Theatre Royal Flood Damage

The Save Dreamland Campaign was launched by Joyland Books in January 2003 and is now supported by several thousand people. This is the place to discuss all aspects of saving Margate's famous amusement park and its iconic , Grade II listed Scenic Railway, Britain's oldest roller coaster.

Moderators: dave771, porf, Sarah

Theatre Royal Flood Damage

Postby porterm » 18 Apr 2003, 16:59

Re: "Kent On Sunday" Story of April 13, 2003

I've just seen the above story featured in last Sunday's "Kent On Sunday" newspaper. It seems like it was just as well our Dreamland Convention meeting was rescheduled to Sunday 1 June after the damaging floods that recently damaged the stage area, and other equipment.

It would seem that Margate is attracting more than its fair share of recent disasters. One could think our campaign is being plagued by unhelpful events such as this. On the other hand, being positive, this may have been a blessing in disguise as the original Convention date was not to be, and a later event will be much more successful.

I'm surprised that no-one has commented on the Theatre Royal's misfortunes on this message board, especially as it is the venue for our Convention.

I hope that the venue will be back in action in time for the Save Dreamland Convention.
porterm

Theatre Royal

Postby Sarah » 20 Apr 2003, 18:37

The flood at the Theatre was very sad news; as you say, not a good week for Margate. As I understand it, the main damage is to the stage area, and the Theatre probably won't be re-opening for several months. However, the manager has reassured me that the Convention will be able to go ahead on 1 June as the auditorium is fine. But, yes, just as well we postponed it because I doubt they would have been able to open for us this weekend.

Sarah
Sarah

Return to Save Dreamland Campaign Forum