Good day for all

The Save Dreamland Campaign was launched by Joyland Books in January 2003 and is now supported by several thousand people. This is the place to discuss all aspects of saving Margate's famous amusement park and its iconic , Grade II listed Scenic Railway, Britain's oldest roller coaster.

Moderators: dave771, porf, Sarah

Good day for all

Postby Alan » 01 Jun 2003, 22:51

I just like to say thank you for a good day for all, The whole event went smoothly, But not the weather at the start of the meeting, The ride at the end was great.

All the best

Alan
Last edited by Alan on 02 Jun 2003, 12:54, edited 1 time in total.
Alan

Good Day For All

Postby porterm » 02 Jun 2003, 02:41

Hello all,

As Alan said, the Convention went very smoothly, just a shame about the morning weather. Luckily I managed to miss all the showers; the drive home was really deluged though.

I must apologise to not having enough time to speak to everyone. Thanks to Ian for the brief conversation; sorry I didn't manage to catch up with you again later. I was with a couple of friends, so I found it a bit tricky to circulate freely.

I've yet to view my tape of Meridian TV News, so look forward to that.

Best regards,

Martin Porter
:D
porterm

good day for all

Postby imansfield » 02 Jun 2003, 23:37

Hi everyone,

I just wanted to say a big thanks to Sarah, Nick and everyone else involved for organising what turned out to be a very interesting day. It was also nice to see so many people from all over the country turn up to lend support.

And Martin, yeah, sorry I didnt get to ride the scenic with you. Let me know when your at margate next and perhaps we can meet up and have a few more go's!

Here's to the next 80 years of dreamland and the scenic railway!

Cheers,

Ian Mansfield
imansfield

Postby Ian » 03 Jun 2003, 07:50

I just wanted to add my thanks for a great day. The talk inside the scenic's workshop was really interesting, and all the speakers were great. It's just a shame that I missed Oh Dreamland as we did not get backl from the chippy in time!! Scenic was running very nicely too and it was great that Colin and the others got the second train out for us. Many many thanks to Sarah and Nick and everyone else ionvolved in putting on the event.

Ian
Ian

Postby Chris Ben Kent » 04 Jun 2003, 17:21

:mrgreen: hey guys, i would just like to say thankyou for a great day! the convention was great, i attended it with my friends james and josh, i loved the scenic railway ride at the end, unfortunetely my friend josh has a heart murmor so he didn't like it to much, but i support you guys all the way... it's a shame that no one has updated the site yet!

good luck,
we can't let dreamland go...
Chris Ben Kent

Postby Sarah » 04 Jun 2003, 20:05

Hello everyone

Thanks for your positive comments on the Convention and many thanks to all of you who came along. We've had some very positive news coverage as a result and it was great to meet so many of you. Apologies to anyone who tried to talk to me and was met with a blank look - I was a bit tired and emotional on the day!

In response to the comment about updating the site, I must leap to Nick's defense. We spent all day Monday in Dreamland meetings and a large chunk of Tuesday doing interviews. In spite of this, and whilst managing to hold down a proper job, Nick has ensured that the News Page carries all this week's developments. As ever, I take my hat off to him.

Sarah
Sarah

Soz for the missunderstanding.

Postby Chris Ben Kent » 04 Jun 2003, 20:42

sorry if i upset anyone about the update thing, i was under the impression that somone else did the website, i didn't know that nick worked the site aswell, i too take my hat of to him, he is very dedicated to the cause and i wish your campaign all the best.
i really enjoyed the convention Sarah, great job! :mrgreen:
Chris Ben Kent

Dreamland

Postby Bob Jones » 05 Jun 2003, 15:27

Hopefully the council will see sense and realize what an importent asset Dreamland is. Sadly it has been allowed to become run down but with vision & a first class company running it, it could put Margate back on the tourist map.

Sadly most UK resorts have allowed their facilities to fall into decline and close with the consequence that the tourist disappear. The market has changed and people no longer take their main holiday in the UK but there is a booming market for short breaks.

It was a disaster for Clacton when the Butlins camp closed & the best vision the council had was to build cheap housing on it. A very sad waste of what could have been an importent asset to the town. A wonderful site backing right on to a first class beach & golf course. It could have been developed into a first class tourist attraction. Hopefully Dreamland will not suffer the fate of become a cheap and tacky retail park.
Bob Jones

Postby David Ellis » 06 Jun 2003, 23:50

My wife Susan and I had a great day at the Convention. Apart from the weather in the morning everything went well. I thought David and John did an excellent talk in the workshop in the morning, although we missed the beginning as we were sheltering from the heavy rain.

The convention itself went well, and it was good to see the event well-supported. Susan and I even managed to get included in the presentation...we were the couple that got married on the European Coaster Club trip to USA last year.

Susan had not ridden the Scenic Railway before, so it was a first for her. This was my 3rd visit to Dreamland. It was a shame seeing so much empty space on the site, but riding the Scenic made it all worthwhile.

I have sent a donation to the Trust today. I was very impressed by the dedication and commitment shown by Nick, Sarah, Colin Kiddell and all the staff operating the scenic.

It was also nice seeing the park in its heyday...on Only Fools and Horses wednesday night. Lets hope the park and the scenic can survive and regain its former glory!

David.
David Ellis

Return to Save Dreamland Campaign Forum