Ex - BPB The Whip

The Save Dreamland Campaign was launched by Joyland Books in January 2003 and is now supported by several thousand people. This is the place to discuss all aspects of saving Margate's famous amusement park and its iconic , Grade II listed Scenic Railway, Britain's oldest roller coaster.

Moderators: dave771, porf, Sarah

Ex - BPB The Whip

Postby sparky2u » 21 Sep 2016, 08:17

Is there any new about rebuilding the ex- BPB The Whip if its in storage at Dreamland..?
sparky2u

Re: Ex - BPB The Whip

Postby kevin » 21 Sep 2016, 18:46

Last seen rusting away uncovered on the shore at Ramsgate Port.
kevin

Postby sparky2u » 21 Sep 2016, 19:19

kevin wrote:Last seen rusting away uncovered on the shore at Ramsgate Port.

Any pic's of the Whip at Ramsgate Port as this ride should of been saved since it was the only one left in the country & part of our history.
sparky2u

Postby kevin » 21 Sep 2016, 19:38

I emailed the Thanet Gazette three times asking them to investigate this travesty and didn't they didn't even have the courtesy to reply.

whip2.jpg
Whip and Corbiere Wheel
whip2.jpg (22.52 KiB) Viewed 22553 times
whip1.jpg
Whip and Corbiere Wheel
whip1.jpg (24.3 KiB) Viewed 22553 times

THE STORY GOES:

Tuesday, 2 February 2016
Thanet Council's Historic Fairground Rides Vandalism.
Vintage fairground rides, destined for the Margate Dreamland Amusement Park, which were purchased using government grants, have been “left to rot” at Ramsgate Port says former Green Party councillor Ian Driver.

The rides including a Corbiere Wheel; a Junior Whip; and an American Whip have been stored outside, without cover or protection, for a year and have become badly damaged by continual exposure to the elements.

Said Driver “these rides are of great historic importance, some of them are over 70 years old and are amongst a tiny handful of surviving examples. The Heritage Lottery Fund allocated £1.235 million to restore these, and other rides, to their former glory for the public to use and enjoy at Dreamland. But sadly they have been dumped at the port of Ramsgate forgotten about and allowed to rot and deteriorate. It’s probably too late to restore them now as they have become so badly damaged. This is an insensitive act of historic vandalism by Thanet Council and the latest in a series incompetent blunders by senior TDC officers responsible for managing the Dreamland project".
Its is understood that in order to make space for the car importation contract at Ramsgate Port, the rides will shortly be moved to another Thanet location where, once again, these valuable historical rides will be left outside unprotected from the elements.-
Attachments
whip3.jpg
Whip and Corbiere Wheel
whip3.jpg (30.39 KiB) Viewed 22553 times
kevin

Postby sparky2u » 21 Sep 2016, 20:00

Thanks for the update, such a great loss for this ride to be rusting away with no protection, I hope something can be done soon. If a new owner is found they could contact Kennywood Park in the USA to see if its possible to rebuilt the ride.

Here is the Whip in 2009 at BPB when I visited, sadly it was closed n waiting to be removed.

sparky2u

Postby kevin » 21 Sep 2016, 20:29

A great ride, I remember it well. It was surprisingly thrilling as the cars flipped around the ends. Pleasure Beach effectively killed this ride by moving it to under the Revolution. It was a much more popular ride at its original location.
kevin

Postby sparky2u » 22 Sep 2016, 06:32

Why did BPB get rid of this and the Tumble Bug as both are very rare rides & needed to be kept.
sparky2u

Postby Nick » 22 Sep 2016, 23:08

The Whip still exists and is no longer on Ramsgate Port. We are looking for funding to move it to a covered location. We need both the transport funds and also a place to keep it. Can anybody help?
Nick
www.joylandbooks.com
The Home of Amusement Park Books
Nick
Site Admin

Postby Bob » 23 Sep 2016, 09:31

I assume from this that it is as I thought they remain in the ownership of The Dreamland Trust
Bob

Postby Jim Douglas Jr. » 30 Sep 2016, 21:26

Instead of whining, do something!
It's people that get this stuff done, not some magical invisible entity. Start asking around for people who might have storage space or flatbed trucks or vans, or be willing to sponsor them.
Kyle & Herbie the Love Bug lll53
Jim Douglas Jr.

Postby smilerbaker » 03 Oct 2016, 12:27

given the total lack of any information from either the trust, operators, administrators or TDC It would take a total moron to offer any help / finances to anything dreamland related. Seriously the trust need to start pulling there finger out or admit its all over. The fact these rides have been outside all this time (and next to the f/*?'ing OCEAN ffs) kinda tells me all I need to know, big ideas, short on implementation.

dreamland - rip
smilerbaker

Postby Jim Douglas Jr. » 25 Oct 2016, 20:53

Yeah, it's a dirty shame.
Maybe some personal appearances at some council meetings would help.
They don't seem to respond well to electronic inquiries, so you should remind them that they work for the people and owe you an answer.
I had to do that several years ago, all the way from the USA. Seems they lost touch of the fact that they're public servants.
I had to remind them to start serving the public, not their own interests.
Kyle & Herbie the Love Bug lll53
Jim Douglas Jr.

Postby sparky2u » 02 Mar 2017, 09:13

A guy from Coasting around the UK Facebook page visited Margate and took some pic's of the Whip which is just dumped outside open to the weather, this ride is super rare and should be restored to its original condition asap. Dreamland could ask Kennywood Theme Park in the USA for help in restoration if they wanted. A lotto grant would pay for everything.

His report and pictures:

On a visit to Margate last weekend, I stumbled upon the remains of the Whip from Blackpool Pleasure Beach and the Corbiere Wheel which was located at Southport Pleasureland for a time. Hopefully these will be restored and make an appearance at Dreamland Margate some time in the future.

sparky2u

Postby aweber1us » 07 Mar 2017, 07:35

Great ride and such a shame to see a one off ride like this rotting away. Ive not heard of any plans to do anything with it , it would look so good in Dreamland.
aweber1us

Postby woody » 10 Mar 2017, 18:08

smilerbaker wrote:given the total lack of any information from either the trust, operators, administrators or TDC It would take a total moron to offer any help / finances to anything dreamland related. Seriously the trust need to start pulling there finger out or admit its all over. The fact these rides have been outside all this time (and next to the f/*?'ing OCEAN ffs) kinda tells me all I need to know, big ideas, short on implementation.

dreamland - rip

the rides have always been outside :wink:
woody

Next

Return to Save Dreamland Campaign Forum