SAVE DREAMLAND/SCENIC - SHOCKING NEW TWIST

The Save Dreamland Campaign was launched by Joyland Books in January 2003 and is now supported by several thousand people. This is the place to discuss all aspects of saving Margate's famous amusement park and its iconic , Grade II listed Scenic Railway, Britain's oldest roller coaster.

Moderators: dave771, porf, Sarah

SAVE DREAMLAND/SCENIC - SHOCKING NEW TWIST

Postby iain » 28 Mar 2003, 19:24

All,

Can people please note that Andy Hine, the Chairman of the RCCGB, is trying to encourage the New Pleasurewood Hills Park owner to buy the Scenic Railway for his park.

Although this would be good news for the coaster it would almost certainly spell the end for Dreamland which we are trying to save as well as the coaster itself.

For further details please see the following message board and look for the article 'Help possible save woodie opportunity':-

http://www.crazy-gangs-rollercoasters.n ... /index.php

I personally see this as opportunism by Mr Hine and not in the best interests of the majority involved in the campaign which is to save both coaster and park. I didn't think the campaign would end up being up against a 'coaster enthusuast', I thought it was only Jimmy Godden and Thanet Council we would be up against.

Only when all hope is lost for Dreamland itself should the individual sale of the coaster be thought about.

Regards

Iain
iain

Postby Glen » 29 Mar 2003, 14:41

I agree. At this stage it's all about saving the coaster AND the park. If somebody shows up and makes an offer to buy the coaster and move it elsewhere then it probably won't help the cause - at this stage. However if the campaign is unsuccesful and the park does close then obviously the idea of moving the coaster should be fully explored. Even if that means it leaving the town. But this option shoulnd't be addressed until Plan A has been totally exhausted. At the moment we want everyone pulling in the same direction!

I must admit though, if the coaster does have to leave Margate then Pleasurewood Hills would probably make a nice alternative. Having both of the UK scenic coasters within 10 miles of each other would make for an interesting day out. But I'd much prefer it to stay in Margate though, along with the rest of the park. The idea of moving the coaster should only be considered as an absolute last resort. We need to keep Dreamland open complete with the scenic coaster!

Glen
Glen

Postby Neil » 29 Mar 2003, 21:30

I feel the same. My Grandma lives in Dover so I can get to Dreamland but there's fat chance of getting to Pleasurewoodhills, Scenic or no Scenic. Secondly a reason given to Thanet District council as to why the Scenic Railway should be preserved is that it has historical significance which it wont have to Pleasurewoodhills. Thirdly as I understand it a move will result in the SR losing its listed building status and could protentially involve a tragic disaster like the Rotunda one, if Pleasurewoodhills ever goes bust!!!
Neil Wilson
Neil

Disappointed

Postby Sarah » 29 Mar 2003, 21:37

I don't think we really have anything to worry about here: there is a portable wooden rollercoaster sitting in the Rotunda looking for a buyer - common sense will prevail I think.
However, reading those Forum messages has made me very cross.
"This is a chance for the true 'Coaster Enthusiast' to help save a piece of the UK's Coaster History," says one.
"This is a perfect plan: Jimmy Godden gets to sell, Margate gets to redevelop and Pleasurewood gets its coaster!" says another.
We are fighting so hard to preserve the Scenic and Dreamland and I am really proud of all that we have achieved so far. I am also very disappointed; perhaps it was naive of me, but I expected all the coaster enthusiasts out there to be 100% behind this Campaign. After all, our aim is to preserve the Scenic on its original site as part of a viable amusement park. Surely that's a goal that "true coaster enthusiasts" would applaud.[/quote]
Sarah

Postby iain » 30 Mar 2003, 07:53

Sarah, I agree with your points completely.

Dare I say it that these people will be happy to be seen as the people who saved the scenic coaster if the move goes ahead.

I would prefer to label them the people who killed Dreamland as that would be the inevitable outcome of such an event.

Iain
iain

Postby Neil » 30 Mar 2003, 10:35

If we can Save Dreamland then it should deture history repeating itself with another park going bust. One thing I have been wondering though is if anyone knows approximately how many letters Thanet District Council have recieved? Am I right in thinking if we send enough letters the stages of planning will take another year as another investigation will have to be carried out?
Neil Wilson
Neil

Postby Nick » 30 Mar 2003, 11:12

I am sure the Council has received a large number of letters. There will be a further opportunity to get involved very soon, in response to the revised draft Local Plan. This plan contains a substantially changed policy on Dreamland which we all need to object to it if we want to save the park and the ride. Keep your eyes on the website!

As far as the proposal to move the Scenic Railway to Pleasurewood Hills goes, I would make the following comments:

1. The Scenic Railway is a listed building and cannot be moved without listed building consent. There are a number of hurdles to cross before it is removed, which all require the possibility of retaining the Scenic Railway on-site within an amusement park to be explored. The ride's historical associations with the town are also very important.

2. If it were moved to Pleasurewood Hills, then it would no longer be protected by listed building status.

3. If the Scenic Railway is lost, then we almost certainly lose Dreamland.

It is important for our members to know that we have been making some very good progress with the Campaign over the past few weeks. There is increasing support for the retention of the Scenic railway on the park amongst decision-makers and we have serious interest in the park from a major international theme park operator. We are currently working hard to bring a proposal forward, but as I am sure you appreciate this is very sensitive at the moment. There is likely to be an announcement in the next few weeks. In the meantime, proposals to move the Scenic Railway are likely to be damaging to this campaign.

However, as a very last resort, of course we must look at alternative locations for the Scenic, either in Margate or elsewhere. But at this stage in the process when there has been no planning application, nor has there been an application for listed building consent, then this proposal is premature.

Finally, I spoke to the owner of Pleasurewood Hills on Friday, and it looks like there isn't a suitable location on the park. However, I brought to his attention the fact that there is another, smaller wooden coaster at Folkestone (the Runaway Coaster) that is also portable and can be moved much more cheaply. This coaster also desparately needs to be saved, but has no historical associations with any park. (Plus there is no campaign trying and save it!) He was very interested in this ride and is now discussing it with the owner of Rotunda. If people do want to try and save a wooden coaster by moving it, then their time and effort is best spent on this.

Nick Laister
Save Dreamland Campaign
Nick
Site Admin

Coaster Twist

Postby porterm » 30 Mar 2003, 23:21

I also agree fully with Sarah's comments on this topic. We should all be working towards the ultimate goal to save Dreamland and its famous Scenic Railway. The Scenic repositioning proposal should be a last-ditch proposition.

As Nick Laister has stated, the campaign is going well to-date, and if we all continue to deluge Thanet Council with our letters (must say I have to get mine prepared very soon) we will surely be well on-track.

Incidentally, does anyone remember the old Scenic Railway sign that was positioned on the top of the lift hill structure facing out towards the loading station side? (I seem to remember the signage read "Scenic Rlwy" and was illuminated; it was removed I believe prior to the Bembom Brothers era). I think, if it is still in storage, that it would be great to have it reinstated.

Also, when I first rode the Scenic in the late seventies, I remember there were small red and green traffic signals at certain points on the track.

Just thought I'd mention that for any "anoracks" out there! (only kidding)

Bye for now,

Martin
porterm

Postby coasternutter » 04 Apr 2003, 19:49

I must say that I was annoyed and upset by Andy Hine's comments on the RCCGB message board. I even posted a message to that effect.
We must keep the scenic raiway and Dreamland.
coasternutter

Return to Save Dreamland Campaign Forum