Old Apollo Ride on Way Back to Dreamland?

The Save Dreamland Campaign was launched by Joyland Books in January 2003 and is now supported by several thousand people. This is the place to discuss all aspects of saving Margate's famous amusement park and its iconic , Grade II listed Scenic Railway, Britain's oldest roller coaster.

Moderators: dave771, porf, Sarah

Old Apollo Ride on Way Back to Dreamland?

Postby porterm » 25 Aug 2004, 22:46

Hi all,

I visited Lightwater Valley Theme Park near Ripon, Yorkshire, last Sunday with the European Coaster Club. Whilst talking to an operator on their new mini tower drop ride, which we seemed to manage to disable, he said that the Apollo converted "wave swinger" ride which is currently at this park was due to return to Dreamland.

Does anyone have any confirmation of this as I was quite intrigued? I rode the ride for nostalgia; you could actually see some of the former orangy colour "moon" surface appearing underneath the repainted green finish on the huge globe ball covering. This ride looked quite awesome in this park's entrance plaza.

Martin
porterm

Postby Nick » 26 Aug 2004, 07:02

I expect that was a reference to the ride returning to Bemboms yard at Dreamland. The ride could be therefore destined for Henk Bembom's Louboun Castle Theme Park in Scotland. Many of Dreamland's former rides are at Loudoun now, even more this year. Check out the website and see how many ex-Dreamland rides you can spot, some from the Bembom era:

www.loudouncastle.co.uk

Henk is doing a fantastic job there.

Nick
Nick
Site Admin

Postby vince69619 » 26 Aug 2004, 09:09

Looks like Henk Bembom knows how to run a park - unlike someone we know of.

So Henk has basically moved most of Dreamland to Scotland then!

My point is that firstly theme parks are still attracting people, secondly, it makes financial sence to buy and move these rides great distances, because they ARE earners.

Is that too hard to understand?

Vince.
vince69619

Postby porterm » 26 Aug 2004, 15:27

Hello Nick et al,

Thanks for the responses. I did wonder if the ride was just going to be stored at Margate again.

Hopefully meet quite a lot of people during the forthcoming "Farewell" event on Saturday 4 September. (I've sent Sarah an email for the £10 Scenic unlimited ride ticket)

Martin
porterm

the heatwave was brilliant

Postby dreamland » 27 Aug 2004, 11:34

on the heatwave i remember trying to kick people from behind .it was so good.or hold on to them in front then push them in to other people.so funny
dreamland

Return to Save Dreamland Campaign Forum