Scenic railway

The Save Dreamland Campaign was launched by Joyland Books in January 2003 and is now supported by several thousand people. This is the place to discuss all aspects of saving Margate's famous amusement park and its iconic , Grade II listed Scenic Railway, Britain's oldest roller coaster.

Moderators: dave771, porf, Sarah

Scenic railway

Postby moonchild » 26 Jun 2003, 19:47

I have visited Dreamland for the first time last summer and was totally thrilled about the scenic railway - I think my children and I rode it about a dozen times on each of the three days we went to Margate! :D After we got home to Germany again, I searched the net for information about the park and the coaster and was astonished to read it was more than 80 years old. Got some funny reactions from friends and family, btw - like, "what, you rode on a rollercoaster that's 80 years old? Are you suicidal?" :roll:

Our next holiday in Kent is booked for this summer and of course we wanted to go back to Dreamland - there may be more appealing theme parks, but NONE of them has an attraction like the scenic railway!!! Margate wouldn't be the same without it. I have followed all the news and discussions since January from the distance and now am so relieved to hear the coaster is operating! A big thank you to those who have been campaigning to save Dreamland, keep up the good work!

Greetings from Germany, and I can't wait to come back! :mrgreen:
moonchild

Scenic railway

Postby Jcoaster » 27 Jun 2003, 23:29

All the way from Germany to little old Margate! Makes my journey from Brighton last Wednesday seem very small indeed.

Anyway, I know exactly what you mean about the Scenic Railway. I've ridden huge wooden coasters in America (the enthralling "Gwazi" at Six Flags Mountain for example), but there is truly something special about the 80 year old "Scenic". Thanks to the guys working hard to keep the ride operating, it's running like a dream at the moment and I can't wait to go back later this year.

Hope you enjoy your visit!

Cheers
James
Jcoaster

Return to Save Dreamland Campaign Forum