Open this August?

The Save Dreamland Campaign was launched by Joyland Books in January 2003 and is now supported by several thousand people. This is the place to discuss all aspects of saving Margate's famous amusement park and its iconic , Grade II listed Scenic Railway, Britain's oldest roller coaster.

Moderators: dave771, porf, Sarah

Open this August?

Postby vince69619 » 06 Aug 2004, 11:48

Hi,

I have recently discovered your site, and read the full sad details of this 'once' great theme park. It really saddens me. My first ride on a modern rollercoaster was on the Bemboms Looping Star. And like most after the first ride, I was back in the queue for another go.

The point of my post is to check that what's left of the park is open on Sunday 8th of August 2004, as I plan to drive the two hours to Margate, and do my bit for visitor numbers!

I have also ordered a copy of the DVD that Joyland are selling, showing Dreamland as it was.

Every time I listen to the musical Miss Saigon I think of the park... "Welcome to.. DREAMLAND!"

Vince (yes, another Vince).
vince69619

Re: Open this August?

Postby Vince, Charlie and Sam » 06 Aug 2004, 21:01

vince69619 wrote:Hi,

The point of my post is to check that what's left of the park is open on Sunday 8th of August 2004, as I plan to drive the two hours to Margate, and do my bit for visitor numbers!

Vince (yes, another Vince).

Hi Vince,

Welcome to the site and I hope you can make it on Sunday- yes, the park will be open.

We will be there on Sunday, probably late afternoon-maybe we will see you there.

Most of the rides you will remember from your childhood- Looping Star, Mary Rose- have now gone-

But the best ride of all is still there and running better than ever! :D :D :D

Vince
Vince, Charlie and Sam

Postby vince69619 » 06 Aug 2004, 22:30

Hi Vince,

Yes I realised most of my favorites would be gone.

Other than the scenic railway, my favorites were the Looping Star, the Enterprise, the Ladybird. I didn't brave the Mary Rose after a friend coined the phrase "Who want's my breakfast" whilst at the top.

And spooky as it can get Vince, I will be there with my wife Nicola and our neice Sam. So we match on Vince and Sam!

If you want to meet for a chat over a cuppa, give me a call Sunday on 07976 273717.

Vince.
vince69619

Postby vince69619 » 08 Aug 2004, 22:34

Well we are just back now from our visit to Dreamland, and thanks to the current owners, that's all it is right now, a dream.

What was once a thriving theme park is now a travelling fun fair in a car park, if it wasn't for the scenic railway.

Many thanks to Dave for the welcome and for driving us round on the Scenic Railway as we parted with our tokens. We did our bit for visitor numbers as promised.

In a few weeks time we are off to the Great Dorset Steam Fair, and I have to say (Scenic Railway aside) they put on a better funfair than Dreamland does right now. The Wild Mouse is probably the same size or smaller than the rollercoaster they take to GDSF, and they will also have a log flume and a big wheel to name just two other rides. Last year they had the same ride as the Alton Tower's 'Rip Saw' or Chessingtons 'Rameses Revenge' at GDSF.

It seems to me, if you want to show that a theme park is not viable, this must be the way to do it. Sell off every big ride that you can, put in a few fun fair rides, and then complain.

The ghost train was a joke. Most of the effects did not work, it was pretty much just a twisty train ride in the dark.

I spoke to a friend this morning who's sister was buying a flat in Margate in the last while. It fell through. It was a flat that Mr Godden was involved with (so I am told). My friend said that the flats were refused planning permission by the council, and Mr Godden said then he would close Dreamland (taking Margate's tourist trade with it) because the council refused planning permission on these flats.

I cannot see how anyone can sleep having ripped the heart out of a town for revenge (if my friend is right).

The busy park I knew a few years ago is now a car park and boot sale.

What has been done to this theme park is disgusting. It must be stopped, the park and it's last remaining ride, the Scenic Railway must be saved.

The local council should slap a compulsary purchase order on the park, as a run down amusement park, and then lease it to the guy behind Southend's seafront park. Let Dreamland fulfill dreams again.

Anyone who remembers Dreamland as the great park it was, GO THERE whilst it's open this summer. Push up the visitor numbers to show it's got a following, and post your own feelings on this forum.

Vince.
vince69619

Postby Vince, Charlie and Sam » 08 Aug 2004, 22:49

Hello Vince,

It`s sad, isn`t it? The way Dreamland has gone.

We went to Snowdoniia last year, and North Somerset this year for our holidays.

In both places, there was just so much to see. Slate mines, copper mines, steam railways, the whole lot. We spent a fortune

And it could be the same in east Kent, if only we had local Councils interested in doing something similar. But they aren`t.

We have only ever had one councillor who has had any interest in the Scenic Railway. And that was only because he wanted to steal money from it...............

I just don`t know what we can do. I only know that if the Scenic Railway is demolished next year, that in just five years time everybody will be saying "How the Hell did we let that happen?"

Vince
Vince, Charlie and Sam

Postby vince69619 » 08 Aug 2004, 23:41

Hello Vince,

Do you feel like you are talking to yourself here? For anyone reading this who isn't called Vince, us Vince's rarely get to meet another Vince, so it can be a bit spooky for us!

Back on subject.

I cannot see how the council cannot work out the simple formula, attractions = tourist = surviving community.

In 1920 there were no planes, no foreign holidays, no flying to Paris for the bank holiday. Even in the 80's on bank holidays us late teens would travel about as far as Margate for a special attraction.

Did we play bingo - no. Did we go in the sea - no. Did we go near the beach - no. We parked in the NCP and walked straight round to Dreamland. Bought food on the promenade, and went back into Dreamland. We spent loads, created employment for local students and other workers. Placed demand on the local produce suppliers for their product, except for the pubs. Kept out of those and didn't cause any trouble at all, other than contributed to the traffic.

There are plenty of seaside venues. Without something special, the crowds will be elsewhere, and a HAS BEEN location will have it's name tarnished for decades. Why should people go to Margate, when they can choose Southend, Clacton, Brighton? They won't. The council have to act, or hold their heads in shame.

I am the vice chairman of a registered charity. If I neglected my charity in the same way Vince suggests the council is neglecting Margate, I would expect to find myself up infront of the charity commission for the damage I had done to the very thing I was supposed to be upholding.

Vince (2) - As I seem to be calling myself for ID purposes.
vince69619

Return to Save Dreamland Campaign Forum