A fantastic Scenic day out - thanks Dave and co.

The Save Dreamland Campaign was launched by Joyland Books in January 2003 and is now supported by several thousand people. This is the place to discuss all aspects of saving Margate's famous amusement park and its iconic , Grade II listed Scenic Railway, Britain's oldest roller coaster.

Moderators: dave771, porf, Sarah

A fantastic Scenic day out - thanks Dave and co.

Postby Jcoaster » 25 Jun 2003, 20:56

Well, finally got to revisit Dreamland for the first time since about 1987, and whilst it was pretty sad to see the park in such a sparse state (especially the car park where rides like the Water Chute used to be), the magic of the Scenic Railway still makes the park sparkle.

I went on three times (my girlfriend only managed twice as she hates wooden rollercoasters, although she admitted it was a really good ride, especially considering the age of the ride), but the highlight for me was seeing the workshop and the power room.

I just want to say thanks to you Dave, and John as well for making me so welcome and taking the time and trouble to speak to me and show me around. It made the day out a very special one for me.

Dave, please let me know when the park starts regularly opening to about 9pm or 10pm, as I'd love to ride the Scenic at night.

Thanks again and I whole-heartedly pray that you guys, Nick etc, manage to save not only the Scenic Railway, but the park too. Who knows, maybe in a few years time I'll be revisiting Dreamland in the sort of glorious state it used to be in.

Cheers
James
Jcoaster

Scenic Visit

Postby porterm » 26 Jun 2003, 23:03

Hello James,

Glad you managed to take your trip back to Dreamland. We all sadly have to agree that the park has seen better days but have to remain optimistically united in our Campaign for its revitalised future, with hopefully a fully committed new operator.

Keep spreading the word that the park is open for business, and the Save Dreamland Campaign is on-track. Maybe you can get your friends, family and anyone you know to visit the Save Dreamland website and maybe join the Campaign.

I don't get many weekends off work but will do my best to ride the Scenic whenever I can, however I live a lot closer to the park than you.

Bye for now,

Martin

:D
porterm

scenic visit

Postby Jcoaster » 27 Jun 2003, 23:23

Hi Martin.

Don't worry, I've been telling all my family about my revisit to Dreamland. My Dad in particular was very interested as he used to go to the park all the time when he first started going out with my Mother! Now, that's a long time ago :wink:

What's more, I certainly want to return to the park again at least one more time this season (and definitely at nightime). I've now ridden all kinds of coasters, including some hugely impressive rides in America, but the Scenic Railway still remains very special, of that there is no doubt.

Hopefully you're right. One day we may yet see Dreamland back on it's feet as a fully operational park, spearheaded of course, by the Scenic Railway!

Hope you get to go the park a few times this year. After all, living in Maidstone, you're nearer than me so you have less of an excuse :wink:

Take care now

James
Jcoaster

Return to Save Dreamland Campaign Forum