Is the Scenic Railway smaller than it used to be?

The Save Dreamland Campaign was launched by Joyland Books in January 2003 and is now supported by several thousand people. This is the place to discuss all aspects of saving Margate's famous amusement park and its iconic , Grade II listed Scenic Railway, Britain's oldest roller coaster.

Moderators: dave771, porf, Sarah

Is the Scenic Railway smaller than it used to be?

Postby Vince, Charlie and Sam » 24 Apr 2016, 16:05

Unfortunately we haven't been to Dreamland yet... I am rarely in Thanet nowadays and my boys are at that age where there are 1001 more interesting things to do than hang around with the Old Man!

But we did go for breakfast today and on the way to the rather excellent Beano Cafe in King Street we pulled into the Dreamland car park to see how the place was looking. All three of us thought that the Scenic Railway wasn't as tall as it was before the fire, and that the gradient of the pull-ups was shallower.

Of course, this could be "false memory", but was the Scenic Railway re-built to the same plans as the earlier incarnation, or is it actually smaller?
Vince, Charlie and Sam

Re: Is the Scenic Railway smaller than it used to be?

Postby Phillerz » 27 Apr 2016, 20:09

as far as i know they replaced the pieces as they removed them. To keep it exactly the same. I think the higher trains on it makes the drops seem more shallow and it look smaller.
Phillerz

Postby aweber1us » 29 Apr 2016, 13:44

My under standing of it was none of it was quite as high as it was before. As well as some of the up hills were changed to stop train lift. If you look at the first pull up you can see that things are very different to how it use to be. To be fair the ride has changed over the years and as far as I know there were no plans for it. There are now a set of plans if it ever needs a full rebuild. The Ride quality is just as good as it ever was ,try it you will love it
aweber1us

Postby Jim Douglas Jr. » 03 May 2016, 21:03

In other words, none of ran at ground level, so everything's been lowered the same amount, which would not affect the relative height or distance of the drops.
This would save on materials and maintenance, and ultimately not change the actual profile.
Kyle & Herbie the Love Bug lll53
Jim Douglas Jr.

Postby ricardobugsy » 11 May 2016, 17:41

The link below shows a splitscreen video comparing the old vs new scenic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iFLMod1xF6U
ricardobugsy

Return to Save Dreamland Campaign Forum