Shell Grotto

The Save Dreamland Campaign was launched by Joyland Books in January 2003 and is now supported by several thousand people. This is the place to discuss all aspects of saving Margate's famous amusement park and its iconic , Grade II listed Scenic Railway, Britain's oldest roller coaster.

Moderators: dave771, porf, Sarah

Shell Grotto

Postby imansfield » 22 Jun 2003, 17:55

Hi there,

I just wanted to say thanks to the bloke at the Shell Grotto who let me in for free today! It was my first visit to a shell grotto and very interesting it was too :D Its also quite eerie, especially if your the only one down there!

Thanks again,

Ian Mansfield
imansfield

Grotto

Postby Sarah » 01 Jul 2003, 08:47

Hello

Ah, so Brin is letting people in for free while I am out the back having a sneaky cigarette...this would explain why we are skint! Friends of Dreamland are always welcome at the Grotto, especially those who made it to the Fort Lodge Hotel - how long ago does that seem now?!
Glad you liked it.

Sarah
Sarah

shell grotto

Postby imansfield » 01 Jul 2003, 22:34

Hi again,

Actually, I did feel a bit guilty about my freebie, so I put a couple of quid in the donation box. Its a really unique attraction and deserves more support! Everyone here should make a point of visiting next time they're in Margate 8) I might even be paying another visit soon. I'll be in Margate on 11th July to meet some American coaster club members at Dreamland for a few goes on the scenic. I'm sure they would love a quick trip up to the Grotto!

Yes, that night at the Fort Lodge Hotel does seem like ages ago. Things seemed quite bleak for Dreamland back then, but now thanks to everyones hard work the outlook is brighter :D

Ian
imansfield

Postby Sarah » 02 Jul 2003, 00:14

If you can drag them away from the Park, do bring them up - Americans love the Grotto! I shall tape over the donations box too...

Sarah
Sarah

Shell Grotto

Postby Cheryl » 04 Jul 2003, 13:11

I've enjoyed reading the forum messages and thought it was about time I joined in! Yes the Shell Grotto is a must visit I've been many times in the past - it is very mysterious. With the Caves and hopefully a new vibrant Dreamland, Margate has the makings of a great little resort. :lol:
Cheryl
Cheryl

Return to Save Dreamland Campaign Forum