Raising money?

The Save Dreamland Campaign was launched by Joyland Books in January 2003 and is now supported by several thousand people. This is the place to discuss all aspects of saving Margate's famous amusement park and its iconic , Grade II listed Scenic Railway, Britain's oldest roller coaster.

Moderators: dave771, porf, Sarah

Raising money?

Postby Danny87 » 29 Aug 2004, 12:19

This is a complete shot in the dark, but I feel bad that I can't make it on the 4th to show my support for the campaign. I'm presuming that the idea of the farewell night is to attract more support for the campaign to save Dreamland and maybe raise some money towards it. As I can't make it but would like to do something, I had an idea of maybe if anyone was interested in a painting of Dreamland I was thinking of working on, maybe it could be auctioned or raffled off or something with all (if any!) of the money going towards the campaign?
I've been meaning to do a picture of the park for a long time and this would be a good excuse to finally get round to doing it! if it's a silly idea, just shoot me down, I just thought it might be a way to raise some interest and maybe some funds. Even if it went for pennies, it all counts. Please give feedback as to what you think, and any ideas of what sort of picture I could do, i.e. an aerial view, or a particular ride or something.
Oh and by the way, I'm not bragging that I'm a fantastic artist or anything and that I expect everyone to say "that'd be great!", or that I sell my work for loads of money because I don't, it's a hobby!
What do you guys think?
Danny87

Raising Money?

Postby porterm » 30 Aug 2004, 09:56

Hello Danny (I'm assuming that's your name)

Sounds like a good idea to me. Anything to continue to raise the profile of the Campaign is very welcome to me. I just wondered how you were going to be able to paint something on the park living where you live though. (Or would you be painting an image from some photographs).

The obvious image to paint would probably be either the park entrance "tunnel" building from the seafront or a view of the Scenic Railway. Mainly because I believe these are the best long-term remaining icons of the park.

Just my two penny's worth.

Martin
porterm

Postby Danny87 » 30 Aug 2004, 16:44

Hi Martin,
If it's a good idea and worth doing, then yes, it'd have to be from photographs due to my location! I think you're right about the subjects as well, which fit in with the ideas I was having for this picture.
I'll give it a go, although I won't have it done for the 4th (!), and I'll start looking for some pictures for inspiration! I know there are some good galleries on this site. When the picture is eventually done, I'll post it on my own website with links to the campaign and explaining why I painted the park - it's all a little more exposure!
As I said in my last post, it's to promote the campaign as much as anything, and may even raise a little money to boot.
Thanks for your 2 pennies worth, it's nice to know I had a worthwhile idea for once!
Dan
Danny87

Postby Danny87 » 30 Aug 2004, 17:04

PS! The idea I had was either somehow doing some or all of the Scenic Railway, or the Dreamland tower which is a real icon to me.
I'd never thought of the entrance, do you mean the entrance at Hall By The Sea Road and the sloping road that leads in to the park?
There's always the possiblilty of some kind of collage as well, so maybe I'll look into that.
Thanks again,
Dan
Danny87

Return to Save Dreamland Campaign Forum