ride the National again before the close of season but somehow can't really see me making a return trip there again this year. Still, I did have my last bunch of rides on it in April, just before the horrible fire. So many parks .... so little time!

Martin

(who's got to get up @ 0430 this morning to attend a European Coaster w/end trip up in Yorkshire) - time to sleep!
porterm

Postby Gary » 21 Aug 2004, 16:57

Barcrest..Re the fire..some info on it by clicking here:

http://hometown.aol.co.uk/themagiceye/news.html

Hope this helps,

Gary
Please pass through the turnstiles if you are riding again.
Gary

Postby barcrest » 21 Aug 2004, 19:01

Thanks for that gary... That sounds like it could have been a lot worse. Hope it is as much fun as it always was.
barcrest

Return to Save Dreamland Campaign Forum