Dreamland Event Planned for Saturday 4 September

The Save Dreamland Campaign was launched by Joyland Books in January 2003 and is now supported by several thousand people. This is the place to discuss all aspects of saving Margate's famous amusement park and its iconic , Grade II listed Scenic Railway, Britain's oldest roller coaster.

Moderators: dave771, porf, Sarah

Dreamland Event Planned for Saturday 4 September

Postby Nick » 19 Aug 2004, 21:47

Dreamland says ‘Goodnight’ for 2004
Saturday 4th September
7pm to midnight

Come and celebrate the last days of Dreamland… well, the last for 2004 anyway!

The Save Dreamland Campaign is planning a special evening to mark the final weekend of the season for everyone’s favourite at-risk amusement park. Come along, have some fun, share your memories – and your grand plans for the park’s future! – and meet fellow campaigners.

The one-and-only Scenic Railway will be running on the evening of Saturday 4 September, from 7pm to midnight – giving you the rare chance to ride in the dark and appreciate the beauty of the Scenic by night, all lit up and evoking memories of the Magic Gardens.

Keen riders can purchase a £10 ticket that will allow unlimited rides during this time. To book your ticket, or for further information, email sarah@savedreamland.co.uk

The ride will also be open to the general public, at the bargain price of £1 a go – it’s the best quid you’ll ever spend!

We’re also hoping to provide food, drink and entertainment on the night, weather permitting. More details of the event will be posted on the Save Dreamland website (www.savedreamland.co.uk) over the coming days.

But remember – it’s not goodbye, only au revoir!

Sarah and Nick
Nick
Site Admin

Dreamland Event

Postby porterm » 19 Aug 2004, 22:14

Hello all,

What a great idea as a finale to this somewhat extremely short season (can't believe it's nearly the end of August already!)

Luckily I'm working until 3.15pm on 4 September so I can make it. I'll also round up all the troops I can to swell the numbers. If everyone can also ask friends and family to attend it would be a great way to finish the 2004 season on a real high. That £10 Scenic unlimited ride deal sounds like the best way to go here!

I'm due to visit some parks in the Yorkshire region this weekend so may not be able to visit Dreamland until late August before this event. I'll obviously do my best to attend on Bank Holiday Monday though (or Tuesday or Wednesday afterwards as I'm off work then).

Looking forward to the Main Event,

Martin

PS Hopefully the media will be in attendance that night.
porterm

Postby vince69619 » 20 Aug 2004, 11:32

I will be thinking of you all. But am already booked out at the Dorset Steam Fair I have been mentioning.

Have a ride for me!

Vince.
vince69619

Postby barcrest » 20 Aug 2004, 18:28

Will the park be fully open for the final day???? Or is it just the senic, i only ask as it's a bit of a trek down from birmingham and i need there to be a little more than the senic to pursuade some friends to come... I just want to come for the senic :D
barcrest

Postby AJ » 20 Aug 2004, 21:10

At a guess the whole park will be open usual hours until 6 (unless its busy and then they may stay open a bit longer) and then from 7 o'clock to midnight it will just be the Scenic. It was a great night last year with the 'roaring 20's' night and I'm sure this year will be just as good!
AJ

Postby Sarah » 20 Aug 2004, 22:26

The whole park will indeed be open until at least 6pm, with the Scenic running right up to midnight.

Tell your friends that everyone, at least once in their lives, has to experience a beano down to Margate!

Sarah
Sarah

Postby Nick » 01 Sep 2004, 22:18

Here is updated details of our event on Saturday. We have had a lot of interest, so it should be a fun evening:

Come and celebrate the last days of Dreamland…well, the last for 2004 anyway!

The Save Dreamland Campaign is hosting a special evening to mark the final weekend of the season for everyone’s favourite at-risk amusement park. 'Dreamland Says Goodnight’ is our big event on Saturday 4th September. Come along, have some fun, share your memories – and your grand plans for the park’s future! – and meet fellow campaigners.

The one-and-only Scenic Railway will be running on the evening of Saturday 4 September, from 7pm to midnight – giving you the rare chance to ride in the dark and appreciate the beauty of the Scenic by night, all lit up and evoking memories of the Magic Gardens.

Tickets are £10 each and that buys you unlimited rides on the Scenic Railway between 7pm and midnight and also entitles you to a voucher for free food and drink (one free burger, hot dog or vegetarian option plus one free hot or cold drink). Your ticket also means you can fast-track the queues! Remember, this could be your last chance to ride this Grade II listed roller coaster!

As a special bonus, Nick Evans, author of ‘Dreamland Remembered’, will be on hand signing and selling the last few remaining copies of his phenomenally successful book, as well as selling Dreamland postcard sets and mugs. We also have a couple of other surprises up our sleeves – but you have to come along to find out what they are!

If you would like to attend, please assemble at the Scenic Railway station from 7pm, where tickets will be on sale. It is open to all, so bring your family and friends and show decision-makers that we care about the future of Dreamland and its Scenic Railway. For those who don’t want to take advantage of the special £10 ‘rides and food’ offer, single ride tickets are also available at £1. You won’t ride a wooden roller coaster in this country for less!

See you there!

Nick Laister
Nick
Site Admin

Return to Save Dreamland Campaign Forum