Scenic Railway operating?

The Save Dreamland Campaign was launched by Joyland Books in January 2003 and is now supported by several thousand people. This is the place to discuss all aspects of saving Margate's famous amusement park and its iconic , Grade II listed Scenic Railway, Britain's oldest roller coaster.

Moderators: dave771, porf, Sarah

Scenic Railway operating?

Postby Jcoaster » 15 Jun 2003, 23:52

Hi everyone.

I used to visit Dreamland all the time in the 1980's, but I've been away from the area since about 1990 and haven't been back since. However, having learned of the "Save Dreamland Campaign" I am planning to make a visit on Tuesday 24th June.

Can anyone tell me whether the Scenic Railway is in good working order and what other rides I can expect to see at the park.

I realise it will be nothing like the good old days, but I have to see this magical park at least once more before it goes.

Can you also tell me the park opening times.

Many thanks.

James
Jcoaster

Postby AJ » 16 Jun 2003, 10:41

Hi James

The Scenic is in great working order thanks to Dave, John and Colin and is worth a good dozen rides (plus a donation!)!!!

Theres not much else at the park other than the Wildmouse coaster, Log Drop (with the dirtiest green water ever!), Waltzer, Rota, Dodgems and a few kiddies rides. There were signs up at the tokens desk saying they were getting new rides but I can't remember if it was June or July!

And hopefully this won't have to be your last visit to Dreamland (fingers crossed).

AJ
AJ

Postby dave771 » 16 Jun 2003, 21:20

Hi AJ thanx for the mention on your last comment! The new rides are due in for July sometime but nothing definate has been confirmed as yet, what i have heard is that the magic carpet Ali Baba may be coming back and possibly a ride called " Move It", the Sombrero ride is still being used as well as a very poor Ghost Train, and the Go Karts but are not included on wristbands, Make yourself known to me James when u visit the Scenic on the 24th! And im sorry AJ i havent forgotten that brochure but have been very busy on the scenic but will get round to it soon. :)
dave771

Trains to get there

Postby Wilko » 17 Jun 2003, 12:40

Hi there,

I haven't visited Margate before and so I am hoping to visit some time during the summer. I would be getting the train down from Birmingham so what station is best for getting the train from London to Margate?
JawCoasters - UK Coaster Reviews, Pictures and Cartoons
http://www.jawcoasters.co.uk/
Wilko

Re: Trains to get there

Postby Ian » 17 Jun 2003, 14:21

Wilko wrote:Hi there,

I haven't visited Margate before and so I am hoping to visit some time during the summer. I would be getting the train down from Birmingham so what station is best for getting the train from London to Margate?

Use London Victoria - it's a fraction under 2 hours from there. Rail enquiries is 08457 484950, or try www.connex.co.uk

It's a long way to come so have a great time.

Ian
Ian

Re: Scenic Railway Operating?

Postby Jcoaster » 23 Jun 2003, 23:36

Cheers for the info AJ! Just one more thing, what are the park opening times?

Oh, and Dave I am now planning to visit on Wednesday 25th, not the 24th. So, I'll try and make myself known to you.

Cheers!

James
Jcoaster

opening times

Postby dave771 » 24 Jun 2003, 18:07

The park is open from 12 - 4 monday to friday, saturday 11 - 9 and sundays 11 - 6. the opening hours may be changing over the next couple of weeks as the park starts to get busier, I did wonder where you were today james but hopefully will see you sometime tomorow,

Dave
dave771

Return to Save Dreamland Campaign Forum